Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default £65 to install a gas hob - good or bad?

The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by
sod's law) need to be moved again.....

I've been told I can't use flexi hose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by
sod's law) need to be moved again.....

I've been told I can't use flexi hose.

£ 65 to cut the worktop, seal the edges, fix the hob, connect the gas and
test? cheap

Just connect the gas, still not bad IMHO
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

£ 65 to cut the worktop, seal the edges, fix the hob, connect the gas and
test? cheap

Just connect the gas, still not bad IMHO
--
Vass

I guess it's 1/2 hour work? = £130 / hour at mate's rates

I should be a Gas Fitter!

What do you mean just connect the gas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb 2007 11:53:15 -0800, "405 TD Estate"
mused:

£ 65 to cut the worktop, seal the edges, fix the hob, connect the gas and
test? cheap

Just connect the gas, still not bad IMHO
--
Vass

I guess it's 1/2 hour work? = £130 / hour at mate's rates

At least an hour to cut the worktop, fit the hob etc, then there's the
time getting there etc...
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by
sod's law) need to be moved again.....

I've been told I can't use flexi hose.

£ 65 to cut the worktop, seal the edges, fix the hob, connect the gas and
test? cheap

Just connect the gas, still not bad IMHO

IMO most gas fitters would expect to find the hole already prepared; I'm
sure they would at that price. IIRC the above is roughly what I had to
pay quite recently.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by
sod's law) need to be moved again.....

I've been told I can't use flexi hose.

Comet want £80 + VAT to connect a gas cooker - which means screwing on a
pipe & inserting the bayonet fitting.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:07:13 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Comet want £80 + VAT to connect a gas cooker - which means screwing on a
pipe & inserting the bayonet fitting.

Well it actually means spending a fair amount of time and a shedload of
money to do your ACS, then more money to get CORGI registered before you
even turn up on the customer's doorstep. Then you assess the ventilation
wrt the room size, check clearances from flammable stuff, fit a hose to
the cooker (if free-standing), check/correct condition, position and
orientation of bayonet and support of gas pipework, purge and tightness
test it, check pressure at cooker and that it's OK when the boiler (and
any other appliances) fire up, check flame pictures, operation of safety
devices, door seals OK, fit a stability chain or bracket, level up the
cooker if necessary, explain operation of safety interlocks or anything
like that to the customer and then notify the installation under Building
Regs.

Or if you get the Medway Handyman to do it: screw on a pipe and insert
the bayonet fitting ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by
sod's law) need to be moved again.....

I've been told I can't use flexi hose.

When you run your own business, you realise how little of that £65 you
actually get, once various costs are taken into account (transport,
advertising, phones, insurance, accreditation, training, tools, etc.).
That's not a bad price to have someone come to your house, do something that
will often turn out to be a bigger job than they expect, and give you many
years of trouble-free service.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:53:15 -0800, 405 TD Estate wrote:

£ 65 to cut the worktop, seal the edges, fix the hob, connect the gas and
test? cheap

Just connect the gas, still not bad IMHO
--
Vass

I guess it's 1/2 hour work? = £130 / hour at mate's rates

I should be a Gas Fitter!

What do you mean just connect the gas?

Exactly that, connect the gas and commission the appliance. Also, if this
is a new hob where none existed before then submit a building regs
compliance notice.

It is NOT just the time on site with the tolls in your hand your charging
for. There is the travel time and the very substantial overheads just to
be in the business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by
sod's law) need to be moved again.....

I've been told I can't use flexi hose.

Comet want £80 + VAT to connect a gas cooker - which means screwing on a
pipe & inserting the bayonet fitting.

It ought also to included installing the stability device...
.... but they usually do none of that offering one of several well known
excuses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building regs new hob

"Ed Sirett" wrote

Exactly that, connect the gas and commission the appliance. Also, if this
is a new hob where none existed before then submit a building regs
compliance notice.

Ah, I missed that bit, I'm just about to install a whole new Kitchen.
Electrician wiring this Friday
new hob in a week or 2, Corgi guy gonna connect up. the hob. The oven is
Electric
Just how much will I need to involve building regs?
visit? plans? what to do?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

[...] and then notify the installation under Building Regs.

When did installing a gas cooker become notifiable work under building
regs? (Genuine question - think I must have blinked and missed that one...)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Or if you get the Medway Handyman to do it: screw on a pipe and insert
the bayonet fitting ;-)

Ah, but TMH wouldn't do it because it's naughty!

But I expect many on this list have done their own...............

Or their daughters...............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:35:13 +0000, Andy Wade wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

[...] and then notify the installation under Building Regs.

When did installing a gas cooker become notifiable work under building
regs? (Genuine question - think I must have blinked and missed that one...)

April 2005 I think. Someone in this thread said you don't have to notify
replacements: I don't know if that's true, certainly not for boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:56:14 +0000, Vass wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote

Exactly that, connect the gas and commission the appliance. Also, if this
is a new hob where none existed before then submit a building regs
compliance notice.

Ah, I missed that bit, I'm just about to install a whole new Kitchen.
Electrician wiring this Friday
new hob in a week or 2, Corgi guy gonna connect up. the hob. The oven is
Electric
Just how much will I need to involve building regs?
visit? plans? what to do?

The electrician can self-certify the compliance of the electrics the corgi
guy will self-certify the compliance of the heating appliance (hob).

Unless you are knocking down walls, replacing windows (fensa self certify)
or digging up the drains then there should not be any issues with
building control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

[...] and then notify the installation under Building Regs.

When did installing a gas cooker become notifiable work under building
regs? (Genuine question - think I must have blinked and missed that one...)

Most people (on uk.d-i-y) were still smarting about the Prat-P. So
complaints about making vented HW storage & heating appliances notifiable
went unopposed. Then last year (above ground) drainage and ventilation
became notifiable (or self-certifiable with the right exam pass, and of
course registration fee to the guild)

I wonder how long chippys, roofers, brickies or spreads have before they
need a guild...

....not to mention locksmiths, decorators, carpet fitters, landscape
gardeners...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

[...] and then notify the installation under Building Regs.

When did installing a gas cooker become notifiable work under building
regs? (Genuine question - think I must have blinked and missed that one...)

Most people (on uk.d-i-y) were still smarting about the Prat-P. So
complaints about making vented HW storage & heating appliances notifiable
went unopposed. Then last year (above ground) drainage and ventilation
became notifiable (or self-certifiable with the right exam pass, and of
course registration fee to the guild)

I wonder how long chippys, roofers, brickies or spreads have before they
need a guild...

...not to mention locksmiths, decorators, carpet fitters, landscape
gardeners...

I've told her indoors that excessive regulations now make it impossible
for me to do anything in the house
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:01:41 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
Or if you get the Medway Handyman to do it: screw on a pipe and insert
the bayonet fitting ;-)

Ah, but TMH wouldn't do it because it's naughty!

Just testing you! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

[...] and then notify the installation under Building Regs.
When did installing a gas cooker become notifiable work under building
regs? (Genuine question - think I must have blinked and missed that one...)

Most people (on uk.d-i-y) were still smarting about the Prat-P. So
complaints about making vented HW storage & heating appliances notifiable
went unopposed. Then last year (above ground) drainage and ventilation
became notifiable (or self-certifiable with the right exam pass, and of
course registration fee to the guild)

I wonder how long chippys, roofers, brickies or spreads have before they
need a guild...

...not to mention locksmiths, decorators, carpet fitters, landscape
gardeners...

I've told her indoors that excessive regulations now make it impossible
for me to do anything in the house

ROFL

No Gas coming out of one side of gas hob ellejohn Home Repair 2 February 23rd 07 09:11 PM
Built in gas oven under a inset gas hob Chris Cowley UK diy 13 March 23rd 06 11:35 PM
Fitting a gas hob Dave UK diy 1 July 8th 05 11:35 PM
Gas hob al UK diy 13 April 21st 05 05:08 PM
Gas Hob With Lid Andrew Carr UK diy 10 November 23rd 04 11:00 PM