Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default This week's most extreme markup

Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

I was on Pipex 1Mbit (fixed) paying £23.44 - moved to Sky (potentially
up to 16Mbit, but in reality due to line length / noise i'm getting only
4x the speed of my old line, but at only £10 per month instead.

It doesn't beat it in direct terms, but the £/speed ratio is about the
same :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700, "
wrote:

On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Nah, a give-away.

Try HDMI cables. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Pecanfan wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit
(consisting of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell
for £3.17. They sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top
that?
Andy

A small bottle of water at Gatwick Airport (after Security!) is £1.80

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 4, 3:38 pm, EricP wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Nah, a give-away.

Try HDMI cables. )

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-04 16:29:35 +0100, "
said:

On Apr 4, 3:38 pm, EricP wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (con

sisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. T

hey
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Nah, a give-away.

Try HDMI cables. )

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

yes, they're right up there, aren't they....

However, part of this is probably use of unnecessary materials as well
as margin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr 2007 08:29:35 -0700, "
wrote:

On Apr 4, 3:38 pm, EricP wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Nah, a give-away.

Try HDMI cables. )

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

Jesus!
Speechless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:11:41 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-04-04 16:29:35 +0100, "
said:

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

yes, they're right up there, aren't they....

I'm surprised at you slumming it in such a cheap emporium :-)

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=1549&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU

2m IEC kettle lead for only £3,065. It does have 24 Hyper Pure
VariStrand silver conductors insulated with Teflon for very low
resistance though.

For markup though it must be

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=4227&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:11:24 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

For markup though it must be

Looking further the shelves at

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=4010&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU

probably count as greatest markup - £1,500 for a set of shelves.

"Don't be fooled into thinking this is just a simple piece of wood;
each piece is handmade by a skilled scraftsman. More air than wood,
Torlyte is constructed from individually fabricated grids and skins,
requiring numberous complex machine and manual operations. All this
naturally comes at a price, but we believe that the sonic payoff
makes it an extremely worthwhile investment."

Might be because of the price of the scraftsmen - it's a rare trade
although numberous machines are also quite unusual. I suspect the
comment about more air than wood is particularly appropriate.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-04 16:29:35 +0100, "
said:

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

yes, they're right up there, aren't they....

I'm surprised at you slumming it in such a cheap emporium :-)

You don't *really* think I'd buy anything from there do you?

As soon as one sees something with a 5* review by one hi-fi mag and one
from another, there's clearly something adrift.

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=1549&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU

2m

IEC kettle lead for only £3,065. It does have 24 Hyper Pure
VariStrand silver conductors insulated with Teflon for very low
resistance though.

For markup though it must be

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=4227&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU

What

a scam. I could knock those out on the lathe really easily. Fancy
twiddles as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
On 4 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700, "
wrote:

On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit
(consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Nah, a give-away.

Try HDMI cables. )

£4.99 expensive then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

Jesus!
Speechless

But they are selling a warm fuzzy feeling to the stupid.
There are plenty of them about too.
As long as they don't start claiming that their warm fuzzy feeling digital
(like HDMI) cables actually produce better sound or vision than the £5 ALDI
ones they are not doing anything wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:05:19 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

Jesus!
Speechless

But they are selling a warm fuzzy feeling to the stupid.
There are plenty of them about too.
As long as they don't start claiming that their warm fuzzy feeling digital
(like HDMI) cables actually produce better sound or vision than the £5 ALDI
ones they are not doing anything wrong.

Ah while you are about!

Can I replace Li laptop cells in the battery with NiMh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-04 17:18:38 +0100, EricP said:

On 4 Apr 2007 08:29:35 -0700, "
wrote:

On Apr 4, 3:38 pm, EricP wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:10 pm, "Pecanfan" wrote:
Just noticed that MFI charged me £39 for a cooker hood duct kit (consisting
of some flexi hose and a wall vent) that Screwfix sell for £3.17. They
sly'd that one in! Little scamps... Can anyone top that?

Andy

The price of USB cables in high street shops.

MBQ

Nah, a give-away.

Try HDMI cables. )

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

Jesus!
Speechless

It's not Sunday yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message

Can I replace Li laptop cells in the battery with NiMh?

No.
Well not easily.
The Li pack includes the electronics to control the charging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes

On 2007-04-04 16:29:35 +0100, "

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...1&region=UK&cu
rrency=GBP&pf_id=1549&customer_id=PAA045604210744 7SBRLKHIINVGFJKNU

2m IEC kettle lead for only £3,065. It does have 24 Hyper Pure
VariStrand silver conductors insulated with Teflon for very low
resistance though.

For markup though it must be

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...1&region=UK&cu
rrency=GBP&pf_id=4227&customer_id=PAA045604210744 7SBRLKHIINVGFJKNU

"Screws included"

practically a giveaway then

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .

How about anything from http://www.cleareraudio.com/?

MBQ

Jesus!
Speechless

But they are selling a warm fuzzy feeling to the stupid.
There are plenty of them about too.
As long as they don't start claiming that their warm fuzzy feeling digital
(like HDMI) cables actually produce better sound or vision than the £5 ALDI
ones they are not doing anything wrong.

Who was it I remember selling mains cables for ~£75 ?

deoxygenated copper or something

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:28:21 GMT, raden wrote:

Who was it I remember selling mains cables for ~£75 ?

deoxygenated copper or something

Cheap; the one at
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=1549&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU
is a tad over £3,000 for a single 2m mains lead. In fact the "tad
over" alone would probably buy about 30-50 IEC mains leads for normal
people.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:28:21 GMT, raden wrote:

Who was it I remember selling mains cables for ~£75 ?

deoxygenated copper or something

Cheap; the one at
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency =GBP&pf_id=1549&customer_id=PAA0456042107447SBRLKH IINVGFJKNU
is a tad over £3,000 for a single 2m mains lead. In fact the "tad
over" alone would probably buy about 30-50 IEC mains leads for normal
people.

I notice that you can save £1000 by having a socket put it so you only need
the 1m cord rather than the 2m cord.
I assume the user is just going to get an electrician in and fit a 2.5 mm
spur using £1 worth of T&E rather than the £1000 a meter cable.

I am surprised that this expensive high level kit the users buy has such a
poor design and such cheap components in them that adding a filter to the
mains lead makes any difference at all.
Maybe its to improve the sound from an ASDA midi system?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jon wrote:
PC World charging £17.99 for 1 ADSL microfilter. I got 3 from ebuyer at
£1.01 each plus a quid for post.

The performance of ASDL filters varies enormously. That's not to say the
cheap one is worst, though.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:57:54 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I notice that you can save £1000 by having a socket put it so you only need
the 1m cord rather than the 2m cord.
I assume the user is just going to get an electrician in and fit a 2.5 mm
spur using £1 worth of T&E rather than the £1000 a meter cable.

Good gracious no, one would use the Superior Ring Main cable with 16
Hyper-pure copper conductors insulated with Teflon at only £4,200 for
a 100m drum.

For sockets one would use the SuperSocket, a snip at only £25.95 each
as they are specially treated with DeoxIT™ PowerBooster to maintain
their performance and keep them free of oxidisation. Choosing the
earth terminal option lets you add an additional earth for your
system, improving bass performance and the soundstage.

Obviously one would use a couple of UltraPurifier Platinum Edition
superior passive differential and common mode filters at £450.00
each.

If an extension lead is required the Ultra PurifierBlock-Ag is a
pretty good bargain at a mere £1,185 as it gives you four sockets and
makes your music more rhythmic and musical. It also gives you
clearer, brighter pictures with more saturated colours.

This would easily leave you with enough in the budget to pick up a
couple of 11 ft lengths of speaker cable at a mere £20,640 for two.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

wrote:

I notice that you can save £1000 by having a socket put it so you
only need the 1m cord rather than the 2m cord.
I assume the user is just going to get an electrician in and fit a
2.5 mm spur using £1 worth of T&E rather than the £1000 a meter
cable.

Good gracious no, one would use the Superior Ring Main cable with 16
Hyper-pure copper conductors insulated with Teflon at only £4,200 for
a 100m drum.

For sockets one would use the SuperSocket, a snip at only £25.95 each
as they are specially treated with DeoxITT PowerBooster to maintain
their performance and keep them free of oxidisation. Choosing the
earth terminal option lets you add an additional earth for your
system, improving bass performance and the soundstage.

Obviously one would use a couple of UltraPurifier Platinum Edition
superior passive differential and common mode filters at £450.00
each.

If an extension lead is required the Ultra PurifierBlock-Ag is a
pretty good bargain at a mere £1,185 as it gives you four sockets and
makes your music more rhythmic and musical. It also gives you
clearer, brighter pictures with more saturated colours.

