Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RFID Chips

Not sure if this is on topic here, but I can't seem to find any groups with
RFID in the name!

Does anyone know the requirements for reading the RFID chips installed in
animals?

We have two cats with said "PetLog" chips installed
(http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/meet/petlog.html)

I have this item
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130038696905

But it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small
(The chips, not the cats!)?

Any suggestions!?

Ta :-)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 01:52:32 +0100, Sparks wrote:

Not sure if this is on topic here, but I can't seem to find any groups with
RFID in the name!

Does anyone know the requirements for reading the RFID chips installed in
animals?

We have two cats with said "PetLog" chips installed
(http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/meet/petlog.html)

I have this item
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130038696905

But it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small
(The chips, not the cats!)?

Any suggestions!?

Ta :-)

Sparks...

=================================
Try 'googling' for 'pet chip scanner' where you'll find several references.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 01:52:32 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

Not sure if this is on topic here, but I can't seem to find any groups with
RFID in the name!

Does anyone know the requirements for reading the RFID chips installed in
animals?

We have two cats with said "PetLog" chips installed
(http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/meet/petlog.html)

I have this item
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130038696905

But it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small
(The chips, not the cats!)?

Any suggestions!?

Ta :-)

Sparks...

There are a number of different formats, and 2 different frequencies used for these. There are
standards for pet tags, and ISTR they are different from the more commonly used tags for probably
historical rather than technical reasons.
There is a second issue that the small size of the pet tag's antenna means that the reader needs to
produce a fairly powerful field to read them, and a door-lock type reader may not put out enough
power to activate the tag at the required distance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have this itemhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130038696905

But it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small
(The chips, not the cats!)?

There are multiple protocols and frequencies. Try asking Mannings
http://www.rfidshop.com/

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There are multiple protocols and frequencies. Try asking Mannings
http://www.rfidshop.com/

Are there really lots of incompatible RFID protocols?
Seems sad.

Also, I thought Tesco said they were going over to RFID on their products?
Maybe I misunderstood, but I haven't seen any.
If there were, could I read my e-passport (which I don't have yet)
with the same reader as a tin of baked beans?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote in message
Not sure if this is on topic here, but I can't seem to find any groups
with RFID in the name!

Does anyone know the requirements for reading the RFID chips installed in
animals?

We have two cats with said "PetLog" chips installed
(http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/meet/petlog.html)

I have this item
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130038696905

But it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small
(The chips, not the cats!)?

Apparently, cats are particularly difficult to read anyway. The chips can
migrate around under their skin, so the first task is finding where the chip
actually is.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 01:52:32 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

Not sure if this is on topic here, but I can't seem to find any groups with
RFID in the name!

Your door reader operates at 125kHz but the pet chip may be a 132.5kHz device
according to:-
"Europe uses International Standards Organisation (ISO) regulation chips, which
operate at a frequency of 132.5 kHz (also known as FDX-B chips), while the US
uses an older style, 125 kHz chip (known as FDX-A). "

quote comes from this article:-
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1710249,00.html

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are there really lots of incompatible RFID protocols?
Seems sad.

You think thats sad ?, you should look at barcodes!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:58:58 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

Apparently, cats are particularly difficult

Indeed so.

the first task is finding where the chip
actually is.

Wrong, the first task is to find where the cat actually is.
Schrödinger had a small Tabby cat and understood cat location
difficulties as few have since. Where the cat appears to be, and
where it actually is, are often some distance apart. Add to that the
difficulty of locating the cat in the temporal plane and you have a
conundrum an RFID reader is far to primitive to solve.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/