Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vax for cleaning rough slate floor?

Hi, had a new rough rustic slate floor laid, but its a bugger to mop if you
have 3 large dogs paddling over it!

I need something that will spray the floor with water, brush it to agitate
the dirt and suck the dirty water up. Can anyone suggest something
suitable?

Do those upright Vax machines work with hard floors?

Cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Hi, had a new rough rustic slate floor laid, but its a bugger to mop
if you have 3 large dogs paddling over it!

I need something that will spray the floor with water, brush it to
agitate the dirt and suck the dirty water up. Can anyone suggest
something suitable?

There are such machines, like the Numatic 'George'
http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id=28

IME the best results are from mopping the floor & using the wet vac to pick
up the water.

Do those upright Vax machines work with hard floors?

I dont think they work properly on carpets!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Hi, had a new rough rustic slate floor laid, but its a bugger to mop
if you have 3 large dogs paddling over it!

I need something that will spray the floor with water, brush it to
agitate the dirt and suck the dirty water up. Can anyone suggest
something suitable?

There are such machines, like the Numatic 'George'
http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id=28

No. Those don't have the rotating scrubbing brushes.

I wish I knew where to get one...because I have this same problem....

Ah..here we are

http://www.hgscleaningsupplies.co.uk...bCategoryID=20

Available online at £850 elsewhere..

IME the best results are from mopping the floor & using the wet vac to pick
up the water.

Mopping? MOPPING?

I tip a bucket of soapy on it and go over every inch with a scrubbing brush

Do those upright Vax machines work with hard floors?

I dont think they work properly on carpets!

No. They don't.

They WILL take MOST of the wet off after the scrubby bit though, but
they are heavier to lug around than a squeegee mop.

Hint: Best squeegee mops are from boat chandlers used for swabbing decks.

In short, pay through the nose for the real McCoy, or buy a scrubbing
brush and a squeegee mop.

In between is no bloody use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

There are such machines, like the Numatic 'George'
http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id=28

No. Those don't have the rotating scrubbing brushes.

I wish I knew where to get one...because I have this same problem....

Ah..here we are

http://www.hgscleaningsupplies.co.uk...bCategoryID=20

Available online at £850 elsewhere..

That isn't the right tool for the job. Its a self contained carpet
extractor with a 'kit' for hard floors. Same thing as an electric drill
with a 'circular saw attachement' as we used to have. More trouble than
they are worth.

What you really need is one of these
http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id=94 a combination scrubber/dryer.
But since you dont have the £900 + VAT you need a compromise.

Which would be a rotary floor machine
http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id=97 and a wet vac. Similar in
price when you buy both.

Mopping? MOPPING?

Yup MOPPING. A much underated technique. A good Kentucky mop with a decent
wringer bucket is a wonderful thing.

I tip a bucket of soapy on it and go over every inch with a scrubbing
brush

The George will spray cleaning solution onto the floor, the head has a brush
strip so you can scrub manually, and you can then remove the loosened
soiling with the vac.

Soiling on hard floors needs cleaning solution/agitation/removal. George can
do that with a bit of graft for £150.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-03 23:26:08 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Yup MOPPING. A much underated technique. A good Kentucky mop with a
decent wringer bucket is a wonderful thing.

Is that the kind that school caretakers used to have? Is it
mandatory to use Jeyes with it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:52:24 +0100, R.P.McMurphy wrote:

I need something that will spray the floor with water, brush it to
agitate the dirt and suck the dirty water up. Can anyone suggest
something suitable?

Is it a PITA to mop beacuse it's so rough that bits of mop get ripped
off? If not it's a slate floor FFS, get a mop bucket and a proper mop.
Slosh water onto floor, rub with mop, squeeze the mop in the mop bucket,
repeat from the rub with mop point. Depending on how muddy the floor is
another slosh with clean water might be required as a rinse.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-03 23:26:08 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Yup MOPPING. A much underated technique. A good Kentucky mop with a
decent wringer bucket is a wonderful thing.

Is that the kind that school caretakers used to have? Is it
mandatory to use Jeyes with it?

Nah! School caretakers know jack **** about cleaning floors. Dolly mops
were the problem. Maggie introduced compulsory competitive tendering to
destroy the old system of school caretakers and/or hospital domestic
managers. The free market introduced the contract cleaner.

The contract cleaner still knew jack **** about cleaning floors. They just
knew how to earn a profit whilst not knowing and still used dolly mops.

A decent wringer bucket
http://www.contico.org.uk/phpdatabase4.php?value5=717 with a Kentucy mop
http://www.contico.org.uk/phpdatabase4.php?value5=128 will clean just about
any floor superbly given the correct technique.

Jeyes Fluid has its place, but it isn't for cleaning floors.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

http://www.contico.org.uk/phpdatabase4.php?value5=128 will clean just about
any floor superbly given the correct technique.

Who's that bloke looking pensive supposed to be? Apart from looking a
complete wazzock, that is.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

It must be tough, being phoned by the modelling agency and told they've
got a day's work. Levis? Old Spice? Calvin Klein? Grattan Catalogue ...
Kentucky mop.

I'm sure one of the Muppets would have suited the part better.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:52:24 +0100, R.P.McMurphy wrote:

I need something that will spray the floor with water, brush it to
agitate the dirt and suck the dirty water up. Can anyone suggest
something suitable?

Is it a PITA to mop beacuse it's so rough that bits of mop get ripped
off? If not it's a slate floor FFS, get a mop bucket and a proper mop.
Slosh water onto floor, rub with mop, squeeze the mop in the mop bucket,
repeat from the rub with mop point. Depending on how muddy the floor is
another slosh with clean water might be required as a rinse.

Yes it is slate and it is rough and heavily textured. Somat like this..

http://www.indigenoustiles.com/slate-grey.asp

A mop doesn't clean it very well...FFS...hence the question.

Steve