Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Push fit soil boss connector

In article . com,
JohnW writes
After the dreaded ceiling damp patch, I have succeeded in raising a
portion of chipboard flooring and identified the problem as a leak
where the bathroom basin waste enters a short horizontal section of
110mm soil pipe at a boss connector. The toilet also connects at this
same boss, toilet in the top and basin waste at the side
Ob

The house is about 15 years old. The basin waste connector to the boss
had half fallen out. The connector is 40mm push fit and looks more like
a mini toilet pan connector with 3-4 rings of rubber which form the
seal.
Is the best course of action to try and source a new seal (any ideas?)
or clean the old one up and add some other form of sealant as well
before re-assembling. You may have some other ideas as well. The soil
pipe is under the floor and I am loathe to have to replumb the waste
from the basin as access to this is very poor.

If it's the kind I think it is then they have a reputation for popping out. You
may find that the boss itself is solvent compatible allowing you to use a
solvent adaptor to mate securely with a solvent pipe. That said, I would
consider some way of dismounting the (small) pipe in case of blockage,
you could do that by using a straight compression coupler just a bit back
from the boss. See the BES site for examples: http://www.bes.ltd.uk item
12993, http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp near the bottom (valid for
this catalogue only). Actually, item 12987 (same page) may do both jobs
in one.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla