Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterton EP2002 Programmer - Intermittent fault

Hi all

I have a Potterton EP2002 Programmer, for controlling my central
heating system, which has suddenly started to behave erratically. By
that, I mean that it sometimes works continuously for perhaps tweleve
hours and then stop working and the LCD goes blank. Other times, it
runs for a few minutes and then stops before running again for another
few minutes.

I'm buy no means an expert, but could anyone please reassure me that if
I ordered a replacement programmer and attached it to the existing back
plate, it would resolve the problem ?

I'm just guessing that it might be a capacitor or something within the
programmer that has failed.

There have been a lot of thunderstorms in my area lately and I just
wondered if that might be a contributory factor.

Could it be something else such as the rechargable battery that needs
replacing or even the backplate itself that is not providing a good
connection ?

I'd be very greatful if someone could please give me some advice on
this one.

Best regards
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
I have a Potterton EP2002 Programmer, for controlling my central
heating system, which has suddenly started to behave erratically. By
that, I mean that it sometimes works continuously for perhaps tweleve
hours and then stop working and the LCD goes blank. Other times, it
runs for a few minutes and then stops before running again for another
few minutes.

To try and identify the problem, does the clock still keep time when the
display goes blank?

I'm buy no means an expert, but could anyone please reassure me that if
I ordered a replacement programmer and attached it to the existing back
plate, it would resolve the problem ?

Almost certainly.

I'm just guessing that it might be a capacitor or something within the
programmer that has failed.

There have been a lot of thunderstorms in my area lately and I just
wondered if that might be a contributory factor.

Could it be something else such as the rechargable battery that needs
replacing or even the backplate itself that is not providing a good
connection ?

The device will still work normally if the battery fails - except during a
power cut.

It would certainly be worth isolating the circuit, removing the programmer
and checking the security of the wiring to terminals, and that it's
getting a constant power supply - although the battery should keep it
going if this was the fault, and of course it wouldn't operate the
heating.

But my guess would be a dry solder joint on the device PCB. It should be
possible to fix this - if you're into electronics. But not economical to
pay someone to do it.

If you do have to replace it you might consider doing so with the 6002
which has 7 day programming. Think it's the same price.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Potterton Suprima 60 fault Paul UK diy 20 July 19th 05 02:02 AM
Potterton EP 2001 Programmer Andy01 UK diy 4 February 22nd 05 11:34 PM
Potterton Prima F 40 fault Mani UK diy 4 February 22nd 05 12:30 PM
Potterton EP2002 Controller Graeme UK diy 1 January 4th 05 09:45 PM
Potterton Surima LED fault codes Jerry. UK diy 3 April 24th 04 04:14 PM