Meoww

Default Cleaning the loft..;.

We've just turned our stone slate roof which had been back-pointed
over the years. The back pointing and other **** fell into the loft
space on top of the old fibre glass where it's obviously consorted
with the original **** which has been in situ since the house was
built (1811). Consequently it all wants cleaning out. The ceilings
are lath and plaster so easy sweeping between the ceiling spars isn't
an option. Space is also at a premium as the King Post bisects the
space quite nicely thank you! Does anyone know if there such a thing
as an industrial vacuum cleaner with a larger hose than you normally
find on Henrys and such like. The bits of pointing will block Henry's
nose and I'm thinking that a machine with a 3 or 4 " hose might be
useful. Any ideas?

By the way, I'm talking hiring here, not buying. Quick google on hire
sites wasn't too helpful.

Patrick
nightjar

"Meoww" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've got one made by BVC that uses two motors, which have to be switched on
sequentially to avoid blowing the 13A fuse in the plug, and a 25ft x 3"
hose, which we use for cleaning the factories. I would be surprised if you
could not hire something similar.

Try looking for industrial cleaning supply companies, as well as ordianry
tool hire companies. That is where I hire a floor sweeping machine when I
need one.

Colin Bignell

Parish

Meoww wrote:

[...]

HSS. There must be one near you?

http://tinyurl.com/n1rt

Patrick

BAH

"Meoww" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I had the same problem, the weight of all the debris was causing the (3" x
2" joisted) ceilings to droop and when the (Heavy Duty) vacuum didn't clog
it was full in 5 minutes.
Finally went up there in disposable paper overalls, long gloves and
pressurised mask and with lots of black bags, brush and pan.
It took days, and the fibreglass was so full of mortar (torching) I scrapped
the lot. Finished off with the vacuum on the laths and plaster (I did get
someone to help me, and he promptly put his foot through the ceiling).

I subsequently removed the tiles, felted and re-laid them - prior to attic
conversion.

HTH
BAH

Bob Mannix

"BAH" wrote in message

"Meoww" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ditto. The insulation may not be as thick as you want and will be compressed
and isn't *that* expensive. Roll all the crap up in the insulation and bag
it. Nice it aint. Another tip, once you have hoovered all the joists and
laths etc., it's an ideal time to get it sprayed for woodworm.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Pete Cross

Our last house was an 1850's stone terrace with stone roof that had been
back pointed or torched. We had a firm trun it over and felt it as it was
letting water in left right and centre. All seemed well and we sold the
house. We then built an extension on the newer 1930's house and found a
retired 73 yr old roofer to do the slates, he really knew his stuff, even
telling where the slates came from which I checked with the supplier. In
talking I mentioned our old house and he said he lived down the road from it
and remembers seeing the job ! he pointed out that turning them wasn't the
thing to do as the newly exposed surface will now start to break up in
strata and the stresses in the stones may cause them now to crack. They
should have been cleaned off and replaced the same way around. He also said
that the felt will reduce the ventilation to the roof timbers compared to
the original installation and that properly laid stone roofs didn't need
felting. Anyway, 7 yrs later the roof still appears to be ok when we drive
past but I did get the impression he knew his roofs. His other gripe was
that there weren't aprentices these days and his knowledge will die with
him.

--
Pete Cross

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:11:50 -0700, "nightjar".uk.com wrote:

I've got one made by BVC that uses two motors, which have to be
switched on sequentially to avoid blowing the 13A fuse in the plug,
and a 25ft x 3" hose, which we use for cleaning the factories. I
would be surprised if you could not hire something similar.

Sounds like the beast that my Dad did hire many moons ago to clean out
the loft in his house. No sarking, no insulation and 50+ years of
grime laying the best part of 1/4" thick over the ceiling joists and
lath/plaster ceilings.

Did the job very well, emptied the canister two or three times (appox
2' dia and 2' high). This thing would pick up bricks given the chance
one had to be careful not to knock to many bits of plaster holding the
ceiling up off.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Rick Dipper

Sir

I just had my slate roof re-done, if you live in the right part of the world (north wales) there are some really good young roofers, who know their stuff.

Rick

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:27:02 +0100, "Pete Cross" 1@2 wrote:
[...]

No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM
Loft door hardware Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 25th 03 12:50 AM
Power to loft. Spur of 60A shower feed? Will Cooke UK diy 1 August 5th 03 12:15 AM
Windows Cleaning - Source of 'extension poles' and are they any good? StevieBoy UK diy 2 July 25th 03 09:50 PM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM