Mani

Default Potterton Prima F 40 fault

hello,

I hope someone might be able to help with an intermittent problem we
have with our 7 year old Potterton Prima F 40 boiler.

Every once in a while, whilst running it makes a continual clicking
noise for approx 3-5 seconds which causes some vibration (is it one of
the solenoids failing?). As I said it's intermittent and sometimes it
can occur for a second then go away.

I've had an engineer look at it but it does'nt repeat the fault
whilst he's there! He changed the main burner soleniod because it also,
occasionally, lights the pilot light but does'nt fire up the main
burner.

Any theories as to what the engineer could change would be gratfully
received - new PCB perhaps? I'm also concerned it might be dangerous.
kind regards,

Mani

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:40:25 -0800, Mani wrote:

hello,

I hope someone might be able to help with an intermittent problem we
have with our 7 year old Potterton Prima F 40 boiler.

Every once in a while, whilst running it makes a continual clicking
noise for approx 3-5 seconds which causes some vibration (is it one of
the solenoids failing?). As I said it's intermittent and sometimes it
can occur for a second then go away.

I've had an engineer look at it but it does'nt repeat the fault
whilst he's there! He changed the main burner soleniod because it also,
occasionally, lights the pilot light but does'nt fire up the main
burner.

Any theories as to what the engineer could change would be gratfully
received - new PCB perhaps? I'm also concerned it might be dangerous.
kind regards,

I would hazard a guess that the micro switch in the air pressure switch is
iffy.
Normally there is a fair bit of hysteresis in the air pressure switch but
if the switch is bad it might be making bad contact this would make a
clicking noise on the main relay on the main control board.

raden

In message .com, Mani
writes
hello,

I hope someone might be able to help with an intermittent problem we
have with our 7 year old Potterton Prima F 40 boiler.

Every once in a while, whilst running it makes a continual clicking
noise for approx 3-5 seconds which causes some vibration (is it one of
the solenoids failing?). As I said it's intermittent and sometimes it
can occur for a second then go away.

I've had an engineer look at it but it does'nt repeat the fault
whilst he's there! He changed the main burner soleniod because it also,
occasionally, lights the pilot light but does'nt fire up the main
burner.

Any theories as to what the engineer could change would be gratfully
received - new PCB perhaps? I'm also concerned it might be dangerous.
kind regards,

Is your HT lead shorting to the case ?

--
geoff
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

It's also a known fault with the pcb, but he should check the HT lead
first
--
geoff
Mani

hello All,

thanks for the replys. It turned out to be a dry joint on the PCB.
Luckily the fault appeared whilst the engineer was present. Resolder
the offending joint and bingo - no more clicking & vibration.

thanks.