Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Push fit soil boss connector

After the dreaded ceiling damp patch, I have succeeded in raising a
portion of chipboard flooring and identified the problem as a leak
where the bathroom basin waste enters a short horizontal section of
110mm soil pipe at a boss connector. The toilet also connects at this
same boss, toilet in the top and basin waste at the side
Ob

The house is about 15 years old. The basin waste connector to the boss
had half fallen out. The connector is 40mm push fit and looks more like
a mini toilet pan connector with 3-4 rings of rubber which form the
seal.
Is the best course of action to try and source a new seal (any ideas?)
or clean the old one up and add some other form of sealant as well
before re-assembling. You may have some other ideas as well. The soil
pipe is under the floor and I am loathe to have to replumb the waste
from the basin as access to this is very poor.

Thanks for your time

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnW wrote:
After the dreaded ceiling damp patch, I have succeeded in raising a
portion of chipboard flooring and identified the problem as a leak
where the bathroom basin waste enters a short horizontal section of
110mm soil pipe at a boss connector. The toilet also connects at this
same boss, toilet in the top and basin waste at the side

The house is about 15 years old. The basin waste connector to the boss
had half fallen out. The connector is 40mm push fit and looks more like
a mini toilet pan connector with 3-4 rings of rubber which form the
seal.
Is the best course of action to try and source a new seal (any ideas?)

One of these?
Readily obtainable at a plumber's merchant if you don't want the
delivery charge.

But do you know why it's come out? Badly fitted originally? Maybe the
pipework was under stress? You need to prevent the cause or it will
just happen again.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
JohnW writes
[...]

If it's the kind I think it is then they have a reputation for popping out. You
may find that the boss itself is solvent compatible allowing you to use a
solvent adaptor to mate securely with a solvent pipe. That said, I would
consider some way of dismounting the (small) pipe in case of blockage,
you could do that by using a straight compression coupler just a bit back
from the boss. See the BES site for examples: http://www.bes.ltd.uk item
12993, http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp near the bottom (valid for
this catalogue only). Actually, item 12987 (same page) may do both jobs
in one.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

connecting kitchen waste to soil pipe Bodgit UK diy 3 February 22nd 06 09:53 PM
Cast Iron Soil Pipe Advice Stephen UK diy 2 May 4th 05 07:18 AM
Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 04:32 PM
WC soil Pipe hays UK diy 17 October 30th 03 05:21 PM
Connecting Delinghi Gas Cooker to flexible (threaded) hose connector Ghazali UK diy 5 August 27th 03 04:43 PM