Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Teflon woven teflon matting

I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal

I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

And following on from the teflon thread a while back, I was wondering
about the HSE implications of using this stuff, since it does eventually
blacken and burn away

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal

I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

And following on from the teflon thread a while back, I was wondering
about the HSE implications of using this stuff, since it does eventually
blacken and burn away

The fumes from burnt Teflon are apparently quite toxic to birds, which
has been known for some time. It also appears that there's a risk to
humans too. I've included a few links that might help you weigh up the
pros and cons:

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jun/7/teflon_toxicity.htm

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...ic=31356&st=30

Apologies if any if this came up in a previous thread - I missed it.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal
I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

You can now get non-stick sheeting in the supermarket - would that be
suitable ? (afaik its teflon)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
[...]

Well between that and the asbestos dust and solder fumes and everything
else

.... am I actually still alive,

or just a figment of the collective imagination of uk.d-i-y ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:30:24 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

snip

The fumes from burnt Teflon are apparently quite toxic to birds, which
has been known for some time. It also appears that there's a risk to
humans too. I've included a few links that might help you weigh up the
pros and cons:

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jun/7/teflon_toxicity.htm

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...ic=31356&st=30

Apologies if any if this came up in a previous thread - I missed it.

Well between that and the asbestos dust and solder fumes and everything
else

... am I actually still alive,

or just a figment of the collective imagination of uk.d-i-y ?

I know what you mean...I quite enjoy a ciggy after a fry-up.
Statistically I was dead eight years before I was born...

Nothing beats the smell of Teflon in the morning...

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal

I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

And following on from the teflon thread a while back, I was wondering
about the HSE implications of using this stuff, since it does eventually
blacken and burn away

Stuff on mine looks like teflon tape, but how the hell do you stick it
down?

If yours is burning it must be heating well beyond the temp needed for
bag sealing. Reducing the power a little may solve that. May mean it
takes slightly longer per seal.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

http://www.bake-o-glide.co.uk/Falcon-Products-dom.htm

They also have an industrial products division

http://www.bake-o-glide.co.uk/Falcon-Products-ind.htm

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And following on from the teflon thread a while back, I was wondering
about the HSE implications of using this stuff, since it does eventually
blacken and burn away

Stuff on mine looks like teflon tape, but how the hell do you stick it
down?

If yours is burning it must be heating well beyond the temp needed for
bag sealing. Reducing the power a little may solve that. May mean it
takes slightly longer per seal.

Teflon is stable up to about 370 C, when it decomposes it produces HF which
is very nasty indeed. My guess is that the black deposits are partially
oxidised polythene. I'm not sure what the baking sheet stuff is (silicone?)
but it must take over 200 C. It won't be quite as non-stick but it would be
quick and easy to do a trial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Great site! Wish I had time to read it all.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:45:31 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Great site! Wish I had time to read it all.

Glad you liked it, thanks for the compliment!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson writes
I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal
I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

You can now get non-stick sheeting in the supermarket - would that be
suitable ? (afaik its teflon)

It's a woven fabric and has to stand the temperature of the heating
element as well as not sticking to the molten polythene

I've not seen it (I haven't been in a supermarket for a long long time)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
[...]

Ah yes - I forgot the 50 a day until last September

Statistically I was dead eight years before I was born...

Nothing beats the smell of Teflon in the morning...

I was tempted ... but resisted that one

Regards,

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:17:57 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:30:24 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

snip

Well between that and the asbestos dust and solder fumes and everything
else

... am I actually still alive,

or just a figment of the collective imagination of uk.d-i-y ?

I know what you mean...I quite enjoy a ciggy after a fry-up.

Ah yes - I forgot the 50 a day until last September

50 fry ups a day! You rock!!

Statistically I was dead eight years before I was born...

Nothing beats the smell of Teflon in the morning...

I was tempted ... but resisted that one

Go on, you know you want to!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:48:49 GMT, raden wrote:

I'm sure it must be possible to get this on a roll , which would be
ideal, but my google-fu seems to be weak in that direction

http://www.bake-o-glide.co.uk/Falcon-Products-dom.htm

They also have an industrial products division

http://www.bake-o-glide.co.uk/Falcon-Products-ind.htm

Of course, I thought I'd seen it somewhere obvious before

unfortunately I can't get the URL to load ATM, I'll try at work tomorrow

cheers

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal

If it's a bag sealer (i.e. a narrow heated line), then it probably
needs PTFE or graphite cloth. It's still available (you didn't think
the sealer manufacturers wove it themselves, did you?) but not cheap,
or available in handy sizes from cheap shops. RS might carry it, as do
the better engineering or lab suppliers. Last time I bodged something
with it I had to unravel some woven PTFE rope that was intended for use
as a valve seal.

If it's a laminator (wide area) then the peak temperature is usually a
bit lower and you can get away with Kevlar. This has the advantage of
not wearing out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, "Andy
Dingley " writes

raden wrote:
I have an impulse sealer (for heat sealing plastic bags) and it's no
longer supported by the manufacturer, which means that I can no longer
get the woven teflon material which goes between the heating element and
the plastic bags to seal

If it's a bag sealer (i.e. a narrow heated line), then it probably
needs PTFE

Yes -

or graphite cloth.

No

It's still available (you didn't think
the sealer manufacturers wove it themselves, did you?)

Err ... no

but not cheap,
or available in handy sizes from cheap shops.

Whatever - that's what I'm looking for

RS might carry it,

no

as do
the better engineering or lab suppliers.

If you have the correct keywords ..

Last time I bodged something
with it I had to unravel some woven PTFE rope that was intended for use
as a valve seal.

If it's a laminator (wide area) then the peak temperature is usually a
bit lower and you can get away with Kevlar. This has the advantage of
not wearing out.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 01:08:31 GMT, raden wrote:

Whatever - that's what I'm looking for

If you are still having problems with the Falcon web site :-

Falcon Products Ltd,
Falcon House,
Commerce Street,
Carrs Industrial Estate,
Haslingden. BB4 5JT
Tel: 01706 224790 - Fax: 01706 225828
Email:

Their domestic stuff is GBP1.99 per m for 110mm wide
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 01:08:31 GMT, raden wrote:

Whatever - that's what I'm looking for

If you are still having problems with the Falcon web site :-

Falcon Products Ltd,
Falcon House,
Commerce Street,
Carrs Industrial Estate,
Haslingden. BB4 5JT
Tel: 01706 224790 - Fax: 01706 225828
Email:

Their domestic stuff is GBP1.99 per m for 110mm wide

I got through today

They do an impulse sealer grade

I ordered a roll - 5m x 1m width, about £100

one metre is, of course, exactly three times the length I need

It will last a lifetime

Thanks Peter, exactly what I needed

--
geoff

Teflon tape Eigenvector Home Repair 18 May 31st 06 01:26 AM
Teflon Pipe Tape or TFE Paste Thread Compound with Teflon for Galvanized to ABS Threads?? scale Home Repair 3 November 5th 05 09:46 PM
OT - Teflon Coating stone Metalworking 3 September 29th 05 02:04 PM
Teflon tape/ Hydraulics larsen-tools Metalworking 17 June 2nd 04 01:40 AM