Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timeswitch for low energy lamps

I'm wanting to fit a timeswitch to my external lights. I have 2,
operated from the same switch. One has a 20 watt low energy lamp, the
other a 7 watt. The lower wattage one has to be lower wattage as it'll
light up next doors living room if it's any brighter!

Trouble is, the only time switches I can find either don't work with
low energy lamps, or a Timeguard unit which has a minimum load of 20
watt PER BULB (I have checked this with their tech dept).

Does anyone know of any more capable timeswitches as I really don't
want to ditch the low energy lamps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trouble is, the only time switches I can find either don't work with
low energy lamps, or a Timeguard unit which has a minimum load of 20
watt PER BULB (I have checked this with their tech dept).

You need one with a proper built in switch that takes a neutral (usually to
drive a relay, or occassionally an electronic switch). The ones that don't
support CFLs are ones which rely on the incandescent bulb passing through
enough current to drive the electronics in order to not need a neutral
(which is often not available at the switch location).

Immersion timers would work.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...red/index.html

You might find something smaller, cheaper and electronic if you look hard
enough. However, they will only work if you do have a neutral, which may
require rewiring.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
You might find something smaller, cheaper and electronic if you look hard
enough. However, they will only work if you do have a neutral, which may
require rewiring.

Thanks. As it happens, this is a new build extension. When I remove the
switch, there is in fact a blue wire in there, but not concected to
anything. Can I assume this is neutral? Does this therefore open up
the possibilities of what I can use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks. As it happens, this is a new build extension. When I remove the
switch, there is in fact a blue wire in there, but not concected to
anything. Can I assume this is neutral? Does this therefore open up
the possibilities of what I can use?

You can never assume anything with electrical installations. However, you
can be optimistic. You'll need to test that wire to see if it is indeed a
suitable neutral.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm wanting to fit a timeswitch to my external lights.

Pretty much any mechanical timer will do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Andy Dingley wrote:
I'm wanting to fit a timeswitch to my external lights.

Pretty much any mechanical timer will do.

Trouble is most are downright ugly if on show as they might have to be if
incorporating an override switch, etc.

My solution was one of the switch replacement types with an added relay.
Fitted ok into a 35mm deep box, but of course you need a neutral.

--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could anyone be so kind as to hae a look at this item from Screwfix:

I've seen it in B&Q to. There's no reference on the packet to any
limitations as regards wattage etc.

Think it'll do the trick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
Could anyone be so kind as to hae a look at this item from Screwfix:

I've seen it in B&Q to. There's no reference on the packet to any
limitations as regards wattage etc.

Think it'll do the trick?

Since it's battery operated, very likely. It's the ones which get their
'neutral' via the load that are the problem.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Since it's battery operated, very likely. It's the ones which get their
'neutral' via the load that are the problem.

Cheers. I'll drop in at Screwfix on the way home (£8 cheaper than B&Q)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Could anyone be so kind as to hae a look at this item from Screwfix:

I've seen it in B&Q to. There's no reference on the packet to any
limitations as regards wattage etc.

Think it'll do the trick?

They work fine with CFL's. Battery lasts years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Hughes wrote:

They work fine with CFL's. Battery lasts years.

Bought and installed it last night. Nice little unit, once I'd mastered
which buttons to press. Highly recommended.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

BTW, a 20W low energy lamp is quite bright for an outdoor lamp.
Do make sure it doesn't disturb neighbours or dazzle highway users.

I agree, which is why I was so intent on using the lowest wattage bulb
possible, and consequently so limited a choice of switches.

If only some of my neighbours were quite so considerate. It's like
Blackpool illuminations round our places these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct 2006 17:39:35 GMT someone who may be
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

You might want to consider a photocell rather than a timeswitch.
Depends what you want to use the lights for. You can get ones
which fit in the light fitting. I added one of these to a light:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=SRPCM1000/70L

which only required drilling a hole on the top.

Alternatively just use a lamp with a built in photocell, provided
that the fitting allows it to "see" the outside light levels
properly
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro...asp?ProdID=115

Photocell luminaires can also be controlled by a time clock. So
that, for example, they will be enabled between 06:00 and 09:00 and
16:00 and 23:30. This avoids having to adjust a time clock
throughout the year and only provides light when wanted.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alternatively just use a lamp with a built in photocell, provided
that the fitting allows it to "see" the outside light levels
properly
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro...asp?ProdID=115

I've tried some of these types in the past and always had the problem
of them "flashing off" briefly every 20 or so seconds.

Tried them in different positions both inside and out.

Seems the light from the bulb is trying to turn itself off !

A pity they would be very useful otherwise

Robert
Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:55:51 +0100 someone who may be
lid wrote this:-

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro...asp?ProdID=115

I've tried some of these types in the past and always had the problem
of them "flashing off" briefly every 20 or so seconds.

Tried them in different positions both inside and out.

Seems the light from the bulb is trying to turn itself off !

Something may well be reflecting the light back onto the sensor.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pro...asp?ProdID=115

I've tried some of these types in the past and always had the problem
of them "flashing off" briefly every 20 or so seconds.

Tried them in different positions both inside and out.

Seems the light from the bulb is trying to turn itself off !

Something may well be reflecting the light back onto the sensor.

Very likely , but almost impossible to avoid when used in any type of
external enclosure or even in internal porch.

Is this common or have I just been unlucky ?
Robert

Energy saving lamps Trevor Smith UK diy 4 October 12th 06 11:05 PM
Low energy lamps Frank Erskine UK diy 41 September 6th 06 11:21 PM
Steel Beams for work shop komobu Home Repair 7 August 21st 06 11:59 AM
Central Heating Bypass on Fully TRV'd SYstem (Incl Honeywell CM37z Zone System) t UK diy 10 April 3rd 06 06:53 PM
'Low Energy' lamps tick Mark Carver UK diy 4 June 30th 05 05:44 PM