seniorgeezer

Default Laying Laminate wood floor over rough surface brick

I have a den with a brick floor. The brick does not present a smooth
planar surface. It is a little bit like cobblestone.

I want to put down 8mm engineered wood laminate with tongue and grove
interconnection.

Can I lay the wood laminate on top of the brick with its somewhat
irregular surface? Or must I remove the brick, and lay a subfloor
before putting down the wood flooring?

Another way might be to "float" a coat of concrete/mortor over the
brick? I am looking for any ideas on the subject.

Thanks,

Bob

ameijers

"seniorgeezer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a den with a brick floor. The brick does not present a smooth
planar surface. It is a little bit like cobblestone.

I want to put down 8mm engineered wood laminate with tongue and grove
interconnection.

Can I lay the wood laminate on top of the brick with its somewhat
irregular surface? Or must I remove the brick, and lay a subfloor
before putting down the wood flooring?

Another way might be to "float" a coat of concrete/mortor over the
brick? I am looking for any ideas on the subject.

I gotta ask- how did you end up with a brick floor in a den? Is this a
converted porch, or an abandoned summer kitchen, or something? In any
post-1920 house, an interior brick floor is unlikely to be real full-size
brick, but rather sliced brick tiles, that could be removed like a slate
floor. If the space was originally non-heated like a porch or something, it
could be dirt under the brick, which might make any wood floor directly over
it prone to warping.

Permanently covering a unique feature like that might hurt you at resale.
Have you considered a floating floor, say plywood on carved sleepers? If you
can live with a higher floor, that might be the least work, be reversible if
the next owner wants brick look, and would also allow some possibility of
adding wiring as part of project, if needed. (never saw an office that
didn't need more outlets for power and data.)

aem sends....