Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Wall Chasers

wrote:
Sparks wrote:
"George" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I suspect that I am about to have an awful lot of channels to cut in a
house in preparation for some plumbing and cabling later on.

Whenever I have done this in the past I have generally used a hammer
and chisel, or when I was feeling particularly frustrated an angle
grinder (I shan't be doing that again).

So I am considering adding a wall chaser to my inadequate armoury of
tools. I suspect that over the years it will get plenty of use.

So, my question is, are these as filthy as an angle grinder or can I
expect beautifully neat channels and not a drop of dust to be seen
anywhere?

George

Aldi have one on "special" for £44.99 (Started on Sunday 23rd July) this one
has a port for a vacuum cleaner, so I expect this will reduce the mess quite
a lot, but I doubt it will me able to suck it all up!

I can't post a link, as for some stupid reason, as soon as the weeks
specials start, they are removed from the Aldi web site!

I'd be careful about using a vacuum cleaner. The instructions for our
bagless model specifically warn not to use it for plaster dust.
Presumably it clogs and ruins the filter?

That is certainly true of Dyson, useless for DIY cleaning, filters clog
almost immediately with plaster and cement dust. As regards chasing I
use an SDS with chisel, if I want a particularly "tidy" chase I drill a
series of holes along the course of the chase before chiselling.