Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Simple s-video distribution

Hi all,
I've seen some faceplates on the web which have a s-video and 2 phono
connections and had the bright idea to use these instead of forever
tripping over cables. Can I run 2 cables from 1 socket each going to a
different nearby room without too much loss of video quality?

I only intend to use one cable at a time and would like to connect
the 3 locations as a (triangular) ring, so that video can be sent in
different directions at various times.
Or would there need to be a switching device to prevent signal loss?

I currently use an s-video cable from PC to TV that is much longer
than any of the proposed cable runs and the picture is fine, so I
don't think distance is a big factor.

I've been reading threads on the automation and home theatre
newsgroups but so many of them develop into scientific knowledge
contests and I don't want to get that fussy.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Mills wrote:
[...]

Yes, you can do it, with the following provisos:
1) It may not work with more than 2 bits of equipment connected at any
one time.
2) Cable length is rather limited with S-video before you start losing
colour. But if you've done a test already and you're happy with the
results, then should be OK.
3) How's your soldering. S-video connectors are pretty difficult with
just 1 cable connected. 2 would be pretty tricky I would say (and I do
a *lot* of soldering)

Have fun.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Nov 2006 07:47:20 -0800, "Tournifreak"
wrote:

Geoff Mills wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reassurances. Though 3 is a bit intimidating, I'll go
ahead, even though most of my soldering so far has been on copper
plumbing.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:

3) How's your soldering. S-video connectors are pretty difficult with
just 1 cable connected. 2 would be pretty tricky I would say (and I do
a *lot* of soldering)

This is simplified by using short flying leads, no more than a couple of
inches, then soldering your 2 cables to those (and heatshrinking).

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:34:59 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Tournifreak wrote:

3) How's your soldering. S-video connectors are pretty difficult with
just 1 cable connected. 2 would be pretty tricky I would say (and I do
a *lot* of soldering)

This is simplified by using short flying leads, no more than a couple of
inches, then soldering your 2 cables to those (and heatshrinking).

That's hopeful. How are the flying leads attached to the terminals?
Is the heatshrinking part to do with wrapping the finished cable ends
in plastic material for extra insulation and/or support?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Mills wrote:

That's hopeful. How are the flying leads attached to the terminals?

Solder - you just solder some wires to the pins.

Is the heatshrinking part to do with wrapping the finished cable ends
in plastic material for extra insulation and/or support?

Each of the flying wires will need to be soldered to your 2 wires, going
to the other 2 sockets. Once you solder them, they'll look like a Y.
This solder joint needs insulating, and mechanical support. Heatshrink
achieves this.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:40:58 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Geoff Mills wrote:

That's hopeful. How are the flying leads attached to the terminals?

Solder - you just solder some wires to the pins.

Is the heatshrinking part to do with wrapping the finished cable ends
in plastic material for extra insulation and/or support?

Each of the flying wires will need to be soldered to your 2 wires, going
to the other 2 sockets. Once you solder them, they'll look like a Y.
This solder joint needs insulating, and mechanical support. Heatshrink
achieves this.

That's a big help. I'm a lot better prepared now.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:15:41 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:

Can I run 2 cables from 1 socket each going to a different nearby room
without too much loss of video quality?

I only intend to use one cable at a time and would like to connect
the 3 locations as a (triangular) ring, so that video can be sent in
different directions at various times.

I think you might end up fuzzying the signal as some of it will go A B
but some A C B, this may introduce ghosting. How bad this is depends
on how different the two path lenghts are.

Why not fit two sockets at each apex and cross plug (or loop) as
required? This ensures a single direct path for any connection.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:57:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:15:41 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:

Can I run 2 cables from 1 socket each going to a different nearby room
without too much loss of video quality?

I only intend to use one cable at a time and would like to connect
the 3 locations as a (triangular) ring, so that video can be sent in
different directions at various times.

I think you might end up fuzzying the signal as some of it will go A B
but some A C B, this may introduce ghosting. How bad this is depends
on how different the two path lenghts are.

Why not fit two sockets at each apex and cross plug (or loop) as
required? This ensures a single direct path for any connection.

Very good advice I guess but at the rate faceplates are going up on
these walls, I'm going to have some barely used buckets of magnolia
emulsion to sell on ebay. I think I might go for the s-video + audio
through cat5 cable option instead. Pricey hardware though.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Looking for a simple circuit to demux/split/de-linterlace NTSC video signals Electronics 1 July 7th 06 04:42 PM
A simple circuit to demux/split/de-linterlace NTSC video signals Electronics Repair 0 July 5th 06 06:47 AM
Distribution through DIY stores MarkSch UK diy 3 February 16th 06 08:46 AM
T.V. Distribution GymRatZ UK diy 3 October 24th 05 10:40 PM
Another cable tv distribution question Paper2002AD UK diy 6 July 9th 04 05:23 PM