Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak Tournifreak is offline

Default Simple s-video distribution

Geoff Mills wrote:
Hi all,
I've seen some faceplates on the web which have a s-video and 2 phono
connections and had the bright idea to use these instead of forever
tripping over cables. Can I run 2 cables from 1 socket each going to a
different nearby room without too much loss of video quality?

I only intend to use one cable at a time and would like to connect
the 3 locations as a (triangular) ring, so that video can be sent in
different directions at various times.
Or would there need to be a switching device to prevent signal loss?

I currently use an s-video cable from PC to TV that is much longer
than any of the proposed cable runs and the picture is fine, so I
don't think distance is a big factor.

I've been reading threads on the automation and home theatre
newsgroups but so many of them develop into scientific knowledge
contests and I don't want to get that fussy.

Yes, you can do it, with the following provisos:
1) It may not work with more than 2 bits of equipment connected at any
one time.
2) Cable length is rather limited with S-video before you start losing
colour. But if you've done a test already and you're happy with the
results, then should be OK.
3) How's your soldering. S-video connectors are pretty difficult with
just 1 cable connected. 2 would be pretty tricky I would say (and I do
a *lot* of soldering)

Have fun.

Jon.