Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing metal to plastic

Try not to make this too complicated...

The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

The door consist of two plastic parts forming the inside and
the outside of the door, with the glass and the fixings squashed
in between. Alignment on the hinge relys upon these two parts
being fixed together tightly. A replacement door is only available
as a full set of parts costing over 100 quid! (with delivery)

It fell off, because two of the pillars that the screws fit into
have broken off and it is no longer secure.

So, does anyone have any ideas how I form something that the
screws can screw into, to hold the door together properly again?
I don't think that glueing the pillars back on with super glue is
going to be strong enough, but perhaps it is?

TIA

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

Wouldn`t that be down the landlord to sort out then, rather than you ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-20 22:42:12 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

[...]

Surely it's the landlord's issue to get it fixed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

Wouldn`t that be down the landlord to sort out then, rather than you ?

I think he means the washing machine's rented, although ICBW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-20 22:42:12 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

[...]

Why is it? - if you rent a house from the council, they don't come and
redecorate every time you fancy a colour change...if he's rented the house
with fixtures and fittings, it's up to him to pay for the upkeep of those
fittings, he can't smash all the doors (a regular occurence in the rented
sector) and ring the landlord to come out and replace them, unless he wan't
evicting sharpish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:42:12 -0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
wrote:

Try not to make this too complicated...

The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

The door consist of two plastic parts forming the inside and
the outside of the door, with the glass and the fixings squashed
in between. Alignment on the hinge relys upon these two parts
being fixed together tightly. A replacement door is only available
as a full set of parts costing over 100 quid! (with delivery)

It fell off, because two of the pillars that the screws fit into
have broken off and it is no longer secure.

So, does anyone have any ideas how I form something that the
screws can screw into, to hold the door together properly again?
I don't think that glueing the pillars back on with super glue is
going to be strong enough, but perhaps it is?

I doubt it will be - washing machine doors take a lot of punishment.
Any chance of drilling through one or both of the plastic covers and
using a neat bolt? Something with a round head wouldn't be too
intrusive, a small coach-bolt perhaps.

In the meantime, keep your eye open at your local tip - if you spot a
machine with the same door it'll probably cost you no more than a
fiver.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim(yet another new home) wrote:
Try not to make this too complicated...

The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

Do you mean its a rented home or a rented machine? I have repaired stuff on
washing machines & installed new ones in lots of rented properties - are you
sure it's not down to the landlord?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-20 22:42:12 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

[...]

That depends on the agreement. Nobody suggested anything about
deliberate damage.

OTOH, perhaps he means that the washing machine's a rental one. If
that's the case, then the issue should be with the renting supplier,
assuming that it's fair wear and tear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"tim\(yet another new home\)" writes:
Try not to make this too complicated...

The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

The door consist of two plastic parts forming the inside and
the outside of the door, with the glass and the fixings squashed
in between. Alignment on the hinge relys upon these two parts
being fixed together tightly. A replacement door is only available
as a full set of parts costing over 100 quid! (with delivery)

Try CPC on 01772 654455.
A new door without the glass (transferred from original door)
for my Hotpoint was only £10.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You can TRY car body filler..it does sort of adhere to some
plastics..but really its a new door time.

Almost nothing adheres to plastics properly..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If the house is rented, its the landlords job to fix it. If the
machine's rented, its the rental co's job to fix it, and you'd be mad
to rent a washer or tv in anything other than exceptional circumstances
these days.

If you try and fix it, either of the above can then reuse to repair it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-20 22:42:12 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

[...]

It is if they don't claim that I was negligent in breaking
it.

It's down on th inventory as in good condition.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I can see that everyone's confused.

The flat is rented and the washing machine is supplied
by the landlord.

But the item is down in the inventory as undamaged.

In fac,t it says slight mildrew on inner seal so I can't
even claim that they didn't check.

So, my fiver says that the landlord will say that I broke
it and send me the bill.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
tim(yet another new home) wrote:
The flat is rented and the washing machine is supplied
by the landlord.
But the item is down in the inventory as undamaged.
In fac,t it says slight mildrew on inner seal so I can't
even claim that they didn't check.
So, my fiver says that the landlord will say that I broke
it and send me the bill.

At which point you will counterclaim that the landlord installed an
appliance which was not in a safe condition and could have lead to
severe injury if the door had opened during a hot wash.

Quite right. Don't assume the position of victim automatically. The best
form of defense is attack as Wellington said.

Berate the landlord about his putting your family at risk etc.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-21 18:42:52 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

Surely it's the landlord's issue to get it fixed?

It is if they don't claim that I was negligent in breaking
it.

It's down on th inventory as in good condition.

tim

Fine, but unless you did something like sitting on it or otherwise
demonstrably breaking it, this is fair wear and tear.

I can appreciate that this is all well intentioned and you are trying
to be a good tenant etc.; however, there's a fair chance tht you will
make the situation worse and the attempted repair will come back and
haunt you.

I think that it would be far better to simply tell the landlord that
the thing has broken and ask for his agreement to a repair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-21 18:48:21 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

I can see that everyone's confused.

The flat is rented and the washing machine is supplied
by the landlord.

But the item is down in the inventory as undamaged.

In fac,t it says slight mildrew on inner seal so I can't
even claim that they didn't check.

So, my fiver says that the landlord will say that I broke
it and send me the bill.

tim

I think that you are being unecessarily negative and assuming an
adversarial position before yo have tested his reaction. You don't
need to do that.

