Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing wallpaper adhesive

Hi,

I have recently used a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the wallpaper
in my cloakroom. This worked fine to remove the paper, but it has left
a adhesive residue on the wall which I cannot see m to get off..

I have tried sanding, but this seemed to just sand off loads of
plaster, and I have also tried a B&Q wallpaper spray, but this did not
seem to touch it. You can scrape the adhesive off using a scraper, but
this could take me days, it is quite a rubbery consistency..

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? some cleaner or chemical I could
use to speed up the process..

Thanks,

Paul...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wordy wrote:
Hi,

I have recently used a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the wallpaper
in my cloakroom. This worked fine to remove the paper, but it has left
a adhesive residue on the wall which I cannot see m to get off..

I have tried sanding, but this seemed to just sand off loads of
plaster, and I have also tried a B&Q wallpaper spray, but this did not
seem to touch it. You can scrape the adhesive off using a scraper, but
this could take me days, it is quite a rubbery consistency..

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? some cleaner or chemical I could
use to speed up the process..

Thanks,

Paul...

Hot water, detergent, and a decorators' sponge has always worked for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Wordy wrote:

I have recently used a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the wallpaper
in my cloakroom. This worked fine to remove the paper, but it has left
a adhesive residue on the wall which I cannot see m to get off..

I have tried sanding, but this seemed to just sand off loads of
plaster, and I have also tried a B&Q wallpaper spray, but this did not
seem to touch it. You can scrape the adhesive off using a scraper, but
this could take me days, it is quite a rubbery consistency..

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? some cleaner or chemical I could
use to speed up the process..

Hot water, detergent, and a decorators' sponge has always worked for me.

Me too, but the description "rubbery consistency" suggests strongly that
this ain't conventional wallpaper paste.

OP - do you know what it is? What sort of wall covering was it holding
up? Cork tiles or something?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Wordy wrote:

[...]

It was just holding up standard "flowery" wallpaper. It definitely
comes off like a rubbery texture. It is a very thin layer on the
plaster, and I don't think I will be able to paint over it
effectively..

Paul...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wordy wrote:

Hi,

I have recently used a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the wallpaper
in my cloakroom. This worked fine to remove the paper, but it has left
a adhesive residue on the wall which I cannot see m to get off..

[snip]

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? some cleaner or chemical I could
use to speed up the process..

I had a similar problem a while ago after we moved in here. It looked as if
the previous owners had been _very_ generous in applying the paste. There
was a fairly thick jelly-like layer of paste left after stripping the
paper.

I asked Crown tech. support and got the following reply:

,----
| Thank you for your email enquiry. You can encounter problems when
| using an emulsion on walls which have previously been wallpapered,
| as you rightly say the residue paste can contaminate the surface. If
| you cannot remove all of the paste then I would suggest that you
| use and Alkali Resisting Primer on the wall surface as this will act as
| a barrier to the paste. You can buy this from a trade outlet or the
| International brand also make one which should be available from
| B&Q stores. Please ensure that the room is well ventilated during
| use and drying time.
`----

I tried to remove as much gunge as possible with sugar soap and nylon
scouring pads then applied the suggested primer. That was about 2 years ago
and there's been no problems since.

The warning about ventilation is well justified, that primer stinks
something terrible - and takes it forever to go away.

--
Mike Clarke