Andrew Carr

Default Gas Hob With Lid

I am looking for a supplier of a stainless steel gas hob with a fitted glass
lid (that turns off the gas when closed).
I know that these beasts where common a few years ago but at the moment I
can't seem to find one (found a brown one but I have been told that is its
totally unsuitable as it's the wrong colour).
I'm just looking for the hob as I have a new-ish oven
If anyone knows of a supplier/manufactures order code, I would be very
grateful.
TIA Andy

Bob Mannix

"Andrew Carr" wrote in message
I am looking for a supplier of a stainless steel gas hob with a fitted

glass
lid (that turns off the gas when closed).
I know that these beasts where common a few years ago but at the moment I
can't seem to find one (found a brown one but I have been told that is its
totally unsuitable as it's the wrong colour).
I'm just looking for the hob as I have a new-ish oven
If anyone knows of a supplier/manufactures order code, I would be very
grateful.
TIA Andy

Not sure about hobs with glass lids. Cookers with glass lids are a different
matter (we have one). With a cooker, the burners etc., can be at a height
below the level of the work surface so that the lid (when closed) continues
the work surface from one side to the other. With a hob, you would normally
end up with a glass lid a bit in the air, which wouldn't be so popular
(IMHO), or look so nice.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Andrew Carr

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great if the hob
is in front of the window
as it keeps the blinds clean.

Andy

Bob Mannix

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

[...]

Fair enough, but the question is: is this a popular enough requirement to
make it worth making?

You could consider the alternative of a slide in cooker, which you can get
plenty of with glass lids, but they're not as neat looking as a built in
separate hob and presumably would blow your kitchen design out of the water?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Owain

"Andrew Carr" wrote
| Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great
| if the hob is in front of the window as it keeps the blinds clean.

Ar, then what you want is a glass splashback and not a hob with a glass lid.

Piece of metal U-channel screwed to the worktop behind the hob, and piece of
heat resistant toughened glass (eg oven inner door from scrappy) put into it
and held with silicone.

Owain

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:05:46 +0000, Andrew Carr wrote:

I am looking for a supplier of a stainless steel gas hob with a fitted glass
lid (that turns off the gas when closed).
I know that these beasts where common a few years ago but at the moment I
can't seem to find one (found a brown one but I have been told that is its
totally unsuitable as it's the wrong colour).
I'm just looking for the hob as I have a new-ish oven
If anyone knows of a supplier/manufactures order code, I would be very
grateful.
TIA Andy

I have seen a hob with lids - and the model I had did have an interlock.
Can remeber the comlour but it was darkish IIRC.
There are also cookers and likely hobs around with lids which are not
interlocked - you simply don't need to be stupid when using them!
Perhaps that would extend your range of options.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

mike ring

"Bob Mannix" wrote in
:

Fair enough, but the question is: is this a popular enough requirement
to make it worth making?

You could consider the alternative of a slide in cooker, which you can
get plenty of with glass lids, but they're not as neat looking as a
built in separate hob and presumably would blow your kitchen design
out of the water?

I found it impossible to get one of these a couple of years ago; I wanted
one like 'er next door's, but asked everywhere and failed.

I wanted it mainly for safety, neatness when out of use, and splashback.

Couldn't believe that such a sensible thing had been discontinued

mike
Bob Mannix

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
"Bob Mannix" wrote in
:

Fair enough, but the question is: is this a popular enough requirement
to make it worth making?

You could consider the alternative of a slide in cooker, which you can
get plenty of with glass lids, but they're not as neat looking as a
built in separate hob and presumably would blow your kitchen design
out of the water?

I found it impossible to get one of these a couple of years ago;

I just tried a google search on "glass lid hob" and found quite a few.

I wanted one like 'er next door's, but asked everywhere and failed.

Ah, you can't do a google search for "glass lid hob like 'ers next door"

I wanted it mainly for safety, neatness when out of use, and splashback.

Couldn't believe that such a sensible thing had been discontinued

Well I don't believe they have!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Zikki Malambo

Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great if the hob
is in front of the window
as it keeps the blinds clean.

IIRC Gas hobs in front of windows are a no no WRT the regs.
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:08:54 -0800, Zikki Malambo wrote:

Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great if the hob
is in front of the window
as it keeps the blinds clean.

IIRC Gas hobs in front of windows are a no no WRT the regs.

I beleive the normative document governing the installation of cookers
uses 'should not' rather than 'must not'.

Anyone got BS 6172?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Peter

"Zikki Malambo" wrote in message
om...

Ahh but the lid in the air creates a splase back which is great if the

hob
is in front of the window
as it keeps the blinds clean.

IIRC Gas hobs in front of windows are a no no WRT the regs.

Which reg is that ?

Peter