Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking corrugated garage roof

Hi

We've just bought a house with a double garage with a shallow-sloping
corrugated roof (part plastic coated steel sheeting, part what looks
like fibre-glass sheeting). Water is dripping down the wooden beams of
the garage from the rain and, I think, condensation. The leaks are
caused by the bright spark who built it attaching the sheets to the
timbers at the trough of each corrugation rather than at the
crest/peak. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can solve this without
having to buy new sheeting?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben R" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

We've just bought a house with a double garage with a

shallow-sloping
corrugated roof (part plastic coated steel sheeting, part what looks
like fibre-glass sheeting). Water is dripping down the wooden beams

of
the garage from the rain and, I think, condensation. The leaks are
caused by the bright spark who built it attaching the sheets to the
timbers at the trough of each corrugation rather than at the
crest/peak. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can solve this without
having to buy new sheeting?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Ben,

Strangely, putting the screws through the valleys of the profile is
the recommended way, with each screw having a conformal washer to make
the seal. I querried this with Southern Sheeting when I roofed an
outbuilding but they were adament. Counter inuitive isn't it!

http://www.southernsheeting.co.uk/

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can solve this without having
to buy new sheeting?

Take the sheets off and flip them over ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben R wrote:
Hi

We've just bought a house with a double garage with a shallow-sloping
corrugated roof (part plastic coated steel sheeting, part what looks
like fibre-glass sheeting). Water is dripping down the wooden beams of
the garage from the rain and, I think, condensation. The leaks are
caused by the bright spark who built it attaching the sheets to the
timbers at the trough of each corrugation rather than at the
crest/peak. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can solve this without
having to buy new sheeting?

Loosen or remove each fixing, slather the hole with silicone or bitumenised
roofing muck, stick a rubber washer over it and refix. That should get rid
of most of the leakage, I reckon?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben R was thinking very hard :
Hi

We've just bought a house with a double garage with a shallow-sloping
corrugated roof (part plastic coated steel sheeting, part what looks
like fibre-glass sheeting). Water is dripping down the wooden beams of
the garage from the rain and, I think, condensation. The leaks are
caused by the bright spark who built it attaching the sheets to the
timbers at the trough of each corrugation rather than at the
crest/peak. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can solve this without
having to buy new sheeting?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Attaching the sheet steel down by the troughs (if you are referring to
those) is absolutely the correct method. The bolts used should have an
integral rubber like washer, which is designed to seal itself between
the underside of the bolt and the sheet. Check the correct bolts have
been used and that the rubber washers are intact. Bolting through the
troughs is the only way to produce enough pressure to get a proper
seal, otherwise the metal sheet would simply deform.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dear All

Thanks for your help - I stand corrected and should have never been so
flippant with my bright spark comments.

The bright spark has used the screws with the rubberised washers but
many of the screws and the metal part of the washers are quite
corroded, so I guess that replacing them and using silicone sealant
will be the best bet.

Cheers again

Ben