Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Bill - Is this Eccessive?

Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage
please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

It would be excessive for us but if you have all electric cooking and heavy
usage of drier, washing machine and dishwasher what else can you expect? Low
energy lightbulbs will have little impact on what you use on heating in
those machines.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Too many variables to know really, but some things to consider.

Lights have a negligible impact on your bill, as do most electronics.
Things which affect your bill are devices that generate a lot of heat.
For example:

Tumble drier on for 1 hour: 3kW hours, 24p
18W CF bulb on for 1 week: 3kW hours, 24p

Look at your cooker, washing machine, dish washer and tumble drier usage
- that will make up 75% of your consumption.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:49:06 -0000, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

That do seem a bit on the high side. Immersion heater on 24/7?

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:56:22 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Too many variables to know really, but some things to consider.

Lights have a negligible impact on your bill, as do most electronics.
Things which affect your bill are devices that generate a lot of heat.
For example:

Tumble drier on for 1 hour: 3kW hours, 24p
18W CF bulb on for 1 week: 3kW hours, 24p

Look at your cooker, washing machine, dish washer and tumble drier usage
- that will make up 75% of your consumption.

Totally agree with Grunff's analysis. One other thing that can gradually become
inefficient are fridges.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Get a large Red LED numerical display, reading watts consumed - and
place in a central part of the house where all can see it. Yell at
people every time it trips over some agreed limit.

And then grab a beer ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote

That do seem a bit on the high side. Immersion heater on 24/7?

You got me thinking there Wanderer!
Water heating should be via gas boiler/indirect cylinder.
But we did have the immersion on while the plumbing was being re-worked!
Having run out of hot water a couple of times it's unlikely that the
immersion has been on all this time - but I will check

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote

Tumble drier on for 1 hour: 3kW hours, 24p
18W CF bulb on for 1 week: 3kW hours, 24p

Look at your cooker, washing machine, dish washer and tumble drier usage -
that will make up 75% of your consumption.

--
Grunff

Thanks Grunff, but what's a CF bulb?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Yes. We will stop freaking out about our £30 a month bill for roughly
the same thing!

Find what ever it is and kill it quick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Grunff" wrote

Tumble drier on for 1 hour: 3kW hours, 24p
18W CF bulb on for 1 week: 3kW hours, 24p

Look at your cooker, washing machine, dish washer and tumble drier usage -
that will make up 75% of your consumption.

--
Grunff

Thanks Grunff, but what's a CF bulb?

Phil

compact fluorescent == energy saving

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage
please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Mine bill is similar, but in a 3 bed semi.

However, in my case, part of the reason is a server and tape autochanger on
24/7 along with a large fish tank and all it's filters/pumps/heaters etc
running.
And that's before I start looking at electric oven, and washing machine /
dishwasher usage, and the 6kw of electric heaters in the garage which get a
bit of use this time of year when I'm working down there!

I have economy 7 and have the washing machine and dishwasher on timers so
that most of their usage is in the cheap period. I just wish the wife could
make sure EVERY was was overnight!

The oven will be relaced with a gas one when it next dies, the heating
elements only seem to last for about 2 years in it.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Thanks Grunff, but what's a CF bulb?

A Compact Fluorescent - a low energy bulb.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Is that a "real" electric bill or an estimate? Utility companies
routinely overestimate so they can get interest-free loans from their
customers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:49:06 -0000, TheScullster wrote:

That do seem a bit on the high side. Immersion heater on 24/7?

Doesn't make a huge difference. I put a meter and timer on the immersion at
work to try and save them a few quid and was surprised at the results.
Running it for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon used only
slightly less than having it on 24 hours a day. It is well lagged mind.

--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:43:53 GMT, Ian wrote:

That do seem a bit on the high side. Immersion heater on 24/7?

Doesn't make a huge difference.

Agreed, assuming that the thermostat hasn't stuck ON, but you'd proably
notice the cylinder boiling, makes quite din...

Of all the things listed there the tumble drier is probably the biggest
consumer. 2 or 3kW for all the time it is on maybe 45min to an hour,
thats 2+ units.

The dishwasher will take a bit when heating the water, dishwashers are
generally cold fill only. The washer may well be hot and cold and won't
be heating the water electrically unless doing a really hot wash,
unlikely for most washes these days.

You have, of course, checked you are not on an expensive tarrif. I pay
7.191p/unit (+ VAT at 5%) with a Scottish Power Online tarrif with
standing charge. Don't get fooled into tarrifs with no "standing charge",
apart from EBICO Equipower, they invariabaly charge more for the fist X
units/qtr. Stangely the extra amount they collect this way is within
pence of the standing charge...

