Posted to uk.d-i-y
Wordy Wordy is offline

Default Removing wallpaper adhesive

Lobster wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Wordy wrote:

I have recently used a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the wallpaper
in my cloakroom. This worked fine to remove the paper, but it has left
a adhesive residue on the wall which I cannot see m to get off..

I have tried sanding, but this seemed to just sand off loads of
plaster, and I have also tried a B&Q wallpaper spray, but this did not
seem to touch it. You can scrape the adhesive off using a scraper, but
this could take me days, it is quite a rubbery consistency..

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? some cleaner or chemical I could
use to speed up the process..

Hot water, detergent, and a decorators' sponge has always worked for me.

Me too, but the description "rubbery consistency" suggests strongly that
this ain't conventional wallpaper paste.

OP - do you know what it is? What sort of wall covering was it holding
up? Cork tiles or something?

David

It was just holding up standard "flowery" wallpaper. It definitely
comes off like a rubbery texture. It is a very thin layer on the
plaster, and I don't think I will be able to paint over it
effectively..

Paul...