Posted to uk.d-i-y
Antony Antony is offline

Default Wall Chasers

George wrote:
Have never used one myself but if you google the group you will find
numerous references to the fact that they create a vast amount of mess.

Yes, I have seen that. I am hoping someone is going to jump in and say
"Cheap ones are messy, but I have a superduperChaser XL which is very
clean"

I hired a Hilti industrial wall chaser and an equally macho dust
extractor a few years ago. Despite the bag on the extractor becoming
rapidly filled with grey dust (about the grade of fine flour), a thin
film of dust was deposited on everything. Luckily I covered the things
I hadn't/couldn't remove with polythene dust sheets first. If you get
one of the Aldi jobs, also get a decent workshop vac and a stack of
dust sheets.

The noise was quite incredible, and even with decent ear defenders I
felt temporarily deafened. You must wear a mask and googles too.

I'd recommend a SDS as a more useful way to spend 50-100 on a new tool.

-Antony.