Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle Christian McArdle is offline

Default Timeswitch for low energy lamps

Trouble is, the only time switches I can find either don't work with
low energy lamps, or a Timeguard unit which has a minimum load of 20
watt PER BULB (I have checked this with their tech dept).

You need one with a proper built in switch that takes a neutral (usually to
drive a relay, or occassionally an electronic switch). The ones that don't
support CFLs are ones which rely on the incandescent bulb passing through
enough current to drive the electronics in order to not need a neutral
(which is often not available at the switch location).

Immersion timers would work.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...red/index.html

You might find something smaller, cheaper and electronic if you look hard
enough. However, they will only work if you do have a neutral, which may
require rewiring.

Christian.