This would easily leave you with enough in the budget to pick up a
couple of 11 ft lengths of speaker cable at a mere £20,640 for two.

Waste of money unless you have a proper hi-fi CU and meter tails too.
--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message

Waste of money unless you have a proper hi-fi CU and meter tails too.

Which gives the best power though? A steam generator, driven by nuclear or
coal, a gas turbine, a windmill, a waterwheel, solar, battery (with inverter
of course), etc..

(I'm guessing battery, with enough volts to be connected in place of the
transformers. But then what chemistry?)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
"Screws included"

practically a giveaway then

Just perfect for listening to MP3s or cassettes...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:

(I'm guessing battery, with enough volts to be connected in place of the
transformers. But then what chemistry?)

Argentum-bovine-excreta of course.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:28:21 GMT, raden wrote:

Who was it I remember selling mains cables for ~£75 ?

deoxygenated copper or something

Cheap; the one at
http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...1&region=UK&cu
rrency=GBP&pf_id=1549&customer_id=PAA045604210744 7SBRLKHIINVGFJKNU
is a tad over £3,000 for a single 2m mains lead. In fact the "tad
over" alone would probably buy about 30-50 IEC mains leads for normal
people.

That's the one

How could I have thought that they were SO cheap ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge wrote:
You have to admire these people for separating the punters from the readies
with such efficiency. And anyone stupid enough to believe this nonsense
deserves to be fleeced.

The weird thing is, some people who are actually in posession of a
functioning brain do fall for this sort of idiocy.
One of my colleagues was asking me and the drilling rig's electrician
for comments about this very site, because he was concerned about mains hum
in his hi-fi system. Even with the electrician telling him that the whole
concept is ********, and me offering to lash him up a motor-generator set, or
even a kettle/ steam engine/ generator set ... he still wasn't convinced that
there were more effective ways to get rid of his mains hum problem. He didn't
*want* to be convinced ; he wanted to spend his money (and his wife's and
baby's food money) on this sort of delusion. Mad. But still a perfectly good
geologist.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Aidan Karley
writes
The weird thing is, some people who are actually in posession of
a functioning brain do fall for this sort of idiocy.
One of my colleagues was asking me and the drilling rig's
electrician for comments about this very site, because he was concerned
about mains hum in his hi-fi system. Even with the electrician telling
him that the whole concept is ********, and me offering to lash him up
a motor-generator set, or even a kettle/ steam engine/ generator set
... he still wasn't convinced that there were more effective ways to
get rid of his mains hum problem. He didn't *want* to be convinced ; he
wanted to spend his money (and his wife's and baby's food money) on
this sort of delusion. Mad. But still a perfectly good geologist.

There are instances when mains hum does occur due to ground loops. These
can be fixed with sensible audio cabling and on a balanced system you
can lift the screen at the signal source end of a line-level cable. For
completely awkward electronically induced hum and noise (like a laptop
connected to your hi-fi!) you can use a pair of audio isolating
transformers as available form Maplin (Bleurg!) at a modest price. (Go
for the car audio ones where they are paired in a plastic tube with a
pair of phono connectors at each end.

There are some in the professional audio industry who are so utterly
clueless that they actually believe that "lifting the ground" means
cutting the earth wire in the mains plug! This is a great way to kill
people.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:39:39 GMT, Clive Mitchell
mused:

There are some in the professional audio industry who are so utterly
clueless that they actually believe that "lifting the ground" means
cutting the earth wire in the mains plug! This is a great way to kill
people.

I see that quite often in large CCTV installations where there are
problems with earth loops, solution, cut out all the earths.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan Karley" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Huge wrote:
[...]

There are many that are so clueless that they spend a fortune on a D/A
converter in their amp and then waste money on a £1000 CD player when it
will sound exactly the same as a £25 Asda DVD player.
You will never convince them that they are wrong though as that would be
admitting they are idiots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Mitchell wrote:
There are instances when mains hum does occur due to ground loops. These
can be fixed with sensible audio cabling and on a balanced system you
can lift the screen at the signal source end of a line-level cable. For
completely awkward electronically induced hum and noise (like a laptop
connected to your hi-fi!) you can use a pair of audio isolating
transformers as available form Maplin (Bleurg!) at a modest price. (Go
for the car audio ones where they are paired in a plastic tube with a
pair of phono connectors at each end.

