Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a bathroom suite

Hi,

I am considering replacing my old bathroom suite (1970s I guess) with
something that is not brown (a straight swap). I've not done much
plumbing, but I am pretty handy at DIY (have fitted my own kitchen etc.).

Is this overambitious?

What sort of connectors do folks recommend to use? In my mind the type
that fix with solder seem less likely to leak, but maybe flexible
connectors are easier to work with?

Thanks,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John McDowall wrote:

I am considering replacing my old bathroom suite (1970s I guess) with
something that is not brown (a straight swap). I've not done much
plumbing, but I am pretty handy at DIY (have fitted my own kitchen etc.).

Is this overambitious?

I'm sure if you can plumb in a kitchen sink, you can do a bathroom -
principle's the same.

What sort of connectors do folks recommend to use? In my mind the type
that fix with solder seem less likely to leak, but maybe flexible
connectors are easier to work with?

Flexible connectors are really specifically for the last few inches of
pipework, to connect your bath/sink taps to the pipework. They are
certainly really good; much easier than having to fit rigid pipework in
exactly the right position. AFAIK the only time when they are perhaps
not advisable is if you are really strugglking for water pressure (as
they have a narrower bore than solid pipe.

I'm assuming you don't have much other pipework to do, if it's a
straight swap? If you do, the options also include using plastic
pushfit pipes, which are dead easy.

Google this newsgroup for loads more info on all of this.

David