Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting two TV Coaxial Cables Outside

Hi,

I have an TV aeiral on my roof with the cable running from the roof to
my living room. I have recently had an extension built to my house
and want the TV areial in that new room. Now, i don't want to get up
on the roof and rewire the arieal into the new room. Is there any way
of cutting the existing wire and connecting it in a waterproof housing
on the wall and running a new wire from the housing into the
extension. If so, what do i need and can any advise where i can
purchase it from?

Hope someone can help me out.

Regards,
Anthony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of these might be what you're looking for
http://www.dastv.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?Product=470

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2007 17:42, cucumber wrote:

One of these might be what you're looking for
http://www.dastv.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?Product=470

but the insertion loss of 4.5dB means you'll only be getting about 1/3
of the original signal to your original and new points, depends if your
signal is strong enough, if not you might need an amplifier with
multiple outlets instead, you can generally feed the power from the
telly end of the coax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just cut and solder the two wires together and wrap in tape. If you use
e.g. heatshrink to more or less preserve the inner core dimensions, and
some sort of wrap around to more or less preserve the outer screen,you
won;t get hardly any reflections. Just be sire to wrap it all up ion
sealing tape.

It might be a bit lossy at satellite frequencies, but it should be fine
up to UHF.,.

if you were to suggest that in uk.tech.digital-tv you'd get some flack,
and although the O/P didn't specify digital, analogue switch off is on
the way so ought to be considered, could be a useful time while doing
this job to ensure double screened coax is used throughout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
On 11/02/2007 17:42, cucumber wrote:

One of these might be what you're looking for
http://www.dastv.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?Product=470

but the insertion loss of 4.5dB means you'll only be getting about 1/3
of the original signal to your original and new points, depends if your
signal is strong enough, if not you might need an amplifier with
multiple outlets instead, you can generally feed the power from the
telly end of the coax.

Thanks for your reply. Is the single loss still 1/3 even if i don't
have an aditional TV running from the arieal? By this i mean, if i am
using the device for the simple purpose of joining a severed coaxial
cable, is the signal still reduced?

Thanks,
Anthony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Just cut and solder the two wires together and wrap in tape. If you
use e.g. heatshrink to more or less preserve the inner core
dimensions, and some sort of wrap around to more or less preserve the
outer screen,you won;t get hardly any reflections. Just be sire to
wrap it all up ion sealing tape.

It might be a bit lossy at satellite frequencies, but it should be
fine up to UHF.,.

if you were to suggest that in uk.tech.digital-tv you'd get some flack,
and although the O/P didn't specify digital, analogue switch off is on
the way so ought to be considered, could be a useful time while doing
this job to ensure double screened coax is used throughout.

Sure it *might*. I've got digital terrestrial running through all sorts
of joints..and the world is full of people who have read text books and
never actually try anything practically themselves at all.

His whole point was to use something that obviated the need for a
rewire. I have told him the quick and dirty and very cheap way to do it
that will net him 90% of what a single piece of cable would. And if it
fails to be satisfactory, he has lost nothing much by trying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

His whole point was to use something that obviated the need for a
rewire. I have told him the quick and dirty and very cheap way to do it
that will net him 90% of what a single piece of cable would. And if it
fails to be satisfactory, he has lost nothing much by trying.

Done carefully a soldered splice with careful wrapping and insulating
can provide as good an insertion loss as a proper connector.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 17:26, wrote:
Hi,

I have an TV aeiral on my roof with the cable running from the roof to
my living room. I have recently had an extension built to my house
and want the TV areial in that new room. Now, i don't want to get up
on the roof and rewire the arieal into the new room. Is there any way
of cutting the existing wire and connecting it in a waterproof housing
on the wall and running a new wire from the housing into the
extension. If so, what do i need and can any advise where i can
purchase it from?

Hope someone can help me out.

Regards,
Anthony

well taped joints are often shot after 20 years. Its better not to do
it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb 2007 16:38:14 -0800, wrote:

On 11 Feb, 17:26, wrote:
Hi,

I have an TV aeiral on my roof with the cable running from the roof to
my living room. I have recently had an extension built to my house
and want the TV areial in that new room. Now, i don't want to get up
on the roof and rewire the arieal into the new room. Is there any way
of cutting the existing wire and connecting it in a waterproof housing
on the wall and running a new wire from the housing into the
extension. If so, what do i need and can any advise where i can
purchase it from?

Hope someone can help me out.

Regards,
Anthony

well taped joints are often shot after 20 years. Its better not to do
it.

You *will* lose some signal in a joint, and get a bit of reflection,
but you can minimise it by using proper coaxial connectors. You don't
say what type of cable it is - if it's traditional UHF cable (normally
with a brown sheath) you should use decent Belling & Lee type male
plugs and a back-to-back connector (don't forget to solder the coax
inners to the plug pins), and shroud the lot in heatshrink tubing or
self-amalgamating tape with a layer or two of PVC tape for mechanical
protection.

Don't forget to test your connection before you apply your shrink or
self-amalgamating stuff - it's so easy to get the odd strand of
braiding to short-circuit the cable!

You can get a female "plug" (line socket) to use instead of one of the
plugs and the back-to-back connector, but they're horrible to use!

Really, especially with the advent of digital broadcasting, you would
be well advised to consider a single length of decent cable, avoiding
kinks or other sharp bends all the way.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sure it *might*. I've got digital terrestrial running through all sorts
of joints..and the world is full of people who have read text books and
never actually try anything practically themselves at all.

Didn't seem to be best advice, sure I've used a cheap and nasty passive
splitter in the past, but had to remove it years ago when I got digital.

I have told him the quick and dirty and very cheap way to do it
that will net him 90% of what a single piece of cable would. And if it
fails to be satisfactory, he has lost nothing much by trying.

except you didn't mention that it *was* the cheap and dirty method
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an TV aeiral on my roof with the cable running from the roof to
my living room. I have recently had an extension built to my house
and want the TV areial in that new room. Now, i don't want to get up
on the roof and rewire the arieal into the new room. Is there any way
of cutting the existing wire and connecting it in a waterproof housing
on the wall and running a new wire from the housing into the
extension. If so, what do i need and can any advise where i can
purchase it from?

Hope someone can help me out.

Regards,
Anthony

I see there's a general consensus, so let me throw in the counter-argument!

Every single external splice I've ever seen has been a bodge to a greater or
lesser extent. The worst ones are twist- and-tape with regular insulating
tape. Better are proper connectors wrapped in amalgamating tape.

The one thing they have in common is that they have all led to water ingress
into the cable sheath, which runs down inside the cable. In the worst
cases, it actually drips out onto the living room floor.

The better made splices will last longer before water ingress, but IMHO it
will happen eventually.

Personally, I would never make an external splice.
I'd replace the cable, or find a means to bring the cable inside closer to
the aerial and make the splice indoors, or feed it to a distribution amp
indoors and split it to a new cable run at that point.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you everyone who posted.

Am i right in believing that the concensus here is not to use an F
Type External Combiner / Splitter or splice the wire outside, but make
the connection inside or rewire the arieal from the roof?

By the way, i currently do recieve a rather strong digital reception
through the arieal, especially now i have my Samsung Flat Screen with
integrated digital reciever (some of those set top boxes are so poor!)

Thanks
Anthony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thank you everyone who posted.

Am i right in believing that the concensus here is not to use an F
Type External Combiner / Splitter or splice the wire outside, but make
the connection inside or rewire the arieal from the roof?

The advice is not to use a splitter, or combiner. You can (should) however use
an F barrel - i.e. a straight connector.
Clearly making the joint inside will reduce the the chance of water ingress.
You should use CT100 or WF100 cable.

Bear in mind:

a) You can't get better than 100% digital quality, so long as what you do gives
you that you can't make further improvements.

b) The strength of the digital signal will increase in a few years time at
analogue switch off, but may also change frequency.

c) TV aerials and downleads don't last for ever. Livespand maybe 15-20 years.

Use Google to search uk.tech.digtal-tv for cable join

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

His whole point was to use something that obviated the need for a
rewire. I have told him the quick and dirty and very cheap way to do it
that will net him 90% of what a single piece of cable would. And if it
fails to be satisfactory, he has lost nothing much by trying.

I agree in principle, but the quickest and dirtiest way with some
measure of not fiddling about with soldering irons up a ladder, or
wherever, is to use a pair of F connectors and a female/female joiner.
All wrapped up in SA tape.
--

Dave

Creases in coaxial cables mm Electronics Repair 17 January 16th 07 04:49 AM
Coaxial tv socket wiring Kroma UK diy 18 October 30th 05 10:11 AM
Speaker refoam - coaxial fatsam Electronics Repair 1 July 15th 05 03:29 AM
How do you use a Blake Coaxial Indicator [email protected] Metalworking 7 May 12th 05 05:31 PM
theoratical papers on:Interfacing of Digital Circuits with Optical Fibres and Coaxial Cables Sukhminder Electronics 0 October 8th 04 02:31 AM