Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screeding a floor

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

I have to tile a small porch - about 4' x 5'. The floor is uneven concrete
and drops by as much as an inch over the 5' length, so self levelling
compound isn't going to do it.

It would. It isn't self levelling ..its self smoothing.

It will take a bit of a slope.

Seems to me a concrete screed is needed. Any tips re the best mix and how
to get it level?

How long should it dry before tiling over?

Screed is dodgy in thin layers.

You can tile over all this stiff pretty quickly - as soon as its safe to
walk on really.

A couple of days.

IF you are tiling, then don't **** about - simply get some really good
fast set adhesive - I recommend Ardex Ardurit Rapid set..- and lay your
tiles on a thick and variable be. Yes it costs, but its a sight more
secure than most post installation screeds and levellings.

Ive used up to 30CM beds..in areas that are seriously thick, simply mix
in some blocks of wood etc within the tile cement to add depth at lower
cost.

Use strings and levels to work out what finished surface to lay to..and
then be slow and precise. I recommend fast set adhesive as you can walk
on it in an hour or two, and it has less time to 'slump' which makes the
job a lot simpler.

Mix the cement pretty stiff a little at a time. It goes off fast.