Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall Chasers

Hi,

I suspect that I am about to have an awful lot of channels to cut in a
house in preparation for some plumbing and cabling later on.

Whenever I have done this in the past I have generally used a hammer
and chisel, or when I was feeling particularly frustrated an angle
grinder (I shan't be doing that again).

So I am considering adding a wall chaser to my inadequate armoury of
tools. I suspect that over the years it will get plenty of use.

So, my question is, are these as filthy as an angle grinder or can I
expect beautifully neat channels and not a drop of dust to be seen
anywhere?

George

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I suspect that I am about to have an awful lot of channels to cut in a
house in preparation for some plumbing and cabling later on.

Whenever I have done this in the past I have generally used a hammer
and chisel, or when I was feeling particularly frustrated an angle
grinder (I shan't be doing that again).

So I am considering adding a wall chaser to my inadequate armoury of
tools. I suspect that over the years it will get plenty of use.

So, my question is, are these as filthy as an angle grinder or can I
expect beautifully neat channels and not a drop of dust to be seen
anywhere?

George

Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Ramblings chopped
George

Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

Yes, I have seen that. I am hoping someone is going to jump in and say
"Cheap ones are messy, but I have a superduperChaser XL which is very
clean"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I suspect that I am about to have an awful lot of channels to cut in a
house in preparation for some plumbing and cabling later on.

Whenever I have done this in the past I have generally used a hammer
and chisel, or when I was feeling particularly frustrated an angle
grinder (I shan't be doing that again).

So I am considering adding a wall chaser to my inadequate armoury of
tools. I suspect that over the years it will get plenty of use.

So, my question is, are these as filthy as an angle grinder or can I
expect beautifully neat channels and not a drop of dust to be seen
anywhere?

George

Aldi have one on "special" for £44.99 (Started on Sunday 23rd July) this one
has a port for a vacuum cleaner, so I expect this will reduce the mess quite
a lot, but I doubt it will me able to suck it all up!

I can't post a link, as for some stupid reason, as soon as the weeks
specials start, they are removed from the Aldi web site!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
oups.com...

rrh wrote:
"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Ramblings chopped
George

Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

Yes, I have seen that. I am hoping someone is going to jump in and say
"Cheap ones are messy, but I have a superduperChaser XL which is very
clean"

See the thread:
*Very* silly question re SDS drills
Look at:

Or the Aldi version which is cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
"George" wrote in message
[...]

I'd be careful about using a vacuum cleaner. The instructions for our
bagless model specifically warn not to use it for plaster dust.
Presumably it clogs and ruins the filter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Sparks wrote:
"George" wrote in message
[...]

That is certainly true of Dyson, useless for DIY cleaning, filters clog
almost immediately with plaster and cement dust. As regards chasing I
use an SDS with chisel, if I want a particularly "tidy" chase I drill a
series of holes along the course of the chase before chiselling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jul 2006 05:25:24 -0700, George wrote:

So, my question is, are these as filthy as an angle grinder or can I
expect beautifully neat channels

Not such a great idea to "neat" channels. They stand out like a sore thumb
when replastered. I use a gouge in an SDS drill for chasing into walls.
This makes a very neat job but leaves a slightly ragged edge which can be
plastered invisibly.

See Screwfix parts 16724, 13029, 16606

Also:
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/4p...-set-in-wallet

The gouge third from left is very useful.

A rake is also very handy for this sort of work:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/images/Heller/19624.jpg

As is a comb with a TCT tip but I can't find a picture of one of those, I
buy them at my local supplier. Combs are excellent for making a flat bottom
to any channel and they also make short work of punching in the edges to
the channel. If I had to use just one SDS chisel for chasing walls, this
would be it.

and not a drop of dust to be seen
anywhere?

Bwhahahahahahahahaah.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

Yes, I have seen that. I am hoping someone is going to jump in and say
"Cheap ones are messy, but I have a superduperChaser XL which is very
clean"

I hired a Hilti industrial wall chaser and an equally macho dust
extractor a few years ago. Despite the bag on the extractor becoming
rapidly filled with grey dust (about the grade of fine flour), a thin
film of dust was deposited on everything. Luckily I covered the things
I hadn't/couldn't remove with polythene dust sheets first. If you get
one of the Aldi jobs, also get a decent workshop vac and a stack of
dust sheets.

The noise was quite incredible, and even with decent ear defenders I
felt temporarily deafened. You must wear a mask and googles too.

I'd recommend a SDS as a more useful way to spend 50-100 on a new tool.

-Antony.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"George" wrote in message
oups.com...

rrh wrote:
"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Ramblings chopped
George

Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

Yes, I have seen that. I am hoping someone is going to jump in and say
"Cheap ones are messy, but I have a superduperChaser XL which is very
clean"

See the thread:
*Very* silly question re SDS drills
Look at:

Or the Aldi version which is cheaper.

I went into an Aldo today and they had 15 of these chasers. The 18v two
battery 1 to 1.5 charge drill at £19 takes some beating it is of good
quality too. The chargers is quick and cuts off. Well made mouldings and
very solid. 3 yr guarantee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback writes:
"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, my question is, are these as filthy as an angle grinder or can I

Exactly twice as filthy -- imagine using an angle grinder in each hand;-)

That is certainly true of Dyson, useless for DIY cleaning, filters clog
almost immediately with plaster and cement dust. As regards chasing I

This is rubbish. A Dyson is the only domestic cleaner I've found
which comes close to handling the dust output of a plaster chaser.
I can get 3-4 cylinder fulls of fine plaster dust before the filter
needs washing. (The post-motor filter has never needed changing.)
This is a 6 year old DC04 which has been used for building work all its
life (wasn't bought for it, but worked much better than one that was).
If you are going to use a Dyson for this, get a spare filter so you
can pop it when whilst the other one is drying out. However, beware
of a couple of things:- the dust will sand-blast the inside of the
clear dust cylinder, so it won't be clear anymore, and when emptying,
note that a cylinder full of plaster dust weighs more than the handle
on the cylinder is designed for (no I haven't broken it, but I suspect
I came close on one occasion). Other than that, it works great.

A Henry worked for about 1 minute until it had got too clogged,
which to be fair, is some 4 times longer than any other bagged
vacuum cleaner. However, a Henry has significantly less suck than
a Dyson, which means even for the short period it did work, there
was still loads of dust spewing out from the sides of the chaser.

use an SDS with chisel, if I want a particularly "tidy" chase I drill a
series of holes along the course of the chase before chiselling.

Wall Chasers make very tidy chases, although that's not necessarily
a good thing. When making good afterwards, your eyes are very good at
picking out any evidence of the straight edges which might show in
the final decorations, whereas a rough edge will not be as noticable.
If you are inserting oval trunking into the chase, cut freehand to
a line -- the natural undulations in your freehand cut will grip the
trunking until it's plastered in. I did once tack a piece of wood up
the wall to act as a guide, and the oval trunking kept falling out of
the perfectly straight chase;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
.uk...

Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

The spark that did our recent part-rewire used a Bosch Blue one. 2 diamond
cutting wheels at adjustable distances apart. Connected to the hoover made
virtually no mess - the messy part was taking a bolster to the now cut
channel and that falling out on the floor. Was quite impressed. AIUI - it
wasn't cheap - but as he put it - same cutting wheels as when I got it 3
years ago - gets used several times a week - does the job - what more could
I want.

Cheers
Dan.

Block Retaining Wall Cracks Caused by Lull Forklift Very Near It wizguru Home Repair 4 June 22nd 06 05:44 PM
Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM