Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Hot Works" Permit?!!

I'm renewing a buildings insurance policy on a house which is currently
vacant while I'm doing it up, and the insurers have come back to me
with a great long questionnaire asking me all sorts of stuff, including
the question: "Are there 'Hot Works' going on at the property, and if
so, has a Hot Works Permit been issued?"

Well... never having heard the phrase before, I googled for "Hot Works"
and found that in fact it wasn't the title of a dodgy porno movie, but
rather, it included plumbing work with a blowlamp, amonst other things.
I therefore truthfully answered "yes", and since I'm d-i-y'ing on my
own property, added "no permit required" .

But - just had the broker on the phone in a tizz about said permit,
saying I need to have one and that she's going to refer to her manager
about it. Meanwhile, before she phone's back, can anyone tell me what
'Hot Works permits' are all about and, whether I need one, and where I
get one from?!!

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.co.uk/f6ev

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Oct 2006 08:43:20 -0700 someone who may be "Lobster"
wrote this:-

But - just had the broker on the phone in a tizz about said permit,
saying I need to have one and that she's going to refer to her manager
about it. Meanwhile, before she phone's back, can anyone tell me what
'Hot Works permits' are all about and, whether I need one, and where I
get one from?!!

I suspect that you would need one if you were doing hot works inside
an enclosed space that is normally full of a flammable liquid or
gas, in an industrial situation. The permit would be to record that
the vessel had been purged of the substance and the atmosphere was
not explosive (having been tested by a suitable meter).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

I think it means the bloke in charge of the building work?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Oct 2006 08:43:20 -0700, "Lobster"
wrote:

[...]

Is this a domestic household policy?

If so, which idiot company is this so it can be avoided.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Well... never having heard the phrase before, I googled for "Hot
Works" and found that in fact it wasn't the title of a dodgy porno
movie, but rather, it included plumbing work with a blowlamp, amonst
other things. I therefore truthfully answered "yes", and since I'm
d-i-y'ing on my own property, added "no permit required" .

It's pretty much anything that requires heat. On airport sites you need a
hot works permit to use a soldering iron of the type you would use to solder
a small electrical connection.

ahem Either that or you go hide out in the car park and do it ahem

It was explained to us that it's mainly to do with the airport temporarily
disabling the smoke heads where you are working to avoid false alarms and
subsequent evacuations. Don't know how true that is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"shaun" wrote in message
SNIP

It was explained to us that it's mainly to do with the airport temporarily
disabling the smoke heads where you are working to avoid false alarms and
subsequent evacuations. Don't know how true that is.

Its true.

The same rules apply in virtually any telephone exchange equipment rule,
where they usually have sensitive fire/smoke detection systems.
In this context "hot work" also includes any form of cutting or grinding
which
generates heat and/or dust.

/john

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"shaun" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

Well... never having heard the phrase before, I googled for "Hot
Works" and found that in fact it wasn't the title of a dodgy porno
movie, but rather, it included plumbing work with a blowlamp, amonst
other things. I therefore truthfully answered "yes", and since I'm
d-i-y'ing on my own property, added "no permit required" .

It's pretty much anything that requires heat. On airport sites you need a
hot works permit to use a soldering iron of the type you would use to
solder
a small electrical connection.

ahem Either that or you go hide out in the car park and do it ahem

It was explained to us that it's mainly to do with the airport temporarily
disabling the smoke heads where you are working to avoid false alarms and
subsequent evacuations. Don't know how true that is.

Actually, its because when you have hundreds or maybe thousands of people
depending on your own individual version of 'risk assessment' the insurance
companies would prefer to know that the assessor is 'risk averse' rather
than a 'self certified ****wit'