To find your best deal you really needd to use one of the switching
websites, as not only does each supplier have several tarrifs, the price
of those tarrifs depends on where you are.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:49:06 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster"
wrote this:-

Electric Cooking

Do you cook a lot in the oven, or on the top of the stove? The top
is usually cheaper to cook on. Do you do long cooking in a slow
cooker, or the oven/hob?

Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Do you have off-peak electricity? If so is everything that can be
run overnight?

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Are all the lights left on (hall, stairs for example) energy saving?
Do you have any of those fashionable little downlighters?

Have you checked you have switched to the right supplier for you?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Our house / family is nearly identical, except we have a gas hob and 1
daughter is away at Uni, (that has been costing us £7k/year).

Our quarterly standing order for electricity is £290.

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

If you have energy efficient bulbs reducing lighting usage by
switching lamps off as the room is vacated should be kept in proper
perspective, it saves almost nothing, plus they take some time to
achieve full light output, for me a big annoyance factor.

If someone were to have have an accident on the landing/stairs or with
a kettle whilst the twinklers were still in "twilight" mode it
wouldn't be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Tumbler drier and electric hob ! Usage of to be reduced forthwith.

A gas hob is faster than electric and cheaper to run. But needs a gas
installation job, and it would be moot as to whether there would be
any net return on the installation. Maybe when the kitchen is re-done.

OK with the current weather situation it bodes ill for drying on a
clothes line. Could the volume of washing done be reduced? My teenage
offspring could, and would go through 3 outfits per day each.

I'm seriously considering building a dedicated drying area in the
garden with perforated block walls and some sort of a roof. IIAC
1960's tower blocks provided such a facility.

Bit late now of course, the youngest is 20 and away from home.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage
please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Electricity 4 beds three adults

Feb 2006 £226
May 2006 £215
August 2006 £164
November 2006 £176

Gas heating and water - several TV's and computers, house normally occupied
during day.

When mine went high I discovered that the thermostat on the freezer had
broken and the compressor was running nearly all the time.

Neighbour with a very high bill discovered that his immersion heater had
been turned on 24/7, he normally uses gas for water heating!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Our house / family is nearly identical, except we have a gas hob and 1
daughter is away at Uni, (that has been costing us £7k/year).
Our quarterly standing order for electricity is £290.

Ours isn't dissimilar (except as below) but we have 6 computers on
permanently (don't ask); four are oldish low power jobs.

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

If you have energy efficient bulbs reducing lighting usage by
switching lamps off as the room is vacated should be kept in proper
perspective, it saves almost nothing, plus they take some time to
achieve full light output, for me a big annoyance factor.
If someone were to have have an accident on the landing/stairs or with
a kettle whilst the twinklers were still in "twilight" mode it
wouldn't be worth it.

Exactly. They're OK in their place, but I hate them in a living/working
space and in most other places the lights aren't on enough to make it
effective in the short or even medium term.

Any thoughts?

Tumbler drier and electric hob ! Usage of to be reduced forthwith.

Absolutely. We do have a gas hob. The tumbler drier is used only when
absolutely necessary. One of the most cost effective things we ever did
was install a 'Sheila Mid' (drying rack on ropes) in the utility room.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:15:38 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Absolutely. We do have a gas hob. The tumbler drier is used only when
absolutely necessary. One of the most cost effective things we ever did
was install a 'Sheila Mid' (drying rack on ropes) in the utility room.

That should of course be "Sheila Maid". And our bill is about £250 a
quarter, possibly less now we're with Ebico.

It's worth pointing out that the switching sites don't always make it
easy to find tariffs in cases where they don't get commission. You have
to look out and check things like 'social tariffs' and others. In my
case, I was then presented with a 'do you really want to do this, they
are a small company' warning to try and put me off (Uswitch I think).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:44:03 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard
wrote this:-

If you have energy efficient bulbs reducing lighting usage by
switching lamps off as the room is vacated should be kept in proper
perspective, it saves almost nothing, plus they take some time to
achieve full light output,

That depends on the particular model of lamp. Some start very
quickly and are at full brightness in a second or two. Others take
longer to start.

Modern models for some time have generally started very quickly.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:44:03 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Our quarterly standing order for electricity is £290.

£47.50/month (£142.50 qtr) and I think thats a lot. Last bills have been
163.32 146.99 137.97 148.14 140.39 124.31 so it's about right for our
consumption.

