Do not have a Polycarbonate roof on Conservatory 0 0%
Do Not have a Conservatory 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Junior Member

Angry Break-In via Conservatory Roof

Hi,

I have recently had the experience of a break-in, where the burgulars entered via the Conservatory roof! The doors/windows proved to strong for them so they picked on the PolyCarbonate Roof as a weak point! Basically the side they entered from is butted up against a flat Garage Roof, so easy to work on! and climb in. Apart from the obvious 'removing the flat roof', what else can practically be done to the Conservatory Roof to stop this from happening again?

I have fitted an alarm NOW and am also going to put locks on internal doors but apart from that! what else can i do to stop them removing the panels?.

Last edited by Leo Hussein : January 2nd 07 at 04:20 PM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Break-In via Conservatory Roof

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:15:59 +0000, Leo Hussein
wrote:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------
|A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
|results, please visit http://forums.yourdomain.com.au/showthread.php?t=187792

I not diybanter in your email address.
This is a commercial company using the usenet newsgroup uk.d-i-y for
commercial gain.

Please subscribe to uk.d-i-y in the normal way where the B*st*rds will not
rip us all off.

Dave Fawthrop The above was posted
to usenet newsgroup uk.d-i-y not diybanter. The information contained
in this post is copyright the poster, and specifically may not be
published in, or used by http://www.diybanter.com.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Leo Hussein" wrote in message

----
results, please visit

http://forums.yourdomain.com.au/showthread.php?t=187792

----
Question: Has this happened to Anyone else?

- Yes
- No
- Do not have a Polycarbonate roof on Conservatory
- Do Not have a Conservatory

----

--
Leo Hussein

Keep Crocodiles in the conservatory ?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leo Hussein wrote:

[...]

If your conservatory is exempt from building regs - which most are - there
*must* be a final exit door between the house and conservatory so that they
are thermally isolated. All you have to do is to make this door is secure -
then anyone getting into the conservatory *won't* get into the house.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tx2 wrote:
In article ,
thought we might be interested in the
following...

If your conservatory is exempt from building regs - which most are -
there *must* be a final exit door between the house and conservatory
so that they are thermally isolated.

What law, if any, is being broken if there isn't this arrangement?

None, these idiotic rules are in place to stop people doing what they want,
they often fail...see below.

My wife's nephew and partner have recently bought and renovated a
house where the conservatory is an extension to the lounge, merely
now having part of the original wall as a divider.

They had a surveyor look at the property - a mid terrace house - prior
to purchasing.

And he couldn't care less!

In addition, the conservatory is physically joined to next doors'
conservatory, both sharing a rain channel, albeit along the top of the
brick wall that divides them. Apparently, the previous owners were
very good mates!

They are often used as a means of putting up extensions without
permission....a conservatory goes up, complete with idiotic doors betwixt
house and it, 3 months down the line doors get removed, 6 months down the
line, polycarbonate roof gets replaced with timber and tiles and hey-presto,
it's an extension without building control, local council etc being
involved....the drawbcks often only surface when the house is being sold and
no plans are found, then it either gets taken down, or the appropriate
amount of cash required to get it up to scratch is knocked off the asking
price by the buyer's solicitor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tx2 wrote:
In article ,
thought we might be interested in the
following...

[...]

None, these idiotic rules are in place to stop people doing what
they want, they often fail...see below.

There is no 'extension' planned, and the rear lounge wall was knocked
down at the same time as the addition of the conservatory. We know
this because the conservatory was constructed about the same time the
guy decided to sell. There was no glass in the conservatory when they
went to view the place, and protective tape still covered the uPVC!

Odd I know, but that is how it was, and I recall them 'boasting' how
they were getting a new conservatory with the house.

My query was relating to the comment made which stated doors *must* be
present - I was wondering if any law had been broken as such. Is it
because this conservatory is no longer really a conservatory, but an
extension, albeit a uPVC one, or is this a very grey area?

If it's seperated by *lockable* house doors, then it's an outbuilding, like
a greenhouse or shed...people often leave part of the wall up on each side
and 'intend' to put double lockable doors on it, but never get around to it,
or remove them as soon as any official has seen it completed...it is a pale
grey area and most la's look the other way TBH, but as I've already said,
people can get caught out - if the previous owner tiled his roof and used it
as an unnoficial extension, he may have had to put it back as a conservatory
in order to sell it, IE knock it down and start again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tx2 wrote:

In article ,
thought we might be interested in the
following...

If your conservatory is exempt from building regs - which most are -
there *must* be a final exit door between the house and conservatory
so that they are thermally isolated.

What law, if any, is being broken if there isn't this arrangement?

I quote from the Building Control section of my local authority's website:

Conservatories
A conservatory is exempt from building regulations (but not necessarily
planning permission) as long as it is;
* Less than 30 square metres
* At ground level in a domestic property
* At least 50% of new walls are of a transparent or translucent material.
* At least 75% of the roof is of a transparent or translucent material.
* It must be separated from the habitable parts of the dwelling by external
quality windows / doors.
* Any glazing below 1500mm in height in doors or within 300mm of a door must
be toughened / laminated glass or polycarbonate.
* Any glazing below 800mm in height must be toughened / laminated glass or
polycarbonate.
* Any heating in the conservatory has it's own separate heating controls and
can be completely switched off / isolated when not required.

Take particular note of the 5th bullet point!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Help - Conservatory Roof Coming Apart! [email protected] UK diy 5 January 2nd 07 09:55 PM
Conservatory Roof Window? Saxman UK diy 1 July 20th 06 07:03 AM
Conservatory roof poppyo UK diy 6 March 9th 06 02:59 PM
Can "conservatory" have a tiled roof. Shabs UK diy 5 March 8th 05 10:26 AM
Conservatory Roof Glass ? mark b UK diy 2 December 11th 04 08:40 AM