Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix lucky dip

Today amongst some builders metalwork and stainless screws I ordered, I
got a pack of plastic plumbing fittings I didn't order. Random
additions and (less so) deletions appear to be getting more common from
Screwfix. I'd say roughly 20-30% of my orders are "different" to what I
ordered through the website.

Now they are very good at patching up mistakes, after a single quick
phone call, and next day delivery seems to be working consistantly
again, after a wobbly phase when they had a major expansion.

Their unbranded tools are still very often utter junk though (I've sent
most of them back). Everyone else's experiences roughly the same?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from " contains these words:

Everyone else's experiences roughly the same?

Completely opposite. I've placed perhaps a couple of dozen orders with
them ranging from a few quid to a few hundred at a time and never had
anything extra, missing or incorrect. I did have two fused outlets in a
row damaged - their packaging is almost as bad as eBuyer's.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Today amongst some builders metalwork and stainless screws I ordered, I
got a pack of plastic plumbing fittings I didn't order. Random
additions and (less so) deletions appear to be getting more common from
Screwfix. I'd say roughly 20-30% of my orders are "different" to what I
ordered through the website.

Now they are very good at patching up mistakes, after a single quick
phone call, and next day delivery seems to be working consistantly
again, after a wobbly phase when they had a major expansion.

Their unbranded tools are still very often utter junk though (I've sent
most of them back). Everyone else's experiences roughly the same?

I haven't had any wrong orders from them, well not any recent one I recall.
Problems years ago were sorted without fuss.

The only recent issue was one order detail doesn't show up in my order
history and an email to customer service got me a print out sent in the
post.

As to the unbranded tools, I used to buy them 6-7 years ago and they were
good value. Then the prices went up and the quality went down. Many of them
are "BlackSpur" type branded tools, often acceptable for purpose but about
three times the price of the local discount QD type stores. Lidl/Aldi seems
to have the best value price/quality ratio cheap tools these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Since they sold out to Kingfisher (??) they have seem to have gine down
hill, everytime I go to order something they no longer seem to carry it !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 04:06:05 -0800, wrote:

Today amongst some builders metalwork and stainless screws I ordered, I
got a pack of plastic plumbing fittings I didn't order. Random
additions and (less so) deletions appear to be getting more common from
Screwfix. I'd say roughly 20-30% of my orders are "different" to what I
ordered through the website.

Now they are very good at patching up mistakes, after a single quick
phone call, and next day delivery seems to be working consistantly
again, after a wobbly phase when they had a major expansion.

Their unbranded tools are still very often utter junk though (I've sent
most of them back). Everyone else's experiences roughly the same?

I am significant customer of S/fix (they call me a "key account holder"
and are extra nice to me if I complain). Since I make on average two
orders a week I am in a position to know whether there are any changes.

A few years ago the most common fault (may be 1 in 20) orders was getting
someone elses stuff (and they presumable getting yours?). That has not
happened at all in the last couple of hundred orders.

Recently for the first time in a long time they made a mistake by not
including all of an item. I've never known them miss out an item in it's
entirety, perhaps I've been lucky but I do make a hundred orders a year.

Sometimes (a couple of times a year) they misunderstand their "pack size"
and "quantity" this is in your favour and sometimes not.

They almost ceased to function when they first moved the warehouse from
Yeovil but after a few weeks they were back to normal.

An irritation that I find is that they don't tell you when they _remove_
stuff from their catalogue. e.g.
1) Fuses wire.
2) Both square and round flue terminal guards.

Sometimes they replace the product with a better equivalent though.

If you buy the £20 quid cordless driver it is not the same as £350 Makita.
You get what you pay for and specific larger items are almost always
available for less elsewhere.

Single radiators and 5 litre paint _will_ always arrived damaged unless
you are fortunate.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk

Mobile 'phone in Screwfix box Egremont UK diy 15 November 21st 05 11:09 PM
The Screwfix effect Rick UK diy 25 July 29th 05 09:00 AM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM