Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default En-suite bathroom

I will be installing an en-suite bathroom from scratch sometime in the next
4 weeks.

I have already successfully installed a new downstairs cloakroom wc and
replaced an old bathroom suite, so I have a good understanding of most of
the work to come,

We have a new combi boiler (which I also installed myself some 12 mths ago),
which means I'll be installing a thermostatic mixer shower, wc and basin.

There is also a soil pipe directly outside the location, so no problems
there.

The question/s a

are there any "obscure" building regs regarding ensuites. I will be
notifying building control, but it would be nice to know beforehand what
special measures, if any, I need to take beforehand.

Obvious ones which spring to mind, are electrics to be checked by Part P
person, suitably powerful extractor fan, equipotential bonding, correct
type of waste connections to existing soil pipe. I will be using standard
63x36mm stud, which will run on top of an existing joist, the stud will
contain fireproof Rockwool insulation, and I'll be covering in 2 layers of
plasterboard, then skimming either side. Anything else I should be thinking
about, is the stuff about the stud work correct?

TIA

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
jon wrote:
The question/s a
are there any "obscure" building regs regarding ensuites. I will be
notifying building control, but it would be nice to know beforehand
what special measures, if any, I need to take beforehand.
Obvious ones which spring to mind, are electrics to be checked by Part
P person,

No, because new electrics will be covered by your building regs
application. The council will check them for themselves if they want to
(and at their expense).

They *should* check at their expense, but are highly likely to hit you
with an extra fee for electrical checks: allegedly they will cave on
this if challenged?!

david
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:

Obvious ones which spring to mind, are electrics to be checked by Part P
person, suitably powerful extractor fan, equipotential bonding, correct
type of waste connections to existing soil pipe. I will be using standard
63x36mm stud, which will run on top of an existing joist, the stud will
contain fireproof Rockwool insulation, and I'll be covering in 2 layers of
plasterboard, then skimming either side. Anything else I should be thinking
about, is the stuff about the stud work correct?

They may want ot see sums to prove the joist carrying the stud wall is
up to it. The two layers of PB on the wall are not actually required by
building regs AIUI (although as Owain said deireable for other reasons!)
since there are no special fire regs that apply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
jon wrote:

Obvious ones which spring to mind, are electrics to be checked by Part P
person, suitably powerful extractor fan, equipotential bonding, correct
type of waste connections to existing soil pipe. I will be using standard
63x36mm stud, which will run on top of an existing joist, the stud will
contain fireproof Rockwool insulation, and I'll be covering in 2 layers
of plasterboard, then skimming either side. Anything else I should be
thinking about, is the stuff about the stud work correct?

They may want ot see sums to prove the joist carrying the stud wall is up
to it. The two layers of PB on the wall are not actually required by
building regs AIUI (although as Owain said deireable for other reasons!)
since there are no special fire regs that apply.

The wall will only be 6 foot long, the first 3 foot will be on 1 joist, then
a 90degrees join onto the next joist and then another 3 foot run.A bit like
this: ____¦------

So we are talking very light loads.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ST ST is offline

jon wrote:
[...]

10mm gap under door to en-suite to allow airflow (else it will be
sucking air out and not replacing it at an adequate rate). This was
picked up on a recent project of ours (that and a run-on extractor).
The BC guy also wanted a roddable toilet pipe (roddable from inside and
outside!) which was a royal pain to fit!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

"ST" wrote in message
ups.com...
jon wrote:
[...]

Thanks ST, would never have thought about the 10mm gap under the door. Do
you know whether you have to have a door ,as there's going to be a sort of
anti-room sperating the en-suite from the bedroom, so therefore we don't
really need a door.

Also where did you get the roddable toilet pipe? It may be wise to install
one, just incase the mother-in-law stays.

Jon