Junior Member

Default Dedicated Tv Channel And Website

Dear All

Would be extremely interested in getting your views on what you would like to see on a dedicated TV show and website for Strictly DIY?

What are the current home improvement shows and sites missing/lacking
How could you improve on content?
What would you like to see more of if you could have your say?

Your views are important to me as I have the task of pulling this all together and producing it.

feel free to email me your thoughts

Cheers!
Nik Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your views are important to me as I have the task of pulling this all
together and producing it.

feel free to email me your thoughts

Cheers!
Nik Adam

How about providing a company name etc, especially as from a hotmail
address you could be harvesting email addresses for spam. We don't know
who you are!!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about providing a company name etc, especially as from a hotmail
address you could be harvesting email addresses for spam. We don't know
who you are!!

Dave

some sort of Google Groups wanabee.
Why?
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BESTDIY writes:

Dear All

Would be extremely interested in getting your views on what you would
like to see on a dedicated TV show and website for Strictly DIY?

It would be good to see some DIY-successes. There have been
lots of projects done by members in this usenet newsgroup in
the past which I would be interested to see through the
construction phases. Any such program need not exclude
good professionals working too -- a mix could be good.

What are the current home improvement shows and sites missing/lacking

Anything educational, rather than sensational entertainment.
Presenters with a genuine interest in the subject matter
rather than their own egos.
That probably doesn't fit very well with ratings wars though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BESTDIY wrote:
Dear All

Would be extremely interested in getting your views on what you would
like to see on a dedicated TV show and website for Strictly DIY?

Beeny's tits.

What are the current home improvement shows and sites missing/lacking

Content

How could you improve on content?

Put some in.

What would you like to see more of if you could have your say?

Beeny's tits, and seing the Blair Which? project*

Your views are important to me as I have the task of pulling this all
together and producing it.

Gicve up. DIY is a minority interest, and even Beeny's tits won't bring
in the numbers.

feel free to email me your thoughts

Cheers!
Nik Adam

* the one where Blair et al get compared to their claimn and roundly
outed as a bunch of ying scumbag shsyters that they really are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from BESTDIY contains these words:

What are the current home improvement shows and sites missing/lacking

Content. They're full of presenters and dippy women and sob stories but
rarely show you how to do anything.

This is not likely to improve because it's what British TV produces.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
BESTDIY writes:

snip

What are the current home improvement shows and sites

missing/lacking

Anything educational, rather than sensational entertainment.
Presenters with a genuine interest in the subject matter
rather than their own egos.
That probably doesn't fit very well with ratings wars though.

I don't know, the Discovery Real Time channel seems to be succeeding
with their USA / Canada imports, if only there was a UK equivalent -
and I don't mean that pratt Tommy Walsh or the 'boy racing' motoring
programmes (which seem think the only thing important is tyre smoke
and squealing brakes...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
snip

So stop being a lazy git and do some proper research then instead

of
expecting other people to do your work for you.

FFS, the OP was asking for peoples opinion, not to produce the ruddy
thing for him!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:02:26 +0100, BESTDIY wrote:

Would be extremely interested in getting your views on what you would
like to see on a dedicated TV show and website for Strictly DIY?

Real quality "How to..." not some splash some paint about make over crap.
From the basic "How to put up a shelf" to "How to plaster a ceiling" or
"How to fit a carpet". BTW the first isn't as straight forward as it
sounds, What is the shelf to be used for? What is the wall construction?

Your views are important to me as I have the task of pulling this all
together and producing it.

Good luck, but how are you going to fund it? You are actually going to
have to *make* the content 'cause there ain't none out there at the
moment, at least not UK based. Making half decent programmes ain't cheap
and to make a good "How to..." will require a deep understanding of the
task and good production planning. Just squirting a camcorder about
whilst someone does the job won't be good enough, you need explanation
from someone who knows the gotchas.

--
Dave Liquorice MIBS
Broadcast Sound Engineer pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Making half decent programmes ain't cheap
and to make a good "How to..." will require a deep understanding of the
task and good production planning. Just squirting a camcorder about
whilst someone does the job won't be good enough, you need explanation
from someone who knows the gotchas.

Oh, and don't make it look too easy. Much as I enjoy watching Norm
Abram, he does still make it look much easier than it is.

If you're expecting people to actually learn something, which is what
many would like to do, don't also try to make it into an entertainment
programme full of either a) glitzy ideas that go together like clockwork
and have long haired/cuffed "designers" floating about airily, or b) a
long catalogue of disasters.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Making half decent programmes ain't cheap
and to make a good "How to..." will require a deep understanding

of the
task and good production planning. Just squirting a camcorder

about
whilst someone does the job won't be good enough, you need

explanation
from someone who knows the gotchas.

Oh, and don't make it look too easy. Much as I enjoy watching Norm
Abram, he does still make it look much easier than it is.

But it is easy, to him, just like changing a car wheel is to you, how
would you make doing that look difficult when it is not (about the
only thing you could do is point out the pit falls)... The programme
I like, not for it's format or style, is 'Holms on Homes' - we see
what (so called professionals) people have f***ed up, how they did so
and more importantly what was required to correct it.

If you're expecting people to actually learn something, which is

what
many would like to do, don't also try to make it into an

entertainment
programme full of either a) glitzy ideas that go together like

clockwork
and have long haired/cuffed "designers" floating about airily, or

b) a
long catalogue of disasters.

Oh the old style over content trap, I fully agree!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message ews.net
from "Jerry" contains these words:

Oh the old style over content trap, I fully agree!

Trouble is, style is very cheap to make, wheras content costs a lot of money.

