Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Lasrejet toner up the duff? Or summat else..

My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te left
hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double vision..extra
black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is fairly
new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that is or
how to change it..

Cam.misc respondees please crosspost to UK.D-I-Y since clara net is
still borked as far as cam.misc goes..

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te left
hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double vision..extra black
text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is fairly
new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that is or how
to change it..

Cam.misc respondees please crosspost to UK.D-I-Y since clara net is still
borked as far as cam.misc goes..

It doesn't sound like toner to me although faint images is a sign that toner
is running low. How many pages since the toner pack was last changed? Sounds
more like something else where a roller is picking up and moving things
around in a way that it should not. Try removing the toner cartridege and
giving it a shake and replacing it. See if that alters the print. From
memory there are some corona wires on a 6P that can be cleaned. I don't
think there is a separate waste toner pack that is full.

At the risk of stating the obvious have you tried the troubleshooting
section of the manual or googled the symptoms?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te
left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double
vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of
the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is
fairly new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that
is or how to change it..

Cam.misc respondees please crosspost to UK.D-I-Y since clara net is
still borked as far as cam.misc goes..

HT got brewers droop?

Corona wire crudded up ?

toner a bit damp ?

p.s. I buy toner refills from Pro Print up in scotland - significantly
cheaper
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

hzatph wrote:
[...]

Yeah..well the story so far is..

I removed the toner and cleaned the drum and dropped carbon all over the
carpet.. its been one of those days.

That got the intensity back, but the image is still double.. I googled
and came across a handy tip..if you open the case with a page half fed
from the manual feed tray, and pull it out, if its good, the toner is
good and the fuser is the problem.

My pages were double right from the word go, so the its the toner drum
cartridge thats wonky,

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te
left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double
vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of
the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is
fairly new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what
that is or how to change it..

Cam.misc respondees please crosspost to UK.D-I-Y since clara net is
still borked as far as cam.misc goes..

HT got brewers droop?

Don;t think so.

Corona wire crudded up ?

How would I tell?

toner a bit damp ?

Not in this house, no.

p.s. I buy toner refills from Pro Print up in scotland - significantly
cheaper

In this case with the drum suspect, I think I'll get a genuine HP with
drum and all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

hzatph wrote:
[...]

Fuser problems on HP Laserjets usually appear as repeat ghosts of the proper
image vertically, every few cm. ( eg 75mm ) ( exact number of cm depends on
the exact printer model, since the diameter of the rollers varies. HP
service manuals give a table to look up the vertical repeat distance vs.
what's screwed and needs replaced.)

Ghosts to the left or right are not typical of fuser problems.

The test you mention pulls the un-fixed page out of the printer before it
gets to the fuser to prove this. If the page is good before the fuser, but
bad after, then it's the fuser that's had it.

You have already determined it's not the fuser, so I'd replace the toner
cartridge as a first step.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te left
hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double vision..extra black
text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is fairly
new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that is or

How old is the cartridge. I noted recently there is a 6 year use-before
recommendation, at least on 4P ones.

rusty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

rusty wrote:
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te left
hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double vision..extra black
text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is fairly
new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that is or

How old is the cartridge. I noted recently there is a 6 year use-before
recommendation, at least on 4P ones.

yeah..well..I got it about three years ago I think.

Never mind. Pretty sure a new one will cure it..its at least got a bit
darker..even if the ghosts are still there.

rusty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te
left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double
vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of
the actual print..

Faint print along the edge of the paper on my Apple/Xerox engine printer is
a mirror getting dirty and scattering the laser. In my case the mirror is
in the 'sealed' part of the machine necessitating a full disassembly. Is
the optics path clean?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Theo Markettos wrote:
raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te
left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double
vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of
the actual print..

Faint print along the edge of the paper on my Apple/Xerox engine printer is
a mirror getting dirty and scattering the laser. In my case the mirror is
in the 'sealed' part of the machine necessitating a full disassembly. Is
the optics path clean?

Ah..thanks for that..

I think what is happening is that I have somehow acquired two beams..now
on this printer you can clean the main mirror with a little brush, that
runs the entire width of the machine.... and I did that..but there are
definitely two images over the whole sheet. One proper one and one
displaced about 1 mm to the right, and very much fainter.

I am thinking there is a bit of dirt or a cracked mirror somewhere deep
inside..oh ****..

It hasn't been abused...

Wish I understood these things more..

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te
left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double
vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of
the actual print..

I always thought "up the duff" meant something quite different. Has the
meaning changed while I wasn't looking?

Katy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

K. Edgcombe wrote:
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te
left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double
vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of
the actual print..

I always thought "up the duff" meant something quite different. Has the
meaning changed while I wasn't looking?

well think hard about it.

Let's say it seems somewhat shagged..

Katy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

The Natural Philosopher muttered:

Theo Markettos wrote:
raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
[...]

Look on the bright side, you're getting a free drop shadow without having to
do a thing ;O)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
rusty wrote:
My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te left
hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double vision..extra black
text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is fairly
new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that is or

How old is the cartridge. I noted recently there is a 6 year use-before
recommendation, at least on 4P ones.

yeah..well..I got it about three years ago I think.

Never mind. Pretty sure a new one will cure it..its at least got a bit
darker..even if the ghosts are still there.

rusty.

I expect everyone knows this already, but http://www.supercharge.co.uk
in Gwydir Street are very helpful and good value for Laserjet
cartridges. I just had to buy one for a friend and they charged £25
versus the £70 it would have cost for a new HP one in Staples, They
deliver too.

Paul