Posted to uk.d-i-y
ST ST is offline

Default En-suite bathroom

jon wrote:
I will be installing an en-suite bathroom from scratch sometime in the next
4 weeks.

I have already successfully installed a new downstairs cloakroom wc and
replaced an old bathroom suite, so I have a good understanding of most of
the work to come,

We have a new combi boiler (which I also installed myself some 12 mths ago),
which means I'll be installing a thermostatic mixer shower, wc and basin.

There is also a soil pipe directly outside the location, so no problems
there.

The question/s a

are there any "obscure" building regs regarding ensuites. I will be
notifying building control, but it would be nice to know beforehand what
special measures, if any, I need to take beforehand.

Obvious ones which spring to mind, are electrics to be checked by Part P
person, suitably powerful extractor fan, equipotential bonding, correct
type of waste connections to existing soil pipe. I will be using standard
63x36mm stud, which will run on top of an existing joist, the stud will
contain fireproof Rockwool insulation, and I'll be covering in 2 layers of
plasterboard, then skimming either side. Anything else I should be thinking
about, is the stuff about the stud work correct?

10mm gap under door to en-suite to allow airflow (else it will be
sucking air out and not replacing it at an adequate rate). This was
picked up on a recent project of ours (that and a run-on extractor).
The BC guy also wanted a roddable toilet pipe (roddable from inside and
outside!) which was a royal pain to fit!!!