Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default floor screeding

gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tiscali" wrote in message
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete

floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Yes, get a man in !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"tiscali" wrote in message
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete

floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Yes, get a man in !

AWEM

To be more constructive, it would help to know how unlevel is unlevel, and
what sort of flooring you plan to end up with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down
well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct
way but worked for me :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.uk...

"tiscali" wrote in message
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete

floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Yes, get a man in !

AWEM

To be more constructive, it would help to know how unlevel is unlevel, and
what sort of flooring you plan to end up with.

Not sure how to measure the level but I guess it will need about an inch of
screed. Seems to be a smooth hump in the middle of the old concrete.
Concrete probably 100 years old. Not decided on final finish yet, possibly
tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...

tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor,
about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down
well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct
way but worked for me :-)

thanks you make it sound easy!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down
well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct
way but worked for me :-)

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

If it's on the floor - don't you want it to slump?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

If it's on the floor - don't you want it to slump?

--
Skipweasel

Nope, nice dry mix for a screed :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

If it's on the floor - don't you want it to slump?

No.

Otherwise you get cracking at any seams and an un level floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Staffbull wrote:
tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down
well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct
way but worked for me :-)

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

Possibly stupid question, but presumably 'screed' in this case is not
what is sold as 'self-levelling floor screed', in which case what is
it? A product? a specific mixture of sand, cement otherstuff etc.?

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down
well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct
way but worked for me :-)

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

Possibly stupid question, but presumably 'screed' in this case is not
what is sold as 'self-levelling floor screed', in which case what is
it? A product? a specific mixture of sand, cement otherstuff etc.?

--
Steve F

1:3 sand cement, dry but not too "crumbly". I take it you know to use a
tamping batten from one of the leveled battens to the other and draw
the screed back tamping as you go, the floor is then guaranteed level
:-) as long as ure batens are level :-)

Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?
Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down
well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct
way but worked for me :-)

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet
screed cracks and slumps.

Possibly stupid question, but presumably 'screed' in this case is not
what is sold as 'self-levelling floor screed', in which case what is
it? A product? a specific mixture of sand, cement otherstuff etc.?

Screed is a weak mix of sharp sand and cement and a little water. I
think about 4:1 sand/cement

Its main claim to fame is that it is cheap, and holds its shape well on
drying.

It's worst features are that it doesn't self level, is weak, and porous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
tiscali wrote:
[...]

Oops wrong way round 1:3 cement sand, or it would cost you a bomb and
crack line hell :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tiscali wrote:
gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about
5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?

I had floor problems when refitting my kitchen, which I ended up bodging
to get it finished in the allotted time. However, if I had known about
the poor state of the floor before I began, I would have paid a builder
to put in a new floor. The builder I was using, for about the same
dimensions, quoted me about £400 for a new floor, to modern standards
with insulation etc.

Think about it.
Paul R