Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Break-In via Conservatory Roof

Tx2 wrote:
In article ,
thought we might be interested in the
following...

[...]

None, these idiotic rules are in place to stop people doing what
they want, they often fail...see below.

There is no 'extension' planned, and the rear lounge wall was knocked
down at the same time as the addition of the conservatory. We know
this because the conservatory was constructed about the same time the
guy decided to sell. There was no glass in the conservatory when they
went to view the place, and protective tape still covered the uPVC!

Odd I know, but that is how it was, and I recall them 'boasting' how
they were getting a new conservatory with the house.

My query was relating to the comment made which stated doors *must* be
present - I was wondering if any law had been broken as such. Is it
because this conservatory is no longer really a conservatory, but an
extension, albeit a uPVC one, or is this a very grey area?

If it's seperated by *lockable* house doors, then it's an outbuilding, like
a greenhouse or shed...people often leave part of the wall up on each side
and 'intend' to put double lockable doors on it, but never get around to it,
or remove them as soon as any official has seen it completed...it is a pale
grey area and most la's look the other way TBH, but as I've already said,
people can get caught out - if the previous owner tiled his roof and used it
as an unnoficial extension, he may have had to put it back as a conservatory
in order to sell it, IE knock it down and start again.