Try just listening to a telly programme some day - no picture, just the
sound. You'll soon realise how poorly used the medium is. Most of the
time you won't need to look up to see what's going on as the audio does
enough.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:02:26 +0100, BESTDIY wrote:

Dear All

Would be extremely interested in getting your views on what you would
like to see on a dedicated TV show and website for Strictly DIY?

How about a series on things an average DIYer could make/do in
a weekend for less than (say) 50 quid in materials, using _only_
stuff you can find in the average B&Q.

Pete
--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Lynch writes:
How about a series on things an average DIYer could make/do in
a weekend for less than (say) 50 quid in materials, using _only_
stuff you can find in the average B&Q.

And this week, you'll need 400 empty yogurt pots, 300 empty fairy
liquid bottle, and some stick-backed plastic, and we're going to
build a kitchen extension...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
snip
How about a series on things an average DIYer could make/do in
a weekend for less than (say) 50 quid in materials, using _only_
stuff you can find in the average B&Q.

They already do that, there are any number of make-over programmes
that tell you how to splash paint around and throw up some bits of
MDF with 'No-more-nails'....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:20:14 +0100, Jerry wrote:

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
snip
How about a series on things an average DIYer could make/do in
a weekend for less than (say) 50 quid in materials, using _only_
stuff you can find in the average B&Q.

They already do that, there are any number of make-over programmes
that tell you how to splash paint around and throw up some bits of
MDF with 'No-more-nails'....

No no no, let's make it more clear. Here are some suggestions:
- hang a door
- put up a fence panel (and maybe a post either side, too)
- change a tap
- fix your gutter
- drain/refill a CH system
- install a blind or curtain rail
- paint something, properly

I don't just mean a couple of minutes showing a load of high-priced
cordless power tools and a presenter saying how easy it is, using
perfectly straight/flat/square studio built sets.
Explain the preparation, list what's needed, show how to measure
up, get real people to do the work and demonstate how to rectify the
mistakes they make.
But most of all, without any inane (or even good) fill-in music.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
.. in a room with a tea cosy ...... Marlow, England .
.. doesn't try it on (Billy Connolly) .....................................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Peter Lynch contains these words:

But most of all, without any inane (or even good) fill-in music.

You know if they ditch the music you'll have to have a laughter track instead?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:20:14 +0100, Jerry wrote:

They already do that, there are any number of make-over programmes
that tell you how to splash paint around and throw up some bits of
MDF with 'No-more-nails'....

No they don't they just show people splashing paint about and hacking at
bits of MDF they don't go into *any* detail about How to... do it. Notice
how you rarely get any closeups and when you do the paint is going all
over the place.

Ordinary TV hides a whole host and a couple of multitudes of sins from
the viewer. It may look OK on screen but in real life I expect they all
look a right mess particulary if you do more than just glance around.
Anybody who has visited an studio and looked at the average set will
vouch for that, dirty finger marks, simple taped and painted joins
between flats, chips knocks and dents, none of which show on screen.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:20:14 +0100, Jerry wrote:

They already do that, there are any number of make-over

programmes
that tell you how to splash paint around and throw up some bits

of
MDF with 'No-more-nails'....

No they don't they just show people splashing paint about and

hacking at
bits of MDF they don't go into *any* detail about How to... do it.

Notice
how you rarely get any closeups and when you do the paint is going

all
over the place.

Agreed, I was trying to be a tad sarcastic - obviously not well
enough though...

Ordinary TV hides a whole host and a couple of multitudes of sins

from
the viewer. It may look OK on screen but in real life I expect they

all
look a right mess particulary if you do more than just glance

around.
Anybody who has visited an studio and looked at the average set

will
vouch for that, dirty finger marks, simple taped and painted joins
between flats, chips knocks and dents, none of which show on

screen.

Are you implying that those poor people who allow Miss Smiley and Co.
to take over their homes have to redecorate the re decorated rooms,
if so I'm very surprised the cat has not been let out before!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:47:47 +0100, Jerry wrote:

Are you implying that those poor people who allow Miss Smiley and Co.
to take over their homes have to redecorate the re decorated rooms,
if so I'm very surprised the cat has not been let out before!

Well I'd want the job done properly afterwards from the few times I've
seen such programmes. Electrical fittings not lifted away from the wall
so splashed or edges painted over. Similary along all other boundaries,
skirtings, door frames etc. It might not be too bad from the shows that
use "professionals" but the ones where neighbours do it...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Junior Member

Just want to say thank you to each and every one of you for your valued opinions. I can assure you I have not (as was suggested) been soliciting emails for spam! Those of you who were kind enough to post suggestions - i have to say thanks. If you have any more ideas of specific projects then let me know. For example Andrew you spoke of members projects that you would like to see broken down. If there is anything specific or indeed if any of you have a project that you would like to have featured let me know.

Once again, thanks to all
keep in touch
Nik Adam
Best Diy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
BESTDIY wrote:
Would be extremely interested in getting your views on what you would
like to see on a dedicated TV show and website for Strictly DIY?

This isn't something like Colin and Justin showing off who's got the
biggest tool is it?

What are the current home improvement shows and sites missing/lacking
How could you improve on content?
What would you like to see more of if you could have your say?
Your views are important to me as I have the task of pulling this all
together and producing it.

So stop being a lazy git and do some proper research then instead of
expecting other people to do your work for you.

Surely a big part of doing the research is finding out what the
potential audience wants??

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

So stop being a lazy git and do some proper research then instead of
expecting other people to do your work for you.

Surely a big part of doing the research is finding out what the
potential audience wants??

A presenter with a nice arse - female.
--

Dave