There are some in the professional audio industry who are so utterly
clueless that they actually believe that "lifting the ground" means
cutting the earth wire in the mains plug! This is a great way to kill
people.

With standard unbalanced connections, removing the mains earths from
everything but one is usually the best way to go. Of course I can't
recommend it on here...

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
With standard unbalanced connections, removing the mains earths from
everything but one is usually the best way to go. Of course I can't
recommend it on here...

Oh dear. There appear to be people still doing it.

So you have equipment with floating mains earths and you have earthed
equipment. A fault occurs, someone bridges the two pieces of equipment
and gets killed.

You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment. It's a very
misguided bit of technical folklore that has already caused several
serious accidents. The correct way to lift ground on a balanced system
is to disconnect the cable screen at the source end of the cable so that
the input device is providing the screen reference.

If you do disconnect equipment earths in the way you've described and
someone does die you will be held accountable for their death and will
face a charge of manslaughter.

Here's a video of a singer experiencing a potential difference between
the microphone and the strings of her guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ME9auafrvM
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive Mitchell
writes
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
With standard unbalanced connections, removing the mains earths from
everything but one is usually the best way to go. Of course I can't
recommend it on here...

Oh dear. There appear to be people still doing it.

So you have equipment with floating mains earths and you have earthed
equipment. A fault occurs, someone bridges the two pieces of equipment
and gets killed.

You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment.

Well, actually ....

sometimes you do

on a scope - might be naughty, but sometimes necessary

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Mitchell wrote:
With standard unbalanced connections, removing the mains earths from
everything but one is usually the best way to go. Of course I can't
recommend it on here...

Oh dear. There appear to be people still doing it.

So you have equipment with floating mains earths and you have earthed
equipment. A fault occurs, someone bridges the two pieces of equipment
and gets killed.

No - it earths via the screen on the connecting cable.

You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment. It's a very
misguided bit of technical folklore that has already caused several
serious accidents. The correct way to lift ground on a balanced system
is to disconnect the cable screen at the source end of the cable so that
the input device is providing the screen reference.

Balanced system? With correctly designed balanced connections you won't
get an earth loop, even with separately earthed equipment casings. That's
why it's used on pro equipment. I'm talking about unbalanced domestic.

If you do disconnect equipment earths in the way you've described and
someone does die you will be held accountable for their death and will
face a charge of manslaughter.

Yeh yeh... Can you give an example of where this has happened?

Here's a video of a singer experiencing a potential difference between
the microphone and the strings of her guitar.

I can't access that video. However, most of these sort of accidents happen
because the location mains supply is faulty. So the correct approach was
to use *mains* isolating transformers. And always was. Although these days
RCDs take care of the safety angle.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
raden wrote:
You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment.

Well, actually ....

sometimes you do

on a scope - might be naughty, but sometimes necessary

Most decent workshops should have a mains isolating transformer
available. Mine has. ;-)

Haven't looked recently, but they are similar in looks and price to a
110v site transformer - if you want a portable type.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Clive Mitchell
writes
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
With standard unbalanced connections, removing the mains earths from
everything but one is usually the best way to go. Of course I can't
recommend it on here...

Oh dear. There appear to be people still doing it.

So you have equipment with floating mains earths and you have earthed
equipment. A fault occurs, someone bridges the two pieces of equipment
and gets killed.

You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment.

Well, actually ....

sometimes you do

on a scope - might be naughty, but sometimes necessary

Its only necessary for those that don't want to fix the problem in the
correct way.
screened TP cable is a good way to get earth problems especially when its
100+m and terminated in different buildings.
once you understand how to deal with that audio stuff over a couple of
meters is easy.
Just keep a soldering iron and some ceramic caps handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment.

Well, actually ....

sometimes you do

on a scope - might be naughty, but sometimes necessary

Most decent workshops should have a mains isolating transformer
available. Mine has. ;-)

I have one

I've still disconnected the scope earth from time to time

Haven't looked recently, but they are similar in looks and price to a
110v site transformer - if you want a portable type.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , raden
writes
You NEVER disconnect the mains earth from equipment.

Well, actually ....

sometimes you do

on a scope - might be naughty, but sometimes necessary

That's an electrical workshop environment. Besides the correct
procedure is to use a mains isolation transformer where possible. These
days I use a battery powered scope.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com