Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2x2.5mm t+e in 25mm oval

Hi,

Last wiring question I think! In the kitchen in a couple of places I've
run 2x2.5mm t+e down some 25mm oval conduit and it's a little tight
(i.e. doesn't slide about freely in the conduit).

This is only in a couple of short pieces of ~30cm to get the cable from
the sockets down below worktop height ready for me to plaster over.

Having read some old posts people have said these needs to be a bit of
extra space round the cabling for expansion so would I be better off
not using it? It was the biggest they had in the shop. I'm going tile
over the whole area so I don't want the cabling to expand and pop
tiles/grout off etc. - don't know how realistic that is!

Thanks,

Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Atkinson" wrote in message

Having read some old posts people have said these needs to be a bit of
extra space round the cabling for expansion so would I be better off
not using it? It was the biggest they had in the shop. I'm going tile
over the whole area so I don't want the cabling to expand and pop
tiles/grout off etc. - don't know how realistic that is!

No it isn't going to cause any problem. If cable expansion was sufficient
to cause those kind of effects it would be worse without the conduit. I
never use conduit and have never had any problems.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Ian Atkinson wrote:
Last wiring question I think! In the kitchen in a couple of places I've
run 2x2.5mm t+e down some 25mm oval conduit and it's a little tight
(i.e. doesn't slide about freely in the conduit).

This is only in a couple of short pieces of ~30cm to get the cable from
the sockets down below worktop height ready for me to plaster over.

There's no need to use conduit if the cables run vertically down from a
socket - you can simply plaster over them.

Having read some old posts people have said these needs to be a bit of
extra space round the cabling for expansion so would I be better off
not using it? It was the biggest they had in the shop. I'm going tile
over the whole area so I don't want the cabling to expand and pop
tiles/grout off etc. - don't know how realistic that is!

If you've chased into existing good plaster and are going to tile over
there's often no need to even make good the chase.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Ian Atkinson wrote:
[...]

Cool, thanks for your help all,

Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

If you've chased into existing good plaster and are going to tile over
there's often no need to even make good the chase.

Except you reduce impact resistance and have that quality hollow sound when
you or the next purchaser rap there knuckles across the tiles.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
VisionSet wrote:
If you've chased into existing good plaster and are going to tile over
there's often no need to even make good the chase.

Except you reduce impact resistance and have that quality hollow sound
when you or the next purchaser rap there knuckles across the tiles.

I don't do jobs at home with a view of selling. ;-) Not making good round
backing boxes etc when tiling allows you to move them slightly to get that
perfect alignment between tile runs. Which to me is more important.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Atkinson wrote:

Hi,

Last wiring question I think! In the kitchen in a couple of places I've
run 2x2.5mm t+e down some 25mm oval conduit and it's a little tight
(i.e. doesn't slide about freely in the conduit).

This is only in a couple of short pieces of ~30cm to get the cable from
the sockets down below worktop height ready for me to plaster over.

Having read some old posts people have said these needs to be a bit of
extra space round the cabling for expansion so would I be better off
not using it? It was the biggest they had in the shop. I'm going tile
over the whole area so I don't want the cabling to expand and pop
tiles/grout off etc. - don't know how realistic that is!

The main argumenta against conduit is that it is a pain to get whole
cables through (single wires are much simpler!), and it eats into your
temperature budget a little. 30cm however is unlikely to cause any
problems with either of these - so no need to worry.

--
Cheers,

John.

Making a bokken (how do I make stuff with oval crossections)? quixote Woodworking 7 March 14th 06 01:00 AM
Oval conduit metal box + Q's.. T i m UK diy 23 January 21st 06 01:31 AM
oval mirrors Ted Woodworking 0 January 15th 06 07:41 PM
Is there such a thing as a perfect oval? Dave Hinz Woodworking 7 October 13th 05 02:15 AM
What's a good technique for removing oval head nails from floorboards? The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 4 October 3rd 05 05:35 PM