Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rads don't need balancing...

I've got 22 between boiler and upstairs and downstairs and upper and lower
circuits T'd off in 15. With such a system and my new combi it seems there
is little need to balance. I've turned the pump speed down to it's minimum
and most the rads are open full bore. I've just tweaked a little for one
double rad that was a little reluctant. I will check the temp drops soon
but they are all good and hot. In fact something not mentioned elsewhere
that I've seen is that restriction unless really needed with a system that
has no problem getting the water round just seems to result in a bloody
whistling racket. I've not put the TVR's back on yet. No doubt I'll get a
bloddy whistling racket back then anyway :-(

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:
I've got 22 between boiler and upstairs and downstairs and upper and lower
circuits T'd off in 15. With such a system and my new combi it seems there
is little need to balance....

Comments? I was a little suprised.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
visionset wrote:
I've got 22 between boiler and upstairs and downstairs and upper and lower
circuits T'd off in 15. With such a system and my new combi it seems there
is little need to balance....

Comments? I was a little suprised.

--
Mike W

I'd be interested to hear some too - my system (12 radiators (11 TRV'd)
on a combi-powered sealed system) is currently unbalanced. Or, perhaps
more accurately, all the lockshields are fully open.

Every radiator works well and heats up at the same rate... so would I
still benefit from 'proper' balancing? Perhaps my feed/turn temperature
differential is potentially 'sub-optimal'?

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 06:43:23 -0800, Mathew Newton wrote:

VisionSet wrote:
visionset wrote:
I've got 22 between boiler and upstairs and downstairs and upper and lower
circuits T'd off in 15. With such a system and my new combi it seems there
is little need to balance....

Comments? I was a little suprised.

--
Mike W

I'd be interested to hear some too - my system (12 radiators (11 TRV'd)
on a combi-powered sealed system) is currently unbalanced. Or, perhaps
more accurately, all the lockshields are fully open.

Every radiator works well and heats up at the same rate... so would I
still benefit from 'proper' balancing? Perhaps my feed/turn temperature
differential is potentially 'sub-optimal'?

Mathew

The purpose of TRVs is mainly to prevent certain areas becoming
over-heated. They have the fringe benefit that, eventually, provided the
system is adequately powered, the system will be balanced even if it
wasn't beforehand.

Ideally the system should be balanced initially with the valves off (or
set to max).

Many combi models simply have a standard 3-speed pump motor set to max.
The better models and more recent models tend to have the pump speed
adjusted by the boiler's controls. This means that as the required output
power falls the pump power can be reduced. The effect is to greatly reduce
whistling. Different models seem to be more or less prone to whistling and
amazingly the market leader is, IME, one of the worst.

Setting a lower pump speed on many combis will simply reduce the HW
production rate.

Removing all the TRVs is against the spirit of the building regs if not
the letter.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

The purpose of TRVs is mainly to prevent certain areas becoming
over-heated. They have the fringe benefit that, eventually, provided the
system is adequately powered, the system will be balanced even if it
wasn't beforehand.

Ideally the system should be balanced initially with the valves off (or
set to max).

Yes that was the intention hence the reason the TRV's are removed at
present.

Many combi models simply have a standard 3-speed pump motor set to max.
The better models and more recent models tend to have the pump speed
adjusted by the boiler's controls. This means that as the required output
power falls the pump power can be reduced. The effect is to greatly reduce
whistling. Different models seem to be more or less prone to whistling and
amazingly the market leader is, IME, one of the worst.

Mine is the probably the one of your 'IME' a Vaillant (ecotecplus 837) since
I know you
tend to fit these.
I'd not read that anywhere in the archives.

Setting a lower pump speed on many combis will simply reduce the HW
production rate.

I've set the speed through option d19 to speed 1 for the heating. So you
think I should put it back to
the default speed 2?

Removing all the TRVs is against the spirit of the building regs if not
the letter.

Like I said it's only while I'm assessing the current situation.

So what I've said rings true then?

HTH

Thanks Ed!

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 10:59:47 +0000, visionset wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

[...]

Sorry I think the Pump on the latest Vaillant is varied.
I meant to say different models of TRV and the Market leader is Dr*yt*n
isn't it.

Setting a lower pump speed on many combis will simply reduce the HW
production rate.

I've set the speed through option d19 to speed 1 for the heating. So you
think I should put it back to
the default speed 2?

Removing all the TRVs is against the spirit of the building regs if not
the letter.

Like I said it's only while I'm assessing the current situation.

So what I've said rings true then?

HTH

Thanks Ed!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

I meant to say different models of TRV and the Market leader is Dr*yt*n
isn't it.

I found a Pegler ones that Screwfix sell whistle if on the return side -
even though in theory they work both ways.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I meant to say different models of TRV and the Market leader is
Dr*yt*n isn't it.

I found a Pegler ones that Screwfix sell whistle if on the return side -
even though in theory they work both ways.

My limited experience says only to buy the decent and therefore expensive
ones. Shed types fail after about 5 years.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I found a Pegler ones that Screwfix sell whistle if on the return side -
even though in theory they work both ways.

My limited experience says only to buy the decent and therefore expensive
ones. Shed types fail after about 5 years.

I thought the Peggler ones were decent. This was what I was considering as
a replacement for my cheapo ones.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
visionset wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I found a Pegler ones that Screwfix sell whistle if on the return
side - even though in theory they work both ways.

My limited experience says only to buy the decent and therefore
expensive ones. Shed types fail after about 5 years.

I thought the Peggler ones were decent. This was what I was considering
as a replacement for my cheapo ones.

Could be. It's just that most things sold by Screwfix tend to be bargain
basement type stuff.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I found a Pegler ones that Screwfix sell whistle if on the return side -
even though in theory they work both ways.

My limited experience says only to buy the decent and therefore expensive
ones. Shed types fail after about 5 years.

I thought the Peggler ones were decent. This was what I was considering as
a replacement for my cheapo ones.

I think they are decent in the sense that they work well, and according
to some who have had them for a long time, seem to last. Just make sure
you get them on the flow side.

(other than the whistle, they worked ok on the return side)

--
Cheers,

John.

Water only, some rads piping hot [email protected] UK diy 7 July 25th 06 04:58 PM
balancing rads - flow rate - banging boiler/pipes newbie UK diy 3 February 2nd 06 03:39 PM
cold rads rob UK diy 6 February 1st 06 01:34 PM
balancing rads - return hotter than feed? new to diy UK diy 18 January 28th 06 11:42 PM
Balancing nigelb UK diy 2 November 21st 05 10:34 PM