Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Racking a Van

Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday :-(

This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the shelf
racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...86375&id=49273 a
practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the carpentry
isn't a problem.

Any tips?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Dave

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:21:12 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday :-(

This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the shelf
racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...86375&id=49273 a
practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the carpentry
isn't a problem.

Any tips?

Apologies in advance if it's teaching you to suck eggs......

....but don't do what an apprentice did that the fork-truck
manufacturer I onece worked for.

He was given the 'nice little job' of fitting out a new 'Service' van
with racking etc. At the end of the day the racking was neatly fitted
- but there was a strong smell of petrol.

Lacking any advice / warnings etc he'd self-tapped the racking
_through_ the petrol tank...

.... so - only tip - be very sure where the pipes, tanks and wireing
runs in your shiny new van g

but I expect you knew that already ? no ??

Actually - on a serious note - it's worthwhile making 'everything' as
flexible as possible - so you can move stuff round later. Who knows -
prospective customers may even judge your competance on the basis of
how well-organised the inside of your van is ! g In any case - it
does make things easier to find....

Memo to self - tidy the tool-shed !

The other thing you've probably already considered is security.
Blacked-out rear windows and someting hefty on the back door make it
more likely that 'stuff' you put inside will stay 'inside'. I've seen
vans with a sticker that says 'all tools removed overnight' - which,
even if it's not true, may deter the casual tealeaf.

Good luck !
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday
:-(

[...]

Dave,

My advice to you is not to bother with sthose storage bins, they will break,
collapse and fall off. Find a way to afford something from Tevo Vehicle
raking and fit that. It aint cheap, but it is strong, looks professional,
can be self fitted, and and the space gained to weight ratio is excellent.

I have all my vans fitted out with it.

--

Steve Dawson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:

My advice to you is not to bother with sthose storage bins, they will break,
collapse and fall off. Find a way to afford something from Tevo Vehicle
raking and fit that. It aint cheap, but it is strong, looks professional,
can be self fitted, and and the space gained to weight ratio is excellent.

Nice looking kit!

BTW Dave, have a look at page six:

http://www.tevo.eu.com/downloads/section6.pdf

I have all my vans fitted out with it.

Quite like the look of things like the fold out vice, and the heated
hand washing facility I could see would be very nice with some trades.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mj Mj is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Stephen Dawson wrote:

My advice to you is not to bother with sthose storage bins, they will
break, collapse and fall off. Find a way to afford something from Tevo
Vehicle raking and fit that. It aint cheap, but it is strong, looks
professional, can be self fitted, and and the space gained to weight
ratio is excellent.

Nice looking kit!

BTW Dave, have a look at page six:

http://www.tevo.eu.com/downloads/section6.pdf

I have all my vans fitted out with it.

Quite like the look of things like the fold out vice, and the heated hand
washing facility I could see would be very nice with some trades.

--
Cheers,

John.

/

this page also addresses the question regarding the van mounted searchlight

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Stephen Dawson wrote:

My advice to you is not to bother with sthose storage bins, they will
break, collapse and fall off. Find a way to afford something from Tevo
Vehicle raking and fit that. It aint cheap, but it is strong, looks
professional, can be self fitted, and and the space gained to weight
ratio is excellent.

Nice looking kit!

BTW Dave, have a look at page six:

http://www.tevo.eu.com/downloads/section6.pdf

I have all my vans fitted out with it.

Quite like the look of things like the fold out vice, and the heated hand
washing facility I could see would be very nice with some trades.

--
Cheers,

John.

The heated handwash is lovely this time of year!!

--

Regards

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Throroughly agree Steve.
TH White's vans are all fitted by TEVO as are all the major utilities and
subbies.
It just *does* the job

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:01:31 UTC, Adrian
wrote:

...but don't do what an apprentice did that the fork-truck
manufacturer I onece worked for.

He was given the 'nice little job' of fitting out a new 'Service' van
with racking etc. At the end of the day the racking was neatly fitted
- but there was a strong smell of petrol.

Lacking any advice / warnings etc he'd self-tapped the racking
_through_ the petrol tank...

Just as well he missed any nearby wiring at the same time....
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Bob

wrote:

...but don't do what an apprentice did that the fork-truck
manufacturer I onece worked for.