Simply tell his that the thing has failed and ask him to arrange repair.

If he then makes accusations that you broke it, then is the time to be
adversarial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Try not to make this too complicated...

The door fell of my washing machine and I need to fix it. It's a
rental, so chucking it and buying a new one is not an option.
(and it's the fitted type as well).

The door consist of two plastic parts forming the inside and
the outside of the door, with the glass and the fixings squashed
in between. Alignment on the hinge relys upon these two parts
being fixed together tightly. A replacement door is only available
as a full set of parts costing over 100 quid! (with delivery)

It fell off, because two of the pillars that the screws fit into
have broken off and it is no longer secure.

So, does anyone have any ideas how I form something that the
screws can screw into, to hold the door together properly again?
I don't think that glueing the pillars back on with super glue is
going to be strong enough, but perhaps it is?

JB Weld to form supports for the threads and a polyurethane adhesive
like Sikaflex 221 or 291 to bond metal to plastic.

For the lazy you can get both on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JB-WELD-STIK-W...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIKAFLEX-291-A...mZ320039460512
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-21 18:48:21 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

I can see that everyone's confused.

The flat is rented and the washing machine is supplied
by the landlord.

But the item is down in the inventory as undamaged.

In fac,t it says slight mildrew on inner seal so I can't
even claim that they didn't check.

So, my fiver says that the landlord will say that I broke
it and send me the bill.

tim

I think that you are being unecessarily negative and assuming an
adversarial position before yo have tested his reaction. You don't need
to do that.

The first thing is that agents have already proven themselves
to be a right PITA.

And secondly, it is absolutely clear that the item has been
broken due to misuse. So, as it is marked down on the
inventory as unbroken, that misuse will fall to me, even
though this wasn't the case.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim(yet another new home)" wrote in message

And secondly, it is absolutely clear that the item has been
broken due to misuse. So, as it is marked down on the
inventory as unbroken, that misuse will fall to me, even
though this wasn't the case.

So who did misuse it then?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
In the meantime, keep your eye open at your local tip - if you spot a
machine with the same door it'll probably cost you no more than a
fiver.

A practice forbidden at my local tip ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"tim(yet another new home)" wrote in message

And secondly, it is absolutely clear that the item has been
broken due to misuse. So, as it is marked down on the
inventory as unbroken, that misuse will fall to me, even
though this wasn't the case.

So who did misuse it then?

Obviously, one of the 9 previous tenants for which I am still
getting post.

One of the things that the agent has so far done wrong was
to deny that there were previous tenants. But all the
evidence suggests otherwise.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Adrian C contains these words:

In the meantime, keep your eye open at your local tip - if you spot a
machine with the same door it'll probably cost you no more than a
fiver.

A practice forbidden at my local tip ;-)

Mine too, formally. Informally if you're friendly and helpful formality
can be left behind.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-22 18:55:22 +0000, Guy King said:

The message
from Adrian C contains these words:

In the meantime, keep your eye open at your local tip - if you spot a
machine with the same door it'll probably cost you no more than a
fiver.

A practice forbidden at my local tip ;-)

Mine too, formally. Informally if you're friendly and helpful formality
can be left behind.

Don't they put down traps for weasels though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-22 18:30:01 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

"Clive George" wrote in message
"tim(yet another new home)" wrote in
message ...

And secondly, it is absolutely clear that the item has been
broken due to misuse. So, as it is marked down on the
inventory as unbroken, that misuse will fall to me, even
though this wasn't the case.

So who did misuse it then?

Obviously, one of the 9 previous tenants for which I am still
getting post.

One of the things that the agent has so far done wrong was
to deny that there were previous tenants. But all the
evidence suggests otherwise.

tim

OK.

Now the bigger picture helps and the dilemma is clear.

How long are you planning to stay there? That would determine
whether perhaps you want to make a bodge (which clearly you can deny as
long as it's not visually obvious); or whether you want to make a
proper repair, sourcing the correct spares and doing it properly. A
sticking job isn't going to be long lived. OTOH, if you are planning
to stay for a year or two, perhaps it's worth doing a proper job....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

A practice forbidden at my local tip ;-)

Mine too, formally. Informally if you're friendly and helpful formality
can be left behind.

Don't they put down traps for weasels though?

Only for wild ones. Us semi-domesticated sort get away with murder.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-22 18:30:01 +0000, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
said:

[...]

Therein is problem 1 I don't know, it depends upon the job.
I freelance, and my position is uncertain. I am unlikey to
get a different job in this locality if the current one ends.

Problem 2 is, I hate the idea of being ripped off by the company
that supplies the spares (this task has been subcontracted by
the manufacturer). Having to spend 100 quid on a bundle
of parts and throwing four-fifths away irks. I don't really hold
much hope in randomly finding the right part at the tip.

tim

Mixing plastic and metal js5895 Home Ownership 0 April 19th 06 10:16 PM
metal coated plastic RJ Metalworking 3 February 22nd 06 10:14 PM
Best glue for fixing plastic together David Hearn UK diy 14 September 14th 05 11:27 AM
Fixing plastic hooks to uPVC window frames Jay UK diy 1 March 22nd 04 10:40 PM
Fixing Plastic Trim To Wall/Bath Stuart UK diy 1 December 28th 03 03:01 PM