Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Threaded metal tube for lamp holders - whats it called?

Some lampholders have threaded bases to accept threaded tubing.
What thread is this? From memory I think there may be 2 different kinds.
I am trying to convert 2 big old porcelain vases into lamps.
The vases are each about 650mm tall and contain suitable drillings.
Any ideas please on (a) what it's called and (b) where can I get the stuff.

Many thanks

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:39:09 +0100, "Nick"
wrote:

Some lampholders have threaded bases to accept threaded tubing.
What thread is this? From memory I think there may be 2 different kinds.
I am trying to convert 2 big old porcelain vases into lamps.
The vases are each about 650mm tall and contain suitable drillings.
Any ideas please on (a) what it's called and (b) where can I get the stuff.

B&Q do this kind of stuff - I can't remember what the threaded tube is
called, but you'll find it.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are, indeed two sizes of bush (for that is what it is called).
half inch and three eights inch. Any decent electrical supplier will
sell you either size of bush and a reducer to enable you to fit an half
inch lampholder onto a three eights bush

wrote:

Some lampholders have threaded bases to accept threaded tubing.
What thread is this? From memory I think there may be 2 different kinds.
I am trying to convert 2 big old porcelain vases into lamps.
The vases are each about 650mm tall and contain suitable drillings.
Any ideas please on (a) what it's called and (b) where can I get the stuff.

B&Q do this kind of stuff - I can't remember what the threaded tube is
called, but you'll find it.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
Some lampholders have threaded bases to accept threaded tubing.
What thread is this? From memory I think there may be 2 different kinds.
I am trying to convert 2 big old porcelain vases into lamps.
The vases are each about 650mm tall and contain suitable drillings.
Any ideas please on (a) what it's called and (b) where can I get the stuff.

Many thanks

Nick.

Vague memories (from making table lamps in woodwork lessons in the late
70's) of something called a 'Brass Pottery Nipple'.

HTH

Richard

Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling noise, arcing. half_pint Electronics Repair 27 August 2nd 04 04:33 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Shotgun part manufacture - magazine extension tube Jim Stewart Metalworking 16 January 24th 04 06:40 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM