Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing bad wallpaper vs. covering it up?

I've had my share of awful wallpaper, last house had 3 layers (one with
foil in it), then a layer of paint, then 3 more layers. Got it down
with a steamer but it takes - get this - almost a minute per sq ft. 30
seconds of steaming in one place, plus scrapy-scrapy.

The other method is to wet it to soaking and keep it that wet for a few
days, I've seen this done by my painter contractor, and it does come
down, after a while I guess it gives up !

I hate wallpaper. you don't mention how much your place is worth, if
it's a valuable/upscale place, I strongly recommend getting that paper
off however it has to be done because painted-over wallpaper looks like
.... painted-over wallpaper.

Good luck !

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had my share of awful wallpaper, last house had 3 layers (one with
foil in it), then a layer of paint, then 3 more layers. Got it down
with a steamer but it takes - get this - almost a minute per sq ft. 30
seconds of steaming in one place, plus scrapy-scrapy.

The other method is to wet it to soaking and keep it that wet for a few
days, I've seen this done by my painter contractor, and it does come
down, after a while I guess it gives up !

I hate wallpaper. you don't mention how much your place is worth, if
it's a valuable/upscale place, I strongly recommend getting that paper
off however it has to be done because painted-over wallpaper looks like
... painted-over wallpaper.

If you don't mind having to inventively retrim the windows/doors, and extend
all the outlet and switch boxes, you could always reskin the walls with 3/8
" drywall. The windows/doors will require either extending the trim, or
buying or making new casing with a kerf for the extra offset. As long as you
only have single-gang electric boxes, the extenders are easy to install.
(I'm sure there are double-gang extenders, but the big-box doesn't carry
them.) Of course, this assumes you are up to mudding and taping the new
drywall.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had my share of awful wallpaper, last house had 3 layers (one with
foil in it), then a layer of paint, then 3 more layers. Got it down
with a steamer but it takes - get this - almost a minute per sq ft. 30
seconds of steaming in one place, plus scrapy-scrapy.

The other method is to wet it to soaking and keep it that wet for a few
days, I've seen this done by my painter contractor, and it does come
down, after a while I guess it gives up !

I hate wallpaper. you don't mention how much your place is worth, if
it's a valuable/upscale place, I strongly recommend getting that paper
off however it has to be done because painted-over wallpaper looks like
... painted-over wallpaper.

Good luck !

I would take a root canal or a kidney stone any day to messing with a lot of
wallpaper. There's just no graceful way of doing it.

What I did find worked the best for me in removing about ten rooms of
wallpaper is two things .............. a sprayer, and a good scraper.

The sprayer was one of those cheap $20 one gallon garden sprayers, and the
scraper of my choice was a derelict metal kitchen spatula that had just the
right edge and spring.

Secret is to let the spray sit long enough to do its work and get into the
glue.

Secondary secrets are using a paper tiger to get the water into some
wallpapers, and using slightly different strategies depending on the
wallpaper (and glue) you are dealing with.

Like I say, there is no graceful way of doing it, and if I had a choice,
I'll take the root canal or kidney stone ANY day!

Steve