Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring built-in microwave

I am planning to renovate the kitchen. Currently there is a tall
housing containing a single oven. I am planning to replace it with a
housing containing a single oven and a microwave (just a plain
microwave, not a combination one). The existing single oven is supplied
from a cooker supply point, which also powers the hob.

To avoid running an extra cable from the cooker supply point to the
oven housing to supply the microwave, is it permissible in principle to
wire the existing supply cable into the terminals of the single oven,
and then wire the supply lead of the microwave into those terminals
too?

I will consult an electrician anyway, but am curious if the above
scheme is allowed, assuming the existing supply cable is of the
required size to supply both appliances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am planning to renovate the kitchen. Currently there is a tall
housing containing a single oven. I am planning to replace it with a
housing containing a single oven and a microwave (just a plain
microwave, not a combination one). The existing single oven is supplied
from a cooker supply point, which also powers the hob.

To avoid running an extra cable from the cooker supply point to the
oven housing to supply the microwave, is it permissible in principle to
wire the existing supply cable into the terminals of the single oven,
and then wire the supply lead of the microwave into those terminals
too?

The microwave (or, more accurately, the lead to the microwave) will not be
protected by a fuse or MCB of the proper rating if you do that. You could,
however, run the existing cable to a cooker outlet point inside the housing
and run a fused spur off that to feed the microwave.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct 2006 15:13:39 -0800 someone who may be
" wrote this:-

To avoid running an extra cable from the cooker supply point to the
oven housing to supply the microwave, is it permissible in principle to
wire the existing supply cable into the terminals of the single oven,
and then wire the supply lead of the microwave into those terminals
too?

No.

However, it is permissible to wire a second cable, of the same
diameter, into the oven terminals (assuming they are large enough)
which leads to a fused connection unit, into which the microwave
oven is wired. The connection unit should be accessible in case
someone needs to change the fuse and a switch would be useful.

While going through the aggravation have you considered a double
oven, as well as the microwave, or a fancy microwave that can also
be used as a conventional oven?

I will consult an electrician anyway, but am curious if the above
scheme is allowed, assuming the existing supply cable is of the
required size to supply both appliances.

As has been said, the important thing is to protect the cable
feeding the microwave. Cooker circuits generally have a 30 - 45A
protective device and that means a fair amount of let through energy
before it operates.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

To avoid running an extra cable from the cooker supply point to the
oven housing to supply the microwave, is it permissible in principle to
wire the existing supply cable into the terminals of the single oven,
and then wire the supply lead of the microwave into those terminals
too?

No.

However, it is permissible to wire a second cable, of the same
diameter, into the oven terminals (assuming they are large enough)
which leads to a fused connection unit, into which the microwave
oven is wired. The connection unit should be accessible in case
someone needs to change the fuse and a switch would be useful.

While going through the aggravation have you considered a double
oven, as well as the microwave, or a fancy microwave that can also
be used as a conventional oven?

If there is available either a full size single oven that also has
microwave capability, or a double oven where one of the ovens has
microwave capability I would be really interested as that would
definitely make life easier wiring-wise. I saw some combo single ovens
which have conventional and microwave capability, but they are too
small for our needs compared to conventional single ovens

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice on this thread

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Correcting my previous post, I came across a full-size single oven from
Smeg that does has microwave capability. I've just been to a dealer
that supplies Smeg and various other makes to ask about it. He was very
honest -his exact words were "Smeg aren't very reliable, in fact we
call their products expensive crap". And it was expensive, around
£1400 list price...