Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default planning rules????

Hi O knowledgeable ones.....

I am hoping to have an extension on my house for my Aged P to live in so I
can look after him. It will consist of a living room/bedroom with a bathroom
and be a single storey.

There is an existing "sun room" (estate agents words) and shed where the new
extension will be, it will cover the same floor area. There used to be an
old brick built coal shed and wash house on the area before that the
exsisting structure replaced.

The neighbours house (that this will all join on to) is much longer and
taller than mine with no windows on the side of my proposed ext. The new
building will not take anyones light and will not encroach on my garden
(anymore than the exsisting stuff).

Has anyone had experience of planning departments and the planning process
in general? My council offer a free drop in thing to speak "informally" to a
planner, any idea what I need to take? Would some pictures, a drawing of my
own and an ordnance survey plan of my house (from the council) be enough? I
don't want to get proper drawings done yet!

And on the subject of drawings....roughly how much are they?

Ta muchly IA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MadJen wrote:
[...]

Take some photographs, from as many angles as you can, also take a brief
sketch of the outline of the proposed structure - this only needs to be a
rough sketch, but try to get the dimensions correct (ish)

And on the subject of drawings....roughly how much are they?

They vary from place to place, but around £300 should cover them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
MadJen wrote:
[...]

Thanks Phil, very odd but I had the figure of £300 in my head...dunno where
from though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MadJen wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
MadJen wrote:
[...]

You are better off ringing a few builders from the local papers and tell
them that you are having an extension built and the first thing they will
ask is 'have you got your plans drawn?'...you say 'no, who do you suggest?'
and they will give you a reccomendation, you'll find that the same name
usually crops up more than once

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is an existing "sun room" (estate agents words) and shed where the
new
extension will be, it will cover the same floor area. There used to be an
old brick built coal shed and wash house on the area before that the
exsisting structure replaced.

You may be able to get this done under permitted development without having
to submit fees or plans, or have the opportunity for refusal. The rules can
be quite complex and it is worth still meeting with the planners for their
opinion. If it comes under permitted development, you can just do the work,
although having a letter from the council saying they agree is good for
piece of mind.

In my case, I just went ahead without the letter, as they didn't respond to
my email! Hopefully there won't be a problem. You will still need contact
with the council with regard to building regulations.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "PhilC" contains these words:

Is your aged parent in any way disabled? If so different rules apply - if
the extension is designed for use by someone disabled local authority waive
certain planning rules. Not sure about the most recent changes but worth a
try

Also affects Council Tax liability.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MadJen" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi O knowledgeable ones.....

I am hoping to have an extension on my house for my Aged P to live in so I
can look after him. It will consist of a living room/bedroom with a
bathroom
and be a single storey.

There's quite a lot of web-based information on what used to be the 'John
Prescott' odpm sites covering precisely these questions .... FAQs include;
'do I need planning permission?; how do I proceed? ; etc. etc.. . BTW the
ODPM is now splintered off and Roof Kelly is ,apparently, responsible for
roofs, walls, windows etc. ... her bailiwick seems to be called DCLG (this
week) ' ... don'cha just lurve 'communities' ...!

Basically, you are permitted to 'develop' your house by n cubic metres
volume _without_ planning permission (but you must comply with (separate)
Building Regulations, this is called PD (Permitted Development). If your
building is going to have a change of use ... multiple occupancy? ... then
you _may_ require planning permission. Charges seem to vary by council -
there's a requirement for the planning department to be self-financing,
AIUI.

My council charges a £135 fee on submission of an application for planning
permission. The drawings submitted are little more than sketches depicting
how the house looks before and after the proposed change(s). Once planning
permission has been given a set of detailed (full) drawing needs to be
submitted to the separate Building Control department . Within two hundred
metres of my house at least three 'extensions' have been 'erected' without
planning permission within the 'permitted development' limits of the
original house. Contrary wise; there's an equal number of houses that needed
planning permission because they didn't want to be constrained to the limits
imposed by PD.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"MadJen" wrote in message
[...]

So how do I work out the cubic metres of my house?? Is it just a case of
measuring each room?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:10:26 GMT someone who may be "MadJen"
wrote this:-

I am hoping to have an extension on my house for my Aged P to live in so I
can look after him. It will consist of a living room/bedroom with a bathroom
and be a single storey.

This might or might not be a permitted development, it depends on
the precise details. A search engine will pull up the regulations
for your particular country, which you didn't state. Read, mark and
inwardly digest them as they may be useful.

Planning officials are much maligned, but are actually the normal
mixture of good, bad and indifferent one encounters in any group.
Most are reasonably approachable and worth chatting with.

I can think of a few stupidities from such officials, the Wendy
House in Edinburgh being a good example of this. On the other hand I
can think of a number of counter examples where such officials were
very sensible. See what they have to say.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So how do I work out the cubic metres of my house?? Is it just a case of
measuring each room?

It is done by external volume, not room volume. However, there are also
maximum and minimum limits and average sized houses actually come under the
minimum limit, which means that you can have at least 50m3 for a terrace and
70m3 for another house.

Assuming an average height to roof of 3m for a single storey extension, this
allows 4m x 4m for a terrace and 4.8m x 4.8m for a semi/detached.

If your house is particularly large to start with, you get more. Note that
if the coal shed and wash house existed in 1948 (or thereabouts), then the
volume taken by those original buildings can be discounted from the
addition. i.e. if they already took 30m3, then you can add that to the
figure above, even if you intend to demolish them.

Make sure you get the council's agreement before you proceed, though! There
are many possible gotchas and local interpretations.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:02:27 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Make sure you get the council's agreement before you proceed, though! There
are many possible gotchas and local interpretations.

From memory if the planned extension is near a boundry, for example I
think that excludes the option of using permitted development rights.
The location of the windows would also be important. Talk to your
local planning officer. He/she can tell you better than I.

Mark

planning enforcement 4 years rule and satellite dishes fancyabrew UK diy 1 June 26th 06 04:15 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Planning application process - and complaint? mich UK diy 14 July 17th 04 09:46 PM
Attached Garage and Planning Permission for Change of Use Jizzy_Lizzy UK diy 13 July 3rd 04 03:09 PM
default planning permission? Brian S Gray UK diy 11 August 30th 03 06:42 PM