Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Alarm battery

Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

TIA

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:15:46 UTC, F wrote:

Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

http://www.cpc.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F writes:
Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

I've bought a number from CPC, but I didn't search far and wide
for cheaper ones (have seen them a lot more expensive elsewhere
though).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

I got mine from a B&Q Warehouse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F wrote:
Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
F wrote:
Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

Yes. It costs less to buy one of those car starters with built
in 24Ah battery, tyre compressor or 240V inverter, and charger,
than it does to buy a 24Ah SLA battery alone.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

Yes. It costs less to buy one of those car starters with built
in 24Ah battery, tyre compressor or 240V inverter, and charger,
than it does to buy a 24Ah SLA battery alone.

I have one of those bought from Lidl for under 20 quid and didn't expect
much of it, but some two years on and having started quite a few cars as
well as being used for blowing up tyres and as a convenient source of high
current 12 volt DC for testing some car electrics, it's still fine, and
has proved an invaluable device. Perhaps there isn't the same spread of
quality between SLA batteries as with Ni-Cad, etc, or it could be the
chargers are rather better designed.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
Cain writes

"F" wrote in message
Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

I got mine from a B&Q Warehouse.

CPC usually

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

Yes. It costs less to buy one of those car starters with built
in 24Ah battery, tyre compressor or 240V inverter, and charger,
than it does to buy a 24Ah SLA battery alone.

I have one of those bought from Lidl for under 20 quid and didn't expect
much of it, but some two years on and having started quite a few cars as
well as being used for blowing up tyres and as a convenient source of high
current 12 volt DC for testing some car electrics, it's still fine, and
has proved an invaluable device. Perhaps there isn't the same spread of
quality between SLA batteries as with Ni-Cad, etc, or it could be the
chargers are rather better designed.

I bought one of these from Lidl and topped up charged for about 6 months
then had a real life need to use it!

I clipped it on to the battery and ..... Click.... went the starter
solenoid and that's all !
The battery meter was showing full charge volts as it had always done, but
was unable to
turn the engine at all - and this was a motorcycle engine !
I got the leads out and jumped it from the car.... still haven't taken
apart to see what
the problem is, but I don't think its lead / contact resistance....

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:56:59 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

But be aware that those BFO lamps might be 6v rather than 12v that alarms
commonly use. Last SLA batteries I got for the UPS came from CPC,
previous set came from Bristol Batteries.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 23/09/2006 19:33 raden wrote:

In message , Roger
Cain writes

I got mine from a B&Q Warehouse.

CPC usually

I've got a voucher for B&Q so I'll give the local branch a visit.
Failing that it'll be CPC.

Thanks for the help.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

Beware, the batteries that come with those zillion candelpower torches
in the DIY sheds are utter rubbish.

Dunno how much candlepower, but my 55 watt Homebase special works ok.
Can't say it's had a hammering, though. But the battery seems to keep its
charge.

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge writes:
Beware, the batteries that come with those zillion candelpower torches
in the DIY sheds are utter rubbish.

I suspect it's the chargers that are rubbish.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2006-09-24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Huge writes:
Beware, the batteries that come with those zillion candelpower torches
in the DIY sheds are utter rubbish.

I suspect it's the chargers that are rubbish.

Could be. Leaving one plugged in permanently certainly killed
the battery in a couple of weeks.

Never a good idea if you're not sure about the charger. Applies to power
tools also.

A new battery was about 4 times the price of a replacement torch, which
made me suspicious.

Often the case. Who knows these days what things should cost? However, the
SLA battery in my el cheapo jump start pack has done well - and the
charger switches off when the battery is charged.

I'd be reluctant to put one in an alarm, that's for sure.

I suppose it depends on the alarm. Some panels are extremely competitive
in price so if including a battery the same might be said about it.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2006-09-23, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
F wrote:
Anyone aware of a source of sealed lead-acid burglar alarm batteries at
sensible prices?

If you want a one off, a special offer powerful torch which uses an SLA
can often be cheaper than any replacement. Makes no sense, but these
things rarely do.

Beware, the batteries that come with those zillion candelpower torches
in the DIY sheds are utter rubbish.

Was thinking the same - I'd won't something better quality backing up
the alarm than the ****e in those torches. Anyway, as mentioned, the
torches are mostly 6V.

A nice Yuasa or Genesis is want you want for reliable backup.

--
steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steven Briggs wrote:
Beware, the batteries that come with those zillion candelpower torches
in the DIY sheds are utter rubbish.

Was thinking the same - I'd won't something better quality backing up
the alarm than the ****e in those torches. Anyway, as mentioned, the
torches are mostly 6V.

If you look further down the tread, it may have been the charger that
knackered the battery.

A nice Yuasa or Genesis is want you want for reliable backup.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Steven Briggs wrote:
Beware, the batteries that come with those zillion candelpower torches
in the DIY sheds are utter rubbish.

Was thinking the same - I'd won't something better quality backing up
the alarm than the ****e in those torches. Anyway, as mentioned, the
torches are mostly 6V.

If you look further down the tread, it may have been the charger that
knackered the battery.

I did see that. Crap unregulated chargers don't help matters certainly.
But I was given one of these torches, its only _ever_ been charged on a
regulated 3-stage SLA charger (not the POS charger it came with), hasn't
been used much anyway, and still only gives about 8-9 minutes before the
first cell in the battery dies.
4Ah battery into 25W bulb (i.e. ~4A load) should give about 30 minutes.
(For those smart-arses about to say 4A from 4AH should last 60 minutes -
go look at some battery discharge curves).

--
steve