A gas hob is faster than electric and cheaper to run. But needs a gas
installation job, and it would be moot as to whether there would be
any net return on the installation. Maybe when the kitchen is re-done.

By "gas installation job" do you means mains gas (if available) or
propane cylinders outside? The latter shouldn't cost a great deal and gas
is SO much nicer to cook on than electric. The Hob itself will probably
fit the existing worktop cutout.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tumble drier on for 1 hour: 3kW hours, 24p
18W CF bulb on for 1 week: 3kW hours, 24p

Small addendum to this, most suppliers are now over 10p/unit, so this
will be 30p+ per hour
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:33:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:44:03 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Our quarterly standing order for electricity is £290.

£47.50/month (£142.50 qtr) and I think thats a lot. Last bills have been
163.32 146.99 137.97 148.14 140.39 124.31 so it's about right for our
consumption.

Yes, I appreciate we've paid a lot over the years when the kids were
young (largely for the convenience of tumbler drying), I can't say I
think our bills/metering have been wrong, it's down to our usage

If SWMBO had had to get out in the back garden to hang out clothes to
dry, she would have "impinged" on our children to be less profligate
with their use of newly washed clothes. As I said, frequently 3
changes per day.

I'm now investigating the prospects for a clothes drying "Area" in the
garden, screened and roofed, perhaps mechanically ventilated to
improve the speed of drying, and possibly solar heated in the summer.

A gas hob is faster than electric and cheaper to run. But needs a gas
installation job, and it would be moot as to whether there would be
any net return on the installation. Maybe when the kitchen is re-done.

By "gas installation job" do you means mains gas (if available) or
propane cylinders outside? The latter shouldn't cost a great deal and ...

No, I meant in most cases it's a job for a Corgi installer. Naturally
if there's no mains gas it costs even more.

gas is SO much nicer to cook on than electric. The Hob itself will probably
fit the existing worktop cutout.

Agreed.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jan 2007 22:20:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

That should of course be "Sheila Maid". And our bill is about £250 a
quarter, possibly less now we're with Ebico.

Are you sure? EBICO are good for low users but not so good for those that
will always use the first N units of a "no standing charge" tarrif and at
£230/qtr you will be doing that easyly. You may as well shop for the
lowest unit price you can find and ignore the standing charge element.

I have EquiPower for the barn and cottage as they are very low use whilst
being refurbished and the standing charges of normal tarrifs dwarfed the
useage. Scottish Power provides our main consumption. Standard Equipower
is 9.81p/unit here v 7.191p/unit on Scottish. Scottish standing charge is
12.39p/day so if I use more than 4.73 units/day on Equipower that is the
more expensive tarrif. Your spend of £250/qtr probably means about 25
units/day that works out at about 50p/day more expensive or £45/qtr...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

£47.50/month (£142.50 qtr) and I think thats a lot. Last bills have been
163.32 146.99 137.97 148.14 140.39 124.31 so it's about right for our
consumption.

We pay £60 per month gas, £60 per month electric - we have 2 PCs on
24/7, the gas central heating is on 24/7 over the winter months, and
afaik we're just within the payment regime we set artificially high
early last year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek Geldard" wrote in message

By "gas installation job" do you means mains gas (if available) or
propane cylinders outside? The latter shouldn't cost a great deal and ...

No, I meant in most cases it's a job for a Corgi installer. Naturally
if there's no mains gas it costs even more.

You may be surprised - a couple of propane bottles, a regulator and a length
of pipe is remarkably easy to arrange, and really quite cheap. Definitely
cheaper than getting BG to install a hob, though that's probably not saying
much.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:51:40 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 11 Jan 2007 22:20:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

That should of course be "Sheila Maid". And our bill is about £250 a
quarter, possibly less now we're with Ebico.

Are you sure? EBICO are good for low users but not so good for those that
will always use the first N units of a "no standing charge" tarrif and at
£230/qtr you will be doing that easyly. You may as well shop for the
lowest unit price you can find and ignore the standing charge element.

It works out about £30/quarter less than our previous supplier. Possibly
not the cheapest, but my statement is accurate!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Detached 4 Bed house
2 Adults 2 kids
Mostly energy saver bulbs
Gas heating - no electric fans/fires
Electric Cooking
2 TVs
2 Computers
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

Try to keep lights to a minimum but you know what kids are!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you sure the bills are
based on real readings. Sometimes estimated readings can be very wrong.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert Laws" wrote

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you sure the bills are
based on real readings. Sometimes estimated readings can be very wrong.

