Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How heavy is a wooden shed?

I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:14:15 +0000, Tom Woods
wrote:

I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?

22 cwt 3 quarters 4 stones 3 lbs 4¾ oz 2½ grains. Approximately.

seriously Does it have a base? What sort of construction is it?
(featherboard, T&G,?) What's the roof ? (T+G, chipboard, OSB,
plywood?). Any windows? (glass can be quite heavy)

If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

That depends on the alcohol content of the mates...

);-

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom Woods wrote:
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Probably not too heavy for four people.

Is the structure rigid enough to stand being lifted or is it going to
collapse like a pack of cards?

It might be best to slide it on planks put under the base if there are
no level changes.

Steve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

Don't forget that a SMALL dead area behind is very useful for future access
to the thing, for example painting it, replacing roof felt, etc. etc. I
wouldn't put it RIGHT up against the wall!

Good luck.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tom Woods
writes
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

How are you going to store all the rubbish out of sight if you eliminate
the dead area? Old bikes, broken fences, drainpipes, etc.

I reckon there's a good half a skip's worth behind and alongside my
garage. Previous owner was supposed to clear it up, but didn't. Also
left two of those big bags full of junk and a switched-off freezer with
food (or what used to be food) in it. Took the lawnmower and the bikes
she was supposed to leave, though.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:14:15 +0000, Tom Woods wrote:

I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy is
it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far away
from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i want to
eliminate.

===============================
A couple of planks and one or two 6' lengths of scaffold tube and it's a
one man job.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how

heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by

hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

Don't forget that a SMALL dead area behind is very useful for future

access
to the thing, for example painting it, replacing roof felt, etc.

etc. I
wouldn't put it RIGHT up against the wall!

Good luck.

Simon.

I have two 8 x 6 foot sheds complete with wooden floors, holding
bicyles and garden furniture etc. I have moved them now several times
complete with contents single handed! OK they are on a firm concrete
area which makes it easier. All I do is use a garden shovel to lift up
one corner, and slide short lengths of scaffold pole under, then roll
to where I need it. You need three poles. Put the shed on two - roll
it and as one pole emerges replace with the third. (My sheds block my
side entry hence relatively regular shifting!)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tom Woods wrote:

I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

Me and a few mates moved a very heavy old chicken house, made of timber
and corrugated iron by inserting scaffold poles under it and dragging it
40 yards down the track. I think you could probably pick up an 8' x 6'
shed and walk around with it if you had someone on each corner and it
was structurally rigid. How about bolting two 12' pieces of graded 4" x
2" to each side as temporary carrying handles? Or devise a complicated
system of rollers...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:31:02 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I have two 8 x 6 foot sheds complete with wooden floors, holding
bicyles and garden furniture etc. I have moved them now several times
complete with contents single handed! OK they are on a firm concrete
area which makes it easier. All I do is use a garden shovel to lift up
one corner, and slide short lengths of scaffold pole under, then roll
to where I need it. You need three poles. Put the shed on two - roll
it and as one pole emerges replace with the third. (My sheds block my
side entry hence relatively regular shifting!)

AWEM

What about Latvians,Croats,Albanians...would they do as well or are
Poles more reliable and hard working .and easier to roll over ? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Certainly the poor old Poles have had to roll over rather too often in
their recent history - something to do with being between where
megalomaniacs are and where they want to go !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 06:59:07 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Probably not too heavy for four people.

Is the structure rigid enough to stand being lifted or is it going to
collapse like a pack of cards?

it looks and feels pretty solid, but i guess there is only one way to
find out...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:11:23 -0000, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
.. .
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

Don't forget that a SMALL dead area behind is very useful for future access
to the thing, for example painting it, replacing roof felt, etc. etc. I
wouldn't put it RIGHT up against the wall!

Yeah, i was going to leave a small gap i could just squeeze up. The
gap behind it now would currently fit another 8x6 shed in - which is a
bit excessive when the garden is limited!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have two 8 x 6 foot sheds complete with wooden floors, holding
bicyles and garden furniture etc. I have moved them now several times
complete with contents single handed! OK they are on a firm concrete
area which makes it easier. All I do is use a garden shovel to lift up
one corner, and slide short lengths of scaffold pole under, then roll
to where I need it. You need three poles. Put the shed on two - roll
it and as one pole emerges replace with the third. (My sheds block my
side entry hence relatively regular shifting!)

have you not thought about putting them on castors?

I might try rolling it. currently on brick stacks over soil (I think),
but i might lay some slabs in its new location to make life easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:28:12 +0000, Peter Twydell
wrote:

How are you going to store all the rubbish out of sight if you eliminate
the dead area? Old bikes, broken fences, drainpipes, etc.

That stuff is going round the side of it (the side i cant see from the
house!)

I reckon there's a good half a skip's worth behind and alongside my
garage. Previous owner was supposed to clear it up, but didn't. Also
left two of those big bags full of junk and a switched-off freezer with
food (or what used to be food) in it. Took the lawnmower and the bikes
she was supposed to leave, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks everybody. I'll either get a few mates round with the offer of
a few pints (shed moving to be done before the drinking!), or might
try it with a fw scaffold poles and a big lever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:30:35 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Tom Woods wrote:
Yeah, i was going to leave a small gap i could just squeeze up. The
gap behind it now would currently fit another 8x6 shed in - which is a
bit excessive when the garden is limited!

But if you leave the shed where it is you can fit that other 8x6 shed
you've always wanted in behind it without the domestic manager complaining.

I have considered that, but i think it will look nicer if i move this
shed to the edge and fit another one in along the edge next to it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Tom Woods formulated :
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

I did exactly that, 6 months ago. It took four and two 10 foot scaffold
poles placed side to be able to get hold of it. It was just about
do-able, though would have been better/easier rolled had the ground
been more even.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have two 8 x 6 foot sheds complete with wooden floors, holding
bicyles and garden furniture etc. I have moved them now several times
complete with contents single handed! OK they are on a firm concrete
area which makes it easier. All I do is use a garden shovel to lift up
one corner, and slide short lengths of scaffold pole under, then roll
to where I need it. You need three poles. Put the shed on two - roll
it and as one pole emerges replace with the third. (My sheds block my
side entry hence relatively regular shifting!)

have you not thought about putting them on castors?

When I was 7 there was a shed on castors at school.
They ran in a circular tram-track arrangement so your pals
could spin you round in it. Blimey, I havn't thought about
that for years. We called it the "Summer House"
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Stroud wrote:
"Tom Woods" wrote in message

I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be?
If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

Don't forget that a SMALL dead area behind is very useful for future access
to the thing, for example painting it, replacing roof felt, etc. etc. I
wouldn't put it RIGHT up against the wall!

Good luck.

Simon.

Seconded. I have a shed and greenhouse with the ridges parallel and
parallel to a fence. An example of my bad design - 12 inches between
shed roof and fence and 9 inches between shed toof and greenhouse roof
on the other side. Efficient use of space but I will have to thake the
roof panels off the shed to re-felt them :-( - I am waiting for a visit
from my son to help :-)

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom Woods wrote:
I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy
is it going to be? If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft
or so by hand?

Yes.

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far
away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i
want to eliminate.

If the ground is flat, I'd use three or four cylindrical fence posts to roll
it along 'a la Eqyptians building the pyramids'. My ten year old son and I
did it (I had the posts to hand) and even moved it up a gentle slope
successfully.

You need to be careful that you don't push it out of square and find that
the door doesn't close properly afterwards.