Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

Default Spreading wood chips in garden concern

We had two large dead trees cut down and a lot of trees trimmed last
week and then ground down into wood chips. Our intention was to
gradually spread the chips around our large garden areas. The tree
cutters left the huge pile of wood chips in an area at the base of three
trees. Yesterday our neighbors, who are really into gardening, informed
us that we had to move the chip pile away from the base of the three
trees quickly, that they would die from suffocation otherwise. Is this
true? If so, how long do we have to move them? Also must we be careful
not to spread the chips too close to our garden plants? Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Yesterday our neighbors, who are really into gardening, informed
us that we had to move the chip pile away from the base of the three
trees quickly, that they would die from suffocation otherwise. Is this
true? If so, how long do we have to move them?

It is true that you must move the chips. Most trees can be damaged if
the original soil level at the base is not maintained. It would not
be necessary to remove every single chip. Just remove enough so that
the original soil level at the base of the tree is exposed. A small
amount, less than an inch, can remain but my no means should they be
piled against the base of the tree. I do not know exactly how long it
would take to damage the tree, probably some time. Why not at least
move them away from the base of the tree right away? that is what I
would do.

Also must we be careful
not to spread the chips too close to our garden plants? Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

It is not a good idea to mix fresh wood chips into your garden soil.
Wood chips require a nitrogen source to aid in their decomposition. In
order to decompose the chips will rob the surrounding soil (and garden)
of nitrogen. Chips are very nice in your garden paths where you walk
and will decompose nicely there and can be gradually mixed in to your
garden as they decompose. You can hasten the decomp of the chips by
making a compost pile with them. Mix with grass clippings or another
high nitrogen source (manure). they will turn into valuable compost in
a year or two and can be added to your yard or garden at will.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

tenplay wrote:
We had two large dead trees cut down and a lot of trees trimmed last
week and then ground down into wood chips. Our intention was to
gradually spread the chips around our large garden areas. The tree
cutters left the huge pile of wood chips in an area at the base of
three trees. Yesterday our neighbors, who are really into gardening,
informed us that we had to move the chip pile away from the base of
the three trees quickly, that they would die from suffocation
otherwise. Is this true? If so, how long do we have to move them? Also
must we be careful not to spread the chips too close to our
garden plants? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

A thin layer would be OK, but as they noted you don't want to have so
much that the effectually change the ground level or constitute enough
matter that they will reduce the available nitrogen in the soil for the
tree. I suggest you may want to allow them to compost for a year or two
while you mix in a lot of nitrogen rich material like fresh cut grass or
some grass type high nitrogen fertilizer in. You can sheet compost if you
have the area.

Good Luck.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:09:17 -0700, tenplay wrote:

We had two large dead trees cut down and a lot of trees trimmed last
week and then ground down into wood chips. Our intention was to
gradually spread the chips around our large garden areas. The tree
cutters left the huge pile of wood chips in an area at the base of three
trees. Yesterday our neighbors, who are really into gardening, informed
us that we had to move the chip pile away from the base of the three
trees quickly, that they would die from suffocation otherwise. Is this
true? If so, how long do we have to move them? Also must we be careful
not to spread the chips too close to our garden plants? Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

It is true that the tree root area should not be covered or buried in
such a way to prevent air from getting to the surface area. It is
bad to pile anything next to the trunk of a tree as this can promote
disease. How long a tree can stand abuse depends on the condition of
the tree, the kind of tree, the tree's age, the area of the pile, etc.
A layer of mulch is beneficial to trees, although not more than a 4"
layer. Keep in mind that wood chips, as they decay (compost), will
quickly deplete the area of nitrogen. You can make an excellent
compost pile by mixing the chips with an equal amount of grass
clippings--your compost will be ready to use in 2-3 months. The
decaying wood chips will use the nitrogen from the green grass
clippings.
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Up to 90% of tree roots are near the surface, If you covered maybe half
the trees root zone or canopy width maybe 12" thick it could kill it,
but a pile of chips? If its maybe 10% of root zone that you are moving
soon and not at the base don`t worry. I think compressing roots also
kills them, doing it at the base could kill the area that spreads out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

tenplay wrote:
We had two large dead trees cut down and a lot of trees trimmed last
week and then ground down into wood chips. Our intention was to
gradually spread the chips around our large garden areas. The tree
cutters left the huge pile of wood chips in an area at the base of three
trees. Yesterday our neighbors, who are really into gardening, informed
us that we had to move the chip pile away from the base of the three
trees quickly, that they would die from suffocation otherwise. Is this
true? If so, how long do we have to move them? Also must we be careful
not to spread the chips too close to our garden plants? Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Thanks for all the advice. So it sounds like I should move the pile of
wood chips off the base of the trees. I already spread a layer of chips
in some of my flower beds making sure to leave a little breathing space
around each plant. Is it ok to leave it there or will the chips harm
the plants (i.e. must I remove the chip layer)?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

I already spread a layer of chips
in some of my flower beds making sure to leave a little breathing space
around each plant. Is it ok to leave it there or will the chips harm
the plants (i.e. must I remove the chip layer)?

are your flowers annuals or perennials?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

tenplay wrote:
tenplay wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. So it sounds like I should move the pile
of wood chips off the base of the trees. I already spread a layer of
chips in some of my flower beds making sure to leave a little
breathing space around each plant. Is it ok to leave it there or
will the chips harm the plants (i.e. must I remove the chip layer)?

Same possible problem if a reduction in nitrogen.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

Lawrence wrote:
I already spread a layer of chips
in some of my flower beds making sure to leave a little breathing space
around each plant. Is it ok to leave it there or will the chips harm
the plants (i.e. must I remove the chip layer)?

are your flowers annuals or perennials?

A mixture of both annuals and perennials as well as flowers and bushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. So it sounds like I should move the pile of
wood chips off the base of the trees. I already spread a layer of chips
in some of my flower beds making sure to leave a little breathing space
around each plant. Is it ok to leave it there or will the chips harm
the plants (i.e. must I remove the chip layer)?

(Oops, hit the wrong button)

A thin layer of chips are ok and will act as mulch. However, after a
few months I would sprinkle them with some slow acting fertilizer to
replace any loss due to decomposition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
We had two large dead trees cut down and a lot of trees trimmed last
week and then ground down into wood chips. Our intention was to
gradually spread the chips around our large garden areas. The tree
cutters left the huge pile of wood chips in an area at the base of three
trees. Yesterday our neighbors, who are really into gardening, informed
us that we had to move the chip pile away from the base of the three
trees quickly, that they would die from suffocation otherwise. Is this
true? If so, how long do we have to move them? Also must we be careful
not to spread the chips too close to our garden plants? Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Not suffocation, but you need to back the chips off from the trunks a
few inches, just so they don't spread rot as they decay. Shouldn't be a
problem for garden plants, but trying to cultivate the bed next year
can be a problem, as the chips will still largely be intact and it's
like digging rocks into the soil. Just leaving them on a perennial bed
until they decompose works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

tenplay wrote:
tenplay wrote:
[...]

I don't believe you ever mentioned what kind of
wood (trees) the chips are. Some woods have
substances that can inhibit the growth of other
plants but that is generally not of much concern.

You should be aware that chips lying on top of the
ground will have no effect on the fertility
(nitrogen level) of the soil. It is only when the
chips are mixed with the soil or sink into the
soil over time that nitrates/nitrites will be
depleted.

A thin layer (1" or so) of chips from most native
North American trees will have not adverse effect
on your plants. After a year or so, you should
add nitrogen fertilizer to help the soil as the
wood decomposes.

of