No these are based on genuine readings according to er indoors.
As a point of interest, we have just received notification that our supply
company want to change the meter on the 18th of this month.
That could prove interesting!

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:40:51 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:

No, I meant in most cases it's a job for a Corgi installer. Naturally
if there's no mains gas it costs even more.

All together now, wrong. You can do gas in your own home or not for
reward provided you are "competent". A couple of cylinders, regulators,
automatic changeover and a bit of pipe is not very hard. You could do
away with the auto change over if you don't mind running out of gas half
way through cooking sunday lunch and having to go out mid storm to swap
cylinders.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan 2007 07:32:38 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

It works out about £30/quarter less than our previous supplier.
Possibly not the cheapest, but my statement is accurate!

I can well believe it. There was a thread not that long ago where prices
of 15p/unit where quoted, I couldn't believe that such rates were out
there until I looked. I guess inertia, horror stories of fupped up
paperwork and lack of understanding of the "opened up market" means, stop
people shopping around.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

As a point of interest, we have just received notification that
our supply company want to change the meter on the 18th of this
month. That could prove interesting!

Make a note of the serial number and reading of
both the old and new meters at time of changeover.
If they make a cockup on the next bill you are
stuffed without this independant record.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

My mrs was complaining last night about the size of the old leccy bill.
Can anyone give their experience of similar property cost and usage
please?

Last quarter cost was about 311GBP.

Is that a "real" electric bill or an estimate? Utility companies
routinely overestimate so they can get interest-free loans from their
customers.

But you pay bills in arrears ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:43:53 GMT, Ian wrote:

That do seem a bit on the high side. Immersion heater on 24/7?

Doesn't make a huge difference.

Agreed, assuming that the thermostat hasn't stuck ON, but you'd proably
notice the cylinder boiling, makes quite din...

It doesn't make sense to have an immersion heater - or any means of heating
stored hot water - without a thermostat.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Derek Geldard" wrote in message

By "gas installation job" do you means mains gas (if available) or
propane cylinders outside? The latter shouldn't cost a great deal and ...

No, I meant in most cases it's a job for a Corgi installer. Naturally
if there's no mains gas it costs even more.

You may be surprised - a couple of propane bottles, a regulator and a
length of pipe is remarkably easy to arrange, and really quite cheap.
Definitely cheaper than getting BG to install a hob, though that's
probably not saying much.

But the gas costs more and there's the inconvenience and ****ible expense of
exchanging the empty bottle for a new one.

Mary

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:22:37 -0000, TheScullster wrote:

"Robert Laws" wrote

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you sure the bills are
based on real readings. Sometimes estimated readings can be very wrong.

No these are based on genuine readings according to er indoors.
As a point of interest, we have just received notification that our supply
company want to change the meter on the 18th of this month.
That could prove interesting!

There is, or was, a statutory requirement for them to leave a card with old
and new meter readings. Ask for the readings when they do the work.

Also, don't be surprised if the new meter reading isn't zero (or a nominal
6 units, if memory serves correctly). RECs were in the habit of re-issuing
meters without recertification that were removed from service within 5
years of being certified, IYSWIM.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:49:06 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

2 Adults 2 kids
Tumble drier, washing m/c and dishwasher all in daily use

I recently helped a friend change their washing machine which had
died after two years. I thought this was a bit premature until we
did an autopsy on the thing to discover it was the washing machine
equivalent of the internals of a 90fags/20 pints a day trucker. It
looked as if it was 15 years old and whatever was capable of wearing
had.

I asked him how often it was used but he had no idea (he is only
marginally aware that there are two small human like objects called
children living with him). Apparently it and the tumble drier run
more or less non-stop all day and every day and if a belt fed model
was available 'er indoors would have bought it. Night running on a
lower tariff was out of the question because that would have limited
her to one load a day, a situation it was apparently quite impossible
to survive.

Their electricity bill was a bit (but not that much) higher than
yours.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

Thanks Grunff, but what's a CF bulb?

A Compact Fluorescent - a low energy bulb.

carbon fibre?
:-)

BGE Maryland, and an old electric bill mm Home Repair 10 June 9th 06 04:58 PM
HIGH ELECTRIC BILL Freckles Home Repair 11 January 30th 06 12:21 PM
electric bill Freckles Home Repair 10 January 28th 06 09:50 PM
Big jump in electric bill Art Home Repair 10 November 11th 05 02:33 AM
Electric Bill Dave UK diy 7 February 18th 05 10:54 AM