Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting rid of Creosote smell

I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below and
the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process. I
have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation. The
kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year anyway so
I can remove some plasterboard now.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below
and the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process.
I have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation.
The kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year
anyway so I can remove some plasterboard now.

Adam

I could come round and just sniff it up. I absolutely adore the smell of
creosote About 38 years ago we used to sneak into the groundsman's shed at
school for a sniff of the stuff )

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below
and the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process.
I have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation.
The kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year
anyway so I can remove some plasterboard now.

Adam

I could come round and just sniff it up. I absolutely adore the smell of
creosote About 38 years ago we used to sneak into the groundsman's shed at
school for a sniff of the stuff )

Second only to fresh tarmac ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:56:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below and
the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process. I
have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation. The
kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year anyway so
I can remove some plasterboard now.

Adam

Isn't it illegal now, because it is carcinogenic?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:56:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below and
the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process. I
have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation. The
kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year anyway so
I can remove some plasterboard now.

Adam

Isn't it illegal now, because it is carcinogenic?

This is "creosote substitute". If it was the original stuff, it really
would be a problem. Last time I used it, it stank the whole street out.

I imagine the smell is just the solvent, probably white spirit. Tell
"someone else" to pack her bags :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S writes:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:56:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below and
the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process. I
have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation. The
kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year anyway so
I can remove some plasterboard now.

Replacing the timber affected.

Isn't it illegal now, because it is carcinogenic?

That's probably why he said he was using creosote substiute.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:56:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below and
the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process. I
have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation. The
kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year anyway so
I can remove some plasterboard now.

Adam

Isn't it illegal now, because it is carcinogenic?

The keyword in the OP is "substiute" i.e. not real creosote...

(although you can still legally get it in industrial quantities IIUC).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar 2007 18:03:08 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Jim S writes:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:56:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no garage
and it was raining.

It seemed a good idea at the time.

Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below and
the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying process. I
have thought about hair dryers or fan heaters with lots of ventilation. The
kitchen ceiling is no problem as it is due to come down this year anyway so
I can remove some plasterboard now.

Replacing the timber affected.

Isn't it illegal now, because it is carcinogenic?

That's probably why he said he was using creosote substiute.

Oops )
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no
garage and it was raining.
It seemed a good idea at the time.
Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below
and the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying
process.

Deodorising cat litter. Lots of it, over/inside everything that was spilt.

Owain

I have 8 bags of that in the shed, one of the reasons I had to use the
bedroom to soak the posts.

I am throwing the cat litter down 5 minutes from now.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
I tried to soak some wood in buckets of creosote substiute in the spare
bedroom for a day before fitting them. The shed was full, I have no
garage and it was raining.
It seemed a good idea at the time.
Without going into details the fact is some was spilt on the floor by
someone else. The spare bedroom has no carpet and now the kitchen below
and the spare bedroom smell. Any ideas how to speed up the drying
process.

Deodorising cat litter. Lots of it, over/inside everything that was
spilt.

Owain

I have 8 bags of that in the shed, one of the reasons I had to use the
bedroom to soak the posts.

I am throwing the cat litter down 5 minutes from now.

There was a previous lifted floorboard, no T&G. Poured a load of cat ltter
down that as well now I have lifted it. I might kick some plasterboard out
if the smell stays.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:05:55 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

John wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

or diesel from an ice cream van.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

There was a previous lifted floorboard, no T&G.

Sounds like the stained area might be quite easily replaced.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , FKruger
writes
wrote:

John wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

or the smoke etc from a steam engine passing under the bridge you're
standing on.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Twydell
writes
In message , FKruger
writes
wrote:

John wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Oh!, Yes!, perfume of the gods smoke and steam!. Remember a few years
ago one day when the Union of South Africa was doing some trips on the
London to Liverpool street line, and as I was near Whittlesford station
climbed onto the footbridge there for a whiff of that:--))

transformed back to childhood days in seconds

As to the creosote?, simple, burn the place down!, then you'll get rid
of it!. Serious stink that, seems to me that you might have to replace
the bit of floor that it spilt on.. Remember doing my dads old sheds
with that some 45 odd years ago and it still stinks well, especially on
hot days, never seems to go away!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Owain owain47125@sti
rlingcity.coo.uk writes
FKruger wrote:
I could come round and just sniff it up. I absolutely adore the smell of
creosote About 38 years ago we used to sneak into the groundsman's shed at
school for a sniff of the stuff )
Second only to fresh tarmac ;-)

or diesel from an ice cream van.

petrol genny running a candy-floss machine

Owain

Nah!, Diesel genny and hot dog stall at a fairground)
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

There was a previous lifted floorboard, no T&G.

Sounds like the stained area might be quite easily replaced.

I think the biggest problem is most (and it was not a vast amount) of the
creosote substitue ran down the gap where this floorboard had been lifted.
It is the joist and plasterboard that got the soaking. The staining is not a
problem if the smell goes, as it is quite a small area and carpets will be
fitted at a later date.

And the cat litter really does seem to be working along with the floorboard
being lifted to let things ventilate. Thanks for that cat litter idea Owain.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

[...]

My girlfriend called round this morning and said "What's that smell?, it's
so sexy"

I cannot win

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

My girlfriend called round this morning and said "What's that smell?,
it's so sexy"

I cannot win

Dab some behind your ears then, you just might ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Get rid of Cigerate Smoke Smell [email protected] Home Repair 22 February 9th 06 05:24 AM
Get rid of fish smell Don Home Repair 12 November 20th 05 07:54 PM
getting rid of mold smell Shallow Hal Home Ownership 2 January 30th 05 08:28 PM
Getting Rid of Mouse Smell Victor West UK diy 10 December 18th 03 02:50 PM