Posted to sci.electronics.repair
russ lavergne

Default Custom Midway chips

I have some arcade boards made by the bankrupt Bally/Midway company. There
are a number of custom chips that say MIDWAY on them. I am wondering if
these were completely made from the ground up specificly for these games or
if they are somewhat generic chips with the Midway printed on them. I would
think it would be easier to just buy someone elses chips but maybe someone
could shed some light on the process that goes into building these boards.
I know some of it is because of security but that is what the PAL chips are
for? Do they make their own chips so people won't be able to copy the whole
boards? because they don't have those MIDWAY chips? I don't think to many
people copy the whole boards, do they? I am hoping they are somewhat
generic so I can track down some place that has the same chip under a
different name.
Thanks for the thoughts

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
simon hanlon

I also have some!! I think some are common chips as in z80's with the
numbers scratched off and some are unique to the game. Which chips are you
looking for?
"russ lavergne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Steve Lewinsky

Midway did use alot of CUSTOM chips. For example GALAGA, it uses about 8
CUSTOMS which are marked with 4 digit #s eg... 05xx, 60xx... These are not
crossed over. They are true customs.
There is a guy that has bee reverse engineering the custom chips and has a
few for sale on his web site. Somewhere around $25 each.
There are the smaller BiPolar PROMS. These are just standard programmed
BiProms. The only problem is that those PROM types are no longer
manufactured.
Some guys do have some old stock though.

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

try contacting Rick Schieve who does a lot of video game repair at:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Try the Arcade game newsgroup.. There is all sorts of people who know how to
fix arcade boards there.

rec.games.video.arcade.collecting

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

russ lavergne wrote:
[...]

They're custom designed chips, you can get replacements here
http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#HSS

I don't know offhand if these are used pulls, or new replicas using
FPGA's but both are available.

Chips in the Finish rich Woodworking 4 September 27th 05 01:12 AM
OT - burning logs versus wood chips stone Metalworking 23 September 21st 05 02:46 AM
Free Custom Walkthrough Checklists for New Homes! customwalkthroughchecklists.com Home Ownership 3 July 27th 04 04:39 PM
Custom shower construction sk Home Repair 6 February 5th 04 06:15 PM
Need information for chips FA4111 and M52722P mun Electronics Repair 1 July 27th 03 08:34 PM