He was given the 'nice little job' of fitting out a new 'Service' van
with racking etc. At the end of the day the racking was neatly fitted
- but there was a strong smell of petrol.

Lacking any advice / warnings etc he'd self-tapped the racking
_through_ the petrol tank...

Just as well he missed any nearby wiring at the same time....

To be honest - nobody was inclined to investigate much deeper g

I seem to recall there was an 'interesting' phone conversation between
the boss of the Service dept and the local garage who had supplied the
Van..... company ended up buying a new van...

Wonder where the old one went ?? g

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

vans with a sticker that says 'all tools removed overnight' - which,
even if it's not true, may deter the casual tealeaf.

or the daytime one!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Blacked-out rear windows and someting hefty on the back door make it
more likely that 'stuff' you put inside will stay 'inside'. I've seen
vans with a sticker that says 'all tools removed overnight' - which,
even if it's not true, may deter the casual tealeaf.

I've always thought that those stickers might as well be replaced by
ones which state "Lots of tools left in this van overnight" - I'm sure
they must attract more toerags than they deter. But maybe that's just
my cynical nature!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:

Blacked-out rear windows and someting hefty on the back door make it
more likely that 'stuff' you put inside will stay 'inside'. I've seen
vans with a sticker that says 'all tools removed overnight' - which,
even if it's not true, may deter the casual tealeaf.

I've always thought that those stickers might as well be replaced by ones
which state "Lots of tools left in this van overnight" - I'm sure they
must attract more toerags than they deter. But maybe that's just my
cynical nature!

David

Agreed. I have no stickers but leave no tools in the van overnight. The
window at the back of the van also allows the toerags to look in and see
this is true.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen
vans with a sticker that says 'all tools removed overnight' - which,
even if it's not true, may deter the casual tealeaf.

Good luck !
Adrian

He has already had that done with the sign writing.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
...but don't do what an apprentice did that the fork-truck
manufacturer I onece worked for.

He was given the 'nice little job' of fitting out a new 'Service' van
with racking etc. At the end of the day the racking was neatly fitted
- but there was a strong smell of petrol.

Snippy...

Also make sure you know the distance between ply and bodywork, having
seen an alarm fitter's mistake on a brand new Transit which meant there
was a very unpleasant 'sharp' hazard on the nearside bodywork. He'd used
two one inch self tappers to attach the alarm to what he thought was a
double skinned panel.
Good luck !
Adrian

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday :-(

This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the shelf
racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...86375&id=49273 a
practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the carpentry
isn't a problem.

Any tips?

If you can get into Costco, they have loads of bins, stacking ones,
some with drawers and shelves, and also racking of all sorts. Most
could be adapted to a van quite easily and the prices will leave a lot
of change for other things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:21:12 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday
:-(

This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the
shelf racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
a practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the
carpentry isn't a problem.

Any tips?

===============================
Since you're building your own shelving consider using seed trays to
create a custom-built storage unit. Standard trays are 38 x 24 x 6cm and a
good garden centre will stock Stewart trays which are more like strong
fibre than plastic. I've got two such units each 6' x 2' wide x 15" deep.
Each one holds 44 trays and of course the trays can hold either tools or
fittings. You would need to size according to van space and you might use
a mix of full size / half size / quarter size trays.

You would need a door on any such unit for mobile use.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote on 28/01/2007 :

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...86375&id=49273 a
practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the carpentry
isn't a problem.

Depends how much you want to spend, how heavy the stuff is.

Get some lengths of 1.5" x 0.5" timber and some 6mm ply for the shelves
(12mm or 18mm will be far to heavy). Make custom lengths of the timber
to form two supports per section, a tight enough fit that they can't
move, then reinforce top and bottom with L brackets. Add horizontal
bits of the same timber for the shelves, but rather than horizontal
make them lean back a few degrees to stop stuff rolling off the shelves
- then fit the 6mm for the shelves. Make the shelves in short bits one
per bay and leave them loose so they can be easily lifted out to store
out sized items temporarily.

Make the shelves height and width vary, so a variety of things can be
stored, but obviously aim to keep the heavy stuff as low down as
possible. Make a couple of shelves big enough to store a couple of
those cheap plastic rigid storage boxes. Leave room for one of those
small parts containers, with the clear slide out bins.

Add a couple of 12v fluorescent lights for those dark winter
afternoons.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

A rackless van is a better van ie all different commodities in a case for
ease of the job.

When I worked for a certain estate agent the last bloke racked the van out I
found that I was in and out of that van more times than a train in a
station.

I ripped it all out and put everything in boxed containers and could take
all nessecery items on the job rather than go to the van get the needed
item, come back and start the job then finding I had to go back out the van
for summat else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

When I worked for a certain estate agent the last bloke racked the
van out I found that I was in and out of that van more times than a
train in a station.

I ripped it all out and put everything in boxed containers and could
take all nessecery items on the job rather than go to the van get the
needed item, come back and start the job then finding I had to go
back out the van for summat else.

Mmmm, my thoughts also. I'm only a DIY'er, but I'd have thought that a
group of sturdy, lidded plastic stacking crates would be better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
George wrote:

When I worked for a certain estate agent the last bloke racked the
van out I found that I was in and out of that van more times than a
train in a station.

I ripped it all out and put everything in boxed containers and could
take all nessecery items on the job rather than go to the van get the
needed item, come back and start the job then finding I had to go
back out the van for summat else.

Mmmm, my thoughts also. I'm only a DIY'er, but I'd have thought that a
group of sturdy, lidded plastic stacking crates would be better.

The boxes I had where like the ones the council give you nowadays for
newspapers ie stackable.

Marked with Plumbing,Electrical,Screws/Nails ect,ect and the other drawback
of having racking is...at the end of the day after a hard days graft you're
so knackered you just dump the stuff in the back of the van and don't put it
back where it belonged in the racking,where as if the stuff is in crates
there ain't that problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:15:25 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

George wrote:

When I worked for a certain estate agent the last bloke racked the
van out I found that I was in and out of that van more times than a
train in a station.

I ripped it all out and put everything in boxed containers and could
take all nessecery items on the job rather than go to the van get the
needed item, come back and start the job then finding I had to go
back out the van for summat else.

Mmmm, my thoughts also. I'm only a DIY'er, but I'd have thought that a
group of sturdy, lidded plastic stacking crates would be better.

Clear boxes/lids make seeing what's in them and finding something much
easier.

For smaller tools and stuff I cut the bottoms off 6, 4, and 2 pint
plastic milk containers and put them in mini storage boxes, eg the
ones made by 'Whitefurze'

Then to get at something small I also can easily pull out the
container from it's box if need be. The containers fit quite well in
the above boxes, one box will fit a '6' and three '2' containers
IYSWIM.

Some framings/shelves to hold the boxes on the move and avoid the need
for a lot of stacking would help, leaving the floor free for large
tools and materials.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jan, 13:55, "George" wrote:
A rackless van is a better van ie all different commodities in a case for
ease of the job.

When I worked for a certain estate agent the last bloke racked the van out I
found that I was in and out of that van more times than a train in a
station.

I ripped it all out and put everything in boxed containers and could take
all nessecery items on the job rather than go to the van get the needed
item, come back and start the job then finding I had to go back out the van
for summat else

Problem with this is that everything slides around on the floor!

What I've done in the past is to carpet the floor (courtesy of Allied
Carpets skip!)

Fasten the rear edge with thin timber/metal to clamp it. (Stops
fraying and gives a slippery edge to slide your containers in and
out.) Assuming you've got plywood on the floor, use a staple gun to
tack the carpet down at intervals.

Stacking containers usually have a thin, but strong, vertical
projection around the base to locate with the container below. This
bites into the carpet and will not move, no matter how hard you brake
or how difficult a slalom course you try!

My experience is that, given a reasonable weight in each, that
containers are stable when stacked two high (but never more!)

However, as you only have rear access, this can be a bit restrictive,
as it makes access to all of the load space difficult without removing
the crates every time you want to get to what is in front of them (or
vice-versa, depending how you load it.)

An alternative is to put a retaining bar on the floor, fore and aft,
which holds the same 2-high configuration along one side as a stop/
runner with a second, offset from the side, as the slope of the van
side will require slightly more clearance for the upper crate. This
setup will hold pairs of crates up to the limit of the length of the
load area. You will want a 'buffer' at the forward end - pads of scrap
carpet work well! - to deaden the noise of any movement - and a
simple, easily removable, back stop, such as a wooden bar slotted into
the runners.

With the back stop removed, the crates will run back and forwards
smoothly and easily for loading and unloading - the most regularly
used being at the back, of course, and leave the rest of the load
space available for any other stuff you need to carry (and do remember
the carpet - it's surprising what it stops moving about!)

Something like this is quick, easy (and cheap) to implement. You can
vary it to suit what is available and you'll have a working system
from day one. You can then evaluate it, see if it works for you and,
if you then decide to go for some fancy, expensive, commercial
solution after all, you haven't lost much!

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday
:-(

This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the
shelf racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...86375&id=49273 a
practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the
carpentry isn't a problem.

Any tips?

DON'T COMPROMISE
Fit ONCE and forget.

http://www.tevo.eu.com/

I *know* they're good, a little more expensive than your 2X2 and bits of ply
ideas,
but I have the company Merc Sprinter Van (New shape 56 plate) fitted out and
it's superb quality.
The last system in the old van lasted (and is still being used) after 5
years and 185000 miles of the van being thrown around with full load at all
times.
If you wanna have a look at it you're welcome.
Dartford based

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till
Tuesday :-(
This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the
shelf racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
a practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the
carpentry isn't a problem.

Any tips?

Yes, don't bother.
Get a decent screwbox[1], they do them on screwfix's site, steel with a foam
inner lid to prevent sizes mixing up during transit, get a couple if you use
a lot of nuts and bolts and other fiddly bits, then you want a steel
lockable trunk for power tools, these are quite expensive but will protect
your precious things from the smackheads.
The screwboxes can be topped up from stock at home as and when required....a
racking system is useful only in certain proffesions; telecoms, CCTV & data
etc, where lots of small components are required every single day, I'll
wager that you've used 5 or 6 different sized screws in the past week or
two? - likewise with nails, and the space used by something like this is
largely wasted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:21:12 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi

Having got my new van I can't use it because I can't tax it till Tuesday :-(

This does give me time to get some storage organised. The van is ply
lined - with 3mm ply. Never racked a van before or even had one.

It's going to be a DIY job, I can't really afford to buy nice off the shelf
racking systems.

Anyone had any experience of racking a van? Are these plastic bins
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...86375&id=49273 a
practical idea or are bits going to fall out when I corner?

I will be making up some shelving from 12 or 18mm ply anyway, the carpentry
isn't a problem.

Any tips?

The problem is you have (I guess: I know I have) various toolboxes, loose
tools and materials you need to take in to particular jobs, and other
stuff - stock - that you need to have accessible in the van. By the time
you've got the van tevoed (or whatever) out with storage for the stock
you've even less space for the toolboxes etc which end up stacked on
top of each other - and in front of your storage drawers! My van has one
sliding side door which I use to get at most of my stuff and there's just
too much depth of room from the door opening to the far side. The best
I've managed is to make a chest of drawers about 700mm deep and about 300
wide by 250 high (out of 18mm ply) which give me plenty of storage for
stock, with least used stuff in the bottom drawers which tend to have
toolboxes sitting in front of them. Then my most used toolboxes sit in
front of the drawers so that hopefully they're out of the way when I need
to open them. I also have open shelves on the far side wall which take
other toolboxes and storage crates, and various tubes and hooks fixes up
to store things in and hang them from. Plus the obligatory soil pipes
on the roof for pipe storage! It could be better, but improvement is as
much a matter of thought (planning & design) as money.

And yes, stuff falling out when you corner is a problem, though even the
shallowest lip stops that - certainly the screwfix boxes would be OK
unless you pile stuff up high in them. It's loose stuff on a horizontal
surface that has nothing to stop it sliding that's the problem.

Checking carcase for racking. Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve Woodworking 3 December 1st 06 04:33 AM
van door roller misterroy UK diy 1 June 2nd 06 06:35 PM
Steel Racking Chris Metalworking 0 February 20th 06 09:23 PM
Wanted: Advice on Garage Racking Mike Faithfull UK diy 14 September 11th 03 10:45 PM
Building wine racking for my cellar Igor Woodworking 4 August 12th 03 01:28 PM