Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Removing wallpaper adhesive

Wordy wrote:

Hi,

I have recently used a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the wallpaper
in my cloakroom. This worked fine to remove the paper, but it has left
a adhesive residue on the wall which I cannot see m to get off..

[snip]

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? some cleaner or chemical I could
use to speed up the process..

I had a similar problem a while ago after we moved in here. It looked as if
the previous owners had been _very_ generous in applying the paste. There
was a fairly thick jelly-like layer of paste left after stripping the
paper.

I asked Crown tech. support and got the following reply:

,----
| Thank you for your email enquiry. You can encounter problems when
| using an emulsion on walls which have previously been wallpapered,
| as you rightly say the residue paste can contaminate the surface. If
| you cannot remove all of the paste then I would suggest that you
| use and Alkali Resisting Primer on the wall surface as this will act as
| a barrier to the paste. You can buy this from a trade outlet or the
| International brand also make one which should be available from
| B&Q stores. Please ensure that the room is well ventilated during
| use and drying time.
`----

I tried to remove as much gunge as possible with sugar soap and nylon
scouring pads then applied the suggested primer. That was about 2 years ago
and there's been no problems since.

The warning about ventilation is well justified, that primer stinks
something terrible - and takes it forever to go away.

--
Mike Clarke