Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screeding a floor

Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven concrete
and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self levelling
compound isn't going to do it.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix and how
to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:03:50 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven concrete
and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self levelling
compound isn't going to do it.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix and how
to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

Recent thread on screeding a bit further down - about a garage floor.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:03:50 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven
concrete and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self
levelling compound isn't going to do it.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix and how
to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

===============================
For general advice on the subject:

http://www.enigmatist.com/free/john49/tbsfaq.htm

Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven concrete
and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self levelling
compound isn't going to do it.

It would. It isn't self levelling ..its self smoothing.

It will take a bit of a slope.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix and how
to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

Screed is dodgy in thin layers.

You can tile over all this stiff pretty quickly - as soon as its safe to
walk on really.

A couple of days.

IF you are tiling, then don't **** about - simply get some really good
fast set adhesive - I recommend Ardex Ardurit Rapid set..- and lay your
tiles on a thick and variable be. Yes it costs, but its a sight more
secure than most post installation screeds and levellings.

Ive used up to 30CM beds..in areas that are seriously thick, simply mix
in some blocks of wood etc within the tile cement to add depth at lower
cost.

Use strings and levels to work out what finished surface to lay to..and
then be slow and precise. I recommend fast set adhesive as you can walk
on it in an hour or two, and it has less time to 'slump' which makes the
job a lot simpler.

Mix the cement pretty stiff a little at a time. It goes off fast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven
concrete and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self
levelling compound isn't going to do it.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix
and how to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

If it's only an inch and it's being tiled over, then use normal sand and
cement, sharp sand mind, none of that soft stuff!

about 3:1 sand/cement will sufice, make sure the floor is free from dust and
grease (hoover it if possible) and then apply some neat PVA, just pour it on
and spread it, put the screed on this...I'd leave it for about 4 days to dry
if I were you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven concrete
and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self levelling
compound isn't going to do it.

Why not? Do you want to level it? Usually doors and steps dictate the
levels at either end.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix and how
to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

Screeding garage base? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 6 December 15th 06 04:55 PM
floor screeding tiscali UK diy 15 October 14th 06 01:57 PM
Recommend a floor paint - grotty timber interior floor & stairs. spacky_packy UK diy 2 August 2nd 06 09:01 PM
Floor Surgeons, Inc., Tampa, and Joe Greene are not recommended for floor refinishing [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 23rd 06 11:58 PM
Floor screeding disaster? Bill M UK diy 4 August 12th 04